Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Kel-Tec PLR16 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/kel-tec-plr16-57179/)

Corwin46 02-07-2012 02:57 AM

Kel-Tec PLR16

I've been looking at the Kel-Tec website the last few days. The prices on their guns are very reasonable but I can't find much info on them. I've been thinking about their PLR 16 pistol in .223 as a trunk gun since they will work with standard M16 mags. Has anyone fired one of these or have any info they could share on it.

Thanks,
Corwin46

RhettButler 02-13-2012 12:33 AM

I love mine. I've only put a few hundred rounds through it.
The open sights are pretty fun. I somehow ended up with a new Simmons 2X6x32 telescope. It is destined to top the PLR.

I did put the Kel-Tec muzzle brake on. It works well. I don't have much knowledge of AR's and such battle rifles. If you do, a better might certainly be out there.

With the open sights, mine seems to like Black Hills remanufactured 55 gr. I think it's the 55.

Happy blasting

Corwin46 02-18-2012 09:51 PM

thanks for the info. I actually got a lot of info on the PLR in the rifle forum where I had asked about the Kel-Tec su-16 series of rifles.

Paladin201 02-18-2012 11:01 PM

I used to own an SU-16, and loved it. Utterly reliable. And reasonably accurate. The PLR 16 is the same gun, just minus the stock and a shorter barrel.

The only issue I had, unless Kel-Tec has changed, mine was chambered only for .223, not 5.56. That's why I sold it and went with an AR-15 instead.

RhettButler 02-20-2012 03:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paladin201
I used to own an SU-16, and loved it. Utterly reliable. And reasonably accurate. The PLR 16 is the same gun, just minus the stock and a shorter barrel.

The only issue I had, unless Kel-Tec has changed, mine was chambered only for .223, not 5.56. That's why I sold it and went with an AR-15 instead.

John Taffin topped a PLR and did 5/8" group at a 100 yards off a rest. He had rather powerful Leupold EER on top.

Would you please thumbnail the difference between the NATO spec. round and the .223 Remington? I obviously have some trust in you and don't trust the information I've received. I don't need a dissertation, just a short "Let me 'slain it to you, Lucy."

sierram37 02-20-2012 04:51 AM

It think it's as simple as the gun should be marked 5.56 and you shoot 5.56 or .223 in that gun. You should not shoot 5.56 in a gun marked .223, only .223

rachilders 02-21-2012 02:28 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The PLR-16 is chambered for the 5.56mm round as per the manufactures website so it will take either 5.56 NATO or .223 ammo with no problems. Also, the mark on the receiver of my PLR-16 says 5.56mm if that helps with your ammo question. FWIW, most modern rifles will accept both rounds without a problem regardless of the caliber marking, but some older guns chambered for the .223 may have seating and extraction problems due to the 5.56's more robust design and higher pressures. this is a quote from Wikipedia on the subject... "While the 5.56mm NATO and .223 Remington cartridges and chamberings are very similar, they are not identical. The 5.56mm NATO chambering, known as a NATO or mil-spec chamber, has a longer leade, which is the distance between the mouth of the cartridge and the point at which the rifling engages the bullet. The .223 Remington chambering, known as SAAMI chamber, is allowed to have a shorter leade and is only required to be proof tested to lower a chamber pressure of 55,000 psi vs. 62,000 psi for the 5.56mm. Using commercial .223 Remington cartridges in a 5.56mm NATO chambered rifle should work reliably, but generally will not be as accurate as when fired from a .223 Remington chambered gun due to the longer leade. Using 5.56mm NATO mil-spec cartridges (such as the M855) in a .223 Remington chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe, and the SAAMI recommends against the practice."

I've had my gun for over 5 years with no complaints. It's accurate at 100 yards (can EASILY hit soda can's at that range all day long) and it's an easy gun to maintain. FYI, I turned my PLR-16 into a SBR by adding a rear stock. I did it LEGALLY by getting a Class III stamp from the BATF, then replacing the pistol grip with the folding stock from a SU-16C. Here are a few photo's. FWIW, the rear stock was $80 from the Kel-Tec website store and is a major aid in keeping the gun steady when aiming, which aids accuracy tremendously.

RhettButler 02-21-2012 03:55 PM

Thanks, RAC.

I had seen for years folks mix n match NATO with civilian. I had an 18 yo friend who shot at Camp Perry several years during high school. He blithely mixed ammo and shot one-holes at 100 yrds with a Rock River.
He had mentioned the leade and the physical size of the cartridge case. But the confidence of youth adds a grain of salt to a young man's opinions. chuckles
I'll take his word backed by Wiki- though separately they would remain suspect. I never could find SAAMI specs on NATO. Just hadn't done enough research.

LudicrousSpeed 02-22-2012 03:23 PM

I just purchased one of these yesterday and cannot wait to pick it up in two more days!

A few questions:

Can you use any AR muzzlebreak on it or do you have to use the Keltec one?

Where is the best place to get the fore-end?

Thanks in advance!

rachilders 02-22-2012 10:14 PM

Yes, you can use any flash suppressor/muzzle brake that fits on an AR with a standard 5.56mm barrel. It will also accept mil-spec AR-!5/M-16 magazines in 5.56 as well. As for the factory forend, you can order one from Kel-Tec's web site and some aftermarket suppliers. There are also several companies that make their own foregrip for the PLR-16 that's different from the K-T model. Most seem pretty good from what I've heard and read but usually cost at LEAST twice as much as the factory designed grip.