You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Knockdown Power

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 08:52 PM   #41
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9095 Times on 5278 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
I personally know 13 people who were shot with everything from a 22 lr to 44 magnums.
I read this and the first thought I had was "Man. You gotta get some smarter friends!"

I know a few people who have been shot, outside of the veterans I know who were shot in combat (that to me is a different category entirely- and thank you all for your service) I think all the others (maybe 1 or 2?) were shot as the result of some stupidity on their part. I don't hang out with them anymore.
Seven Likes This 
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #42
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad
I have never seen a baseball pitcher fly backwards off the mound when he throws the ball.

That's all. I'm moving along now.
I have to agree

Old 11-23-2012, 01:04 AM   #43

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
I read this and the first thought I had was "Man. You gotta get some smarter friends!"

I know a few people who have been shot, outside of the veterans I know who were shot in combat (that to me is a different category entirely- and thank you all for your service) I think all the others (maybe 1 or 2?) were shot as the result of some stupidity on their part. I don't hang out with them anymore.
You have came to the same conclusion my wife arrived at years ago, I attract odd friends. Most all were accident. Hanging around guns for over 50 years, alot of friends are met and mishaps happen. One of the 44 magnum wounded friends , worked for my father. After work he was chasing jackrabbits, in Safford AZ, in his ford pickup. Hitting an unexpected ditch, the truck went airborn and upon landing, he sat on his loaded 44 handgun that discharged. The bullet entered his right butt cheek, did not enter his chest cavity, but instead traveled between his skin and muscle and exited near his off shoulder. I saw him a week later and he was a huge walking bruise. The other 44 wound I mentioned haunts these sites on occasion. Mike from Idaho, if you are here, imform the forum about the time you accidentally shot yourself through the groin. Mike had to call the ambulence himself cause his wife passed out when she saw the blood. For you gun guys from northern New Mexico, an imfamous gun shop just closed. The owner retired and goes by his intials only. This should give a hint to the next story. Those that know of whom I talk can ask him what it is like to be a boy of 7 years and be shot through the chest with a 22 rifle by his older brother. Just 3 stories. Worst, all the people I talked of survived. I know a few that didnt, sad to say.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:14 AM   #44

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
This topic comes around now and then and I've read several threads, but I just thought of a new way to think about it that makes sense.

I've read enough threads and done some calculations, to say that a 45 acp has knockdown power similar to an 80 mph fastball... which isn't that much "knockdown power". Knockdown power is generally a myth.
It was a cold morning in Korea when we came under attack by the North Koreans they were doped up as usual and the 30-06 rounds from the M1s and other weapons were not haveing a lot of effect on them it was taken several hits to put a man down except for the 45 acp which was knocking them off their feet with one hit.
I wish you could have been there to witness this and then see what you have to say about stopping power being a myth

Last edited by winds-of-change; 11-29-2012 at 08:30 AM.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:11 AM   #45

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobilly View Post
then see what you have to say about stopping power being a myth
I'm pretty sure nobody said stopping power was a myth. Stopping power is real and different from knockdown power.

Somebody was definitely on the dope though if they saw anybody "knocked off their feet" though with a 45.
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 11-23-2012, 06:21 AM   #46

Liked 295 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRau

Those of us who 'have been there, saw that, done that, AND have the scars to prove it' deal in probability, not possibility!
Nuff said!
Deal in all you want, I prefer to prepare and when doing so I try to account for both. Seems to me that the two coexist. Just my dime.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #47

Liked 128 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 13

There's a boatload of bull**** in this thread.
I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?

Old 11-23-2012, 03:46 PM   #48
hmh

Liked 289 Times on 192 Posts

Yea but it is entertaining.

Old 11-23-2012, 03:54 PM   #49

Liked 2184 Times on 1472 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30remchester View Post
You have came to the same conclusion my wife arrived at years ago, I attract odd friends. Most all were accident.
Quote:
Hanging around guns for over 50 years,
alot of friends are met and mishaps happen. One of the 44 magnum wounded friends , worked for my father. After work he was chasing jackrabbits, in Safford AZ, in his ford pickup. Hitting an unexpected ditch, the truck went airborn and upon landing, he sat on his loaded 44 handgun that discharged. The bullet entered his right butt cheek, did not enter his chest cavity, but instead traveled between his skin and muscle and exited near his off shoulder. I saw him a week later and he was a huge walking bruise. The other 44 wound I mentioned haunts these sites on occasion. Mike from Idaho, if you are here, imform the forum about the time you accidentally shot yourself through the groin. Mike had to call the ambulence himself cause his wife passed out when she saw the blood. For you gun guys from northern New Mexico, an imfamous gun shop just closed. The owner retired and goes by his intials only. This should give a hint to the next story. Those that know of whom I talk can ask him what it is like to be a boy of 7 years and be shot through the chest with a 22 rifle by his older brother. Just 3 stories. Worst, all the people I talked of survived. I know a few that didnt, sad to say.
So have I-- I KNOW zero people who have been shot by accident (aside from myself & thats another story)
If all thats true you know far too many stoopid people

Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #50

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts

The above replies are the very reason I seldom post on forums. Many believe if it didnt happen to them then it didnt happen. I thought the room would like some actual experences rather than theory. As to me knowning alot of stupid people, I have to disagree. I quess it was incredably stupid for a friend to be playing golf when an errant bullet from a kids 22, that was shooting praire dogs a distance away, hit him in the head. Any how stupid it must have been for my father-in-law to hang upside down in a B-17 over Germany while people shot at him. And how stupid it was to be shot in the head and survive in a rice paddy in Vietnam. And how dare a friend get shot through the knee in Iraq while trying to help a wounded buddy. Stupid? I call this brave and patriotic. This will be the end of my posts as I have an antique rifle to try out on an elk, hopefully.

Closed Thread