Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Kimber Micro Carry 380 Review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2068 Times on 1123 Posts
Likes Given: 747

Default Kimber Micro Carry 380 Review

I took my new Kimber 380 to the range yesterday. With the help of one of my friends who brought along another box of 380, we were able to put about 115 rounds through the pistol. As we all know, it's tough finding 380.

It is a very soft shooting pistol. Unlike the S&W Bodyguard 380 that I had for three years (and which it replaced), this pistol is actually very pleasant to shoot. It's almost hard to believe, but this mouse-gun is actually fun to shoot. This is a 380 that I think even my wife would enjoy shooting.

The accuracy is excellent, particularly compared to the Bodyguard. The SAO trigger is right around 7 pounds, and is very crisp. The 3 dot sights are impressive. I see no need to replace them with night sights at this time. I was consistently shooting 4" groups at about 20 to 30 feet. That's not too bad for a pocket pistol and me. And it's far better than anything I ever shot with the S&W. My friend Dale was tightening up his group to around 3".

The grips are of a softer synthetic feeling material and well checkered. This combined with the aggressive checkering on the back and front strap give you a lot to hang on to even though there is no pinky extension on the grip or magazine.

I had one FTF on the first magazine. I figure that's not unusual straight out of the box. Then there were two failures to go back into battery using the cheap stuff. Considering the inconsistencies of where the empties were being thrown, those may have been light loads. Some of the loads were light enough that if felt like I could time the cycling of the slide. While the slide is not heavy, it is definitely more substantial than most pocket 380's.

When I loaded up a box of Hornady Critical Defense, it ran flawlessly. The gun really soaks up the extra pop of the hot loads. I'm curious now to get a box or two of Buffalo Bore or similar +P ammo to see how this pistol handles it. Considering how it performed yesterday, I expect it will handle it quite well.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
Mercator Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-16-2014, 04:27 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1684 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Did you get a chance to compare it to the SIG 238 or the Colt Mustang in .380?

Old 06-16-2014, 04:46 PM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I was only able to compare them in the shop, not on the range. I spent a lot of time comparing the Kimber and the Sig. The Sig is very comparable, but just didn't quite feel as nice in the hand to me. The grip feels just a tiny bit shorter than the Kimber. I was very tempted considering how many different variations are available right now with the Sig. But the Kimber just felt better in my hand. I would say the Kimber and Sig are in parity with one another and the differences are personal preference.

The Colt... well... it may be a Colt, but I wasn't terribly impressed. The sights were awful (practically non-existent). And nothing really stood out about the gun.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 06-16-2014 at 04:51 PM.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #4

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Interarms imported the Star DK in the fifties and sixties, the Colt and Sig pistols are close knock off's to the DK. I have all three and enjoy shooting them, as the OP indicated they are really fun to shoot unlike some other small .380 pistols. Now if you want to step up to 9mm the Sig P 938 is another winner.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 793 Times on 366 Posts
Likes Given: 375

Congratulations thats a sweet looking piece! Kimber gets a lot of negative comments here but I have the Crimson Pro Carry and its great looking very accurate and I love it.
I was seriously considering the Solo but I'm not sure after reading a few revues.

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

Last edited by Pasquanel; 06-19-2014 at 08:46 PM. Reason: forgot something

Old 06-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
I was only able to compare them in the shop, not on the range. I spent a lot of time comparing the Kimber and the Sig. The Sig is very comparable, but just didn't quite feel as nice in the hand to me. The grip feels just a tiny bit shorter than the Kimber. I was very tempted considering how many different variations are available right now with the Sig. But the Kimber just felt better in my hand. I would say the Kimber and Sig are in parity with one another and the differences are personal preference.

The Colt... well... it may be a Colt, but I wasn't terribly impressed. The sights were awful (practically non-existent). And nothing really stood out about the gun.
Ghe 238 has real sights, but it has a "defensive" trigger pull. Just wondering if Kimber went the same way, for the lawyers sake.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:07 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Ghe 238 has real sights, but it has a "defensive" trigger pull. Just wondering if Kimber went the same way, for the lawyers sake.
The Kimber has a slightly lighter trigger than the Sig, so it's more in line with what would be termed a defensive trigger. While it is no measure in ounces, breathe on it and if fires, target gun trigger; it is much better than my former S&W 380, the LCP, the Kahr, just about any pocket gun I've handled and only slightly edging out the Sig in that regard.

And yes, if you go back through my posts; you will find me saying I just couldn't imagine carrying cocked & locked in my pocket. Disregard everything I said on the matter.

Scott

Quote:
Quote:

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 06-19-2014 at 11:10 PM.

Old 06-19-2014, 11:33 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
The Kimber has a slightly lighter trigger than the Sig, so it's more in line with what would be termed a defensive trigger. While it is no measure in ounces, breathe on it and if fires, target gun trigger; it is much better than my former S&W 380, the LCP, the Kahr, just about any pocket gun I've handled and only slightly edging out the Sig in that regard.

And yes, if you go back through my posts; you will find me saying I just couldn't imagine carrying cocked & locked in my pocket. Disregard everything I said on the matter.
Same here. I wasn't saying because wasn't asked. But totally agree cocked/locked in the pocket is dangerous especially for a miniature gun, especially if you have meaty hands.