Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Knockdown Power (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/knockdown-power-76830/)

Marthor 11-21-2012 05:26 PM

Knockdown Power

This topic comes around now and then and I've read several threads, but I just thought of a new way to think about it that makes sense.

I've read enough threads and done some calculations, to say that a 45 acp has knockdown power similar to an 80 mph fastball... which isn't that much "knockdown power". Knockdown power is generally a myth.

The new way to think about it though is "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". If you fire a weapon that knocks you back on your butt, then yes, that probably has some real "knockdown power". But that's going to be something like an elephant gun, that is hard to manhandle the kickback.

Just thought I'd share. Knockdown power makes more sense to me thinking about it that way. Cheers! :cool:

downsouth 11-21-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthor
This topic comes around now and then and I've read several threads, but I just thought of a new way to think about it that makes sense.

I've read enough threads and done some calculations, to say that a 45 acp has knockdown power similar to an 80 mph fastball... which isn't that much "knockdown power". Knockdown power is generally a myth.

The new way to think about it though is "for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction". If you fire a weapon that knocks you back on your butt, then yes, that probably has some real "knockdown power". But that's going to be something like an elephant gun, that is hard to manhandle the kickback.

Just thought I'd share. Knockdown power makes more sense to me thinking about it that way. Cheers! :cool:

Question; which would you rather be hit in the chest with, an 80mph fastball or a 45 cal 230gr bullet going 850fps.

Yep, I thought so. Case closed.

Zamzow 11-21-2012 05:36 PM

What about a 12 gauge shotgun. Me thinks that has plenty of knock down power being that shotguns r normally close range.

Marthor 11-21-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by downsouth (Post 1022551)
Question; which would you rather be hit in the chest with, an 80mph fastball or a 45 cal 230gr bullet going 850fps.

Yep, I thought so. Case closed.

Not sure what your point is? The topic was "knockdown power".

Your question is regarding the effects besides knockdown power. Reduce the surface area and increase the speed would have more penetration when it hits, but the approximate same knockdown power. So, the bullet's penetration into your chest would be less desirable.

Wear a steel plate on your chest. The force felt will be similar.

Marthor 11-21-2012 05:46 PM

Regarding equal and opposite reactions...

You can also imagine that if a 45 acp is like an 80 mph fastball, then the recoil is also similar to catching an 80mph fastball in your hands.

Having fired enough 45 ACP and also having caught enough baseballs and softballs, I can imagine and agree that they are pretty close in the force felt.

manta 11-21-2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zamzow (Post 1022553)
What about a 12 gauge shotgun. Me thinks that has plenty of knock down power being that shotguns r normally close range.

If you take the saying knock down power literally then as said before for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. So for a shotgun to have enough energy to knock Someone down it would put the person shooting the shotgun on his back shooting it. A .45 might cause a person to lie down but it won't knock him down.

Marthor 11-21-2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zamzow (Post 1022553)

My 12 gauge shotgun has a good kick, but it doesn't knock me down when I fire it.

HOSSFLY 11-21-2012 06:03 PM

I ain't even gettin into this again :o

Garadex 11-21-2012 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
'nuf said...

zx9rt1 11-21-2012 06:41 PM

Knock down power huh? I guess you would look pretty silly every time you fired your weapon and it knocked you down. You must be talking about power factor. Yep, I'm going to pass on this topic as well.