Kel-Tek PF9
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Kel-Tek PF9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2014, 12:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Default Kel-Tek PF9

I'm going to be getting a kel-tek pf9 this weekend and I was wondering everyone's thoughts on them. I've read a lot of reviews on them and see that they are kinda junk. Does or has anybody have or had one? Is there anything I can do to make them reliable? The one I'm getting is having problems with ejecting. I have read the the extractor spring sometimes comes loose or are just weak. I plan on using this one for experience in gunsmithing for myself. Let me know your thoughts.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-11-2014, 01:26 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2028 Times on 1406 Posts
Likes Given: 1038

One word for that is "inconsistent". There is no way to tell how every new PF9 will behave until you start practicing with it. Some people are very happy with theirs. I wasn't.

It's been a while, so correct me if I am wrong, but I think the extractor is actually removed for regular field stripping. That means easy, and probably cheap, replacement.

Another word from experience, you may have to shoot the heck out of it to polish it internally and break in. Also prepare to accept the fact that your PF9 does not like wide nosed hollowpoints. You will get to know it soon enough. Good luck and good shooting.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1669 Times on 1145 Posts
Likes Given: 588

I have a P11. I can easily carry the P11 in my pocket. If you are a tinkerer Kel Tec is all right. You get a pistol you will carry a lot for a great price. Kel Tecs have a lot of small parts that you will have to change as maintenance. Personally, I would look at the Ruger LC9. The size advantages of the Kel Tec is meaningless if you can't keep it running.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-11-2014, 02:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I'm paying $100 for it. So to me it's a win win. If I can fix it then awesome if not then I'm sure I will learn something trying. I have all the machines I might need and I know the concept of how a gun works. I just need the hands on.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1669 Times on 1145 Posts
Likes Given: 588

Quote:
Originally Posted by foot2400 View Post
Thanks for the replies. I'm paying $100 for it. So to me it's a win win. If I can fix it then awesome if not then I'm sure I will learn something trying. I have all the machines I might need and I know the concept of how a gun works. I just need the hands on.
You need a set of long roll pin punches to fix a Kel Tec. The Harbor freight punches are fine. The pins are not hard to get out. You want to have the right size punch to eliminate collateral damage. Parts are cheap and easy through the kel tec store.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 04-11-2014, 02:45 AM   #6
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1096 Posts
Likes Given: 602

Crap shoot. I had a really good P11. I wanted something a little smaller and traded for a PF9. Big mistake. I got rid of it and picked up another newer P11 but it was not the same. My old one had been worked over by the gunsmith I bought it from. It had a decent trigger and never malfunctioned in over 6K rounds. Mostly reloads. I did have one dead primer but nothing would set that one off. The P3AT was reliable but miserable to shoot. No more Keltecs unless I run across a sub 2000 cheap.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am who I am and your approval is not needed.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:43 AM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 895 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 90

I carry the Kel tek, I have the belt clip kit installed plus the trigger addition.
It fits so flat you can carry with just a T shirt to cover it. I wear mine between my pants and belt, clipped on my belt.
If you buy one, contact Kel Tek for the clip kit, about $12.00
dscn0631_resized.jpg

JP-US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings
US Naval Academy Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) and shooting team member
Alway keep your six covered

Last edited by Dearhunter; 04-15-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:02 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

My father was going to get the PF9 but the gander moutain guy told him Kel-Tek has had a rough history of their quality in firearms. I can't really say anything becuase I have never dealt with Kel-Tec firearms. If I were you, I would get it and go through at least 250-500 rounds of ammo and if it fails, then that is better than needing it and it fails.

REMEMBER: .380'S AND POCKET PISTOLS ARE NOT BUILT TO BE RANGE GUNS. THEY WEAR OUT SOOO FAST BECAUSE THEY ARE PURELY MEANT FOR SELF DEFENSE!

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 04-11-2014, 04:22 AM   #9
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3189 Times on 2169 Posts
Likes Given: 695

Default Kel-Tek PF9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Crap shoot. I had a really good P11. I wanted something a little smaller and traded for a PF9. Big mistake. I got rid of it and picked up another newer P11 but it was not the same. My old one had been worked over by the gunsmith I bought it from. It had a decent trigger and never malfunctioned in over 6K rounds. Mostly reloads. I did have one dead primer but nothing would set that one off. The P3AT was reliable but miserable to shoot. No more Keltecs unless I run across a sub 2000 cheap.

Agreed, and besides the Sub 2000, A PLR 16 or PLR 22, Or PMR-30...I have a P3AT i'm messing around with,...I got it in trade for some 45ACP ammo. If I get it fixed and working, big win...if not,..It'srty something to practice with. I'd rather have the P11 because the grip is slightly larger and thus, somewhat better overall. Buddy of mine has 2 PF9's, a P11, and an SU-16 in his motor home, and swears by them,...
CDNN has Mags for all the Kel-Tec Guns BTW ....OP: Make sure every Mag you buy feeds cleanly, and get a good after market grip, if you can find one, and if you can make it work right, it will wind up being a good pocket gun. But watch what you FEED it. Someone above mentioned Wide nosed HP's which in fact are advised against. If you can find JSP's, use them. Some heavier HPs(124Gr. & 147Gr.) are also recommended.

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Last edited by DrFootball; 04-11-2014 at 05:03 AM.

Old 04-11-2014, 03:57 PM   #10

I have read good things about the P11. But I haven't seen one in person yet. Thanks again everyone for advise.

Dr. I glad u mentioned CDNN for mags because this one only has one mag with it. That was going to be one of the first things I replace. As far as grips hogue makes a nice little slide over rubber grip I was going to try out. The gun will be here Monday so I keep everyone posted.