Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Kel tec. Pf9 fte problems???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2013, 03:28 PM   #11
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobefree View Post
I don't agree... I know how to shoot a gun... the problem was quality ...you get what you pay for... if it was limp wristing I would think the XDs would give more problems its got a bit more punch then pf9... but it has never had any of the issues the kel Tec had
xd's are a different animal being a double stack they have a "blockier" profile and easier to control. I have shot more than a few mouse guns in .45 and didnt have the initial trouble i had with the pf-9.

I have shot many, MANY different brands and styles of pistol, the pf-9 is the one that gave me the most issue "getting a grip on it". Its surprisingly snappy little gun, its a handful!

That typed, EVERY type/brand/style of gun i have ever shot has always had some sort of misfire/feed at some point. GLock, XD, Ruger, Smith, 1911....380, 9mm, .45 etc.

I refuse to buy into the "you get what you pay for" excuse...in my life i never buy the cheapest of anything, but i never buy the most expensive either. I have found middle of the road equipment best.

I have seen Kimbers out shot by my beat up old springer....I have seen glocks fail....I have seen/had Taurus fail. My 1911 had issues, until learned the gun and dialed it in...same with my pf-9...same with my 686.

People NEVER want to blame themselves, its easier to blame a mechanical contraption...in my 30+ years of shooting i have learned that MOST (not all) the time its operator error and NOT the gun.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 03-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #12

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

XDs is a single stack. 45... I'm saying Kel Tec does make a lower quality firearm then some of the others and the problems that the pf9 have are the same for a lot of shooters... I'm just pointing out that you either get a good one or bad one... mine was bad... and the recoil on the pf 9 isn't anymore "snappier" the a polymer in 45 caliber...

Last edited by freetobefree; 03-16-2013 at 11:48 PM.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #13
fmj

Quote:
XDs is a single stack. 45... I'm saying Kel Tec does make a lower quality firearm then some of the others and the problems that the pf9 have are the same for a lot of shooters... I'm just pointing out that you either get a good one or bad one... mine was bad... and the recoil on the pf 9 isn't anymore "snappier" the a polymer in 45 caliber...
My friend, i heartily disagree. 1st the XD's are a double stack and second the pf-9 is more of a handful than any other rig i have handled. (.357, 44 mag, and 500 short barrels excluded....kinda)

Old 03-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #14

No disrespect bro.. but I carry this single stack XDs everyday....

forumrunner_20130317_091018.jpg

forumrunner_20130317_091032.jpg

Old 03-17-2013, 03:15 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3859 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Asking if a Kel Tec has problems is like asking if a Scotsman drinks. Well of course!

Old 03-18-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
fmj

Quote:
No disrespect bro.. but I carry this single stack XDs everyday....

Attachment 91126

Attachment 91128
Yeah, thats an XD - S...the S stands for single stack....Most of your XD's are double stack. I have yet to see an XD-S for sale around here mush less see one on the range.

My entire point, In my experience, Keltecs are a fine, as good as any other out there that cost more $$, firearm. I carry one every day and DO bet my life on it.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #17

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
Yeah, thats an XD - S...the S stands for single stack....Most of your XD's are double stack. I have yet to see an XD-S for sale around here mush less see one on the range.

My entire point, In my experience, Keltecs are a fine, as good as any other out there that cost more $$, firearm. I carry one every day and DO bet my life on it.
LOL he was saying XD-s every time, not XD's too funny

you are lucky to have a good experience from the start with KelTec. Quite a few of us (as displayed in this thread) have not been nearly as lucky and it has turned us off from them going forward. As far as the "you get what you pay for" i agree with you on that outlook. I have seen numerous Hi Points run like champs with no issues and while they look ugly and make me want to throw up, its $150~ well spent for the user because it worked. But for me and the other gentlemen in this thread KelTec blows and I wil never own one again. Not because I am a new shooter and I dont know how to operate certain firearms, but because we got one out of the bad batch and we are not dealing with that crap again. Glock and S&W will be what makes up most if not all of my handgun collection because I know I can count on them

ThinkFast...your life depends on it.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Old 03-18-2013, 02:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombihunter804 View Post

LOL he was saying XD-s every time, not XD's too funny

you are lucky to have a good experience from the start with KelTec. Quite a few of us (as displayed in this thread) have not been nearly as lucky and it has turned us off from them going forward. As far as the "you get what you pay for" i agree with you on that outlook. I have seen numerous Hi Points run like champs with no issues and while they look ugly and make me want to throw up, its $150~ well spent for the user because it worked. But for me and the other gentlemen in this thread KelTec blows and I wil never own one again. Not because I am a new shooter and I dont know how to operate certain firearms, but because we got one out of the bad batch and we are not dealing with that crap again. Glock and S&W will be what makes up most if not all of my handgun collection because I know I can count on them
Lol this is one of those times correct spelling makes a difference huh.... yes I meant XDs... not XD's... and thx I know the difference I have a double stack .40 XD... but my point as well with zombihunter

Last edited by freetobefree; 03-18-2013 at 02:37 PM.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
fmj

one last note on this subject.

I have seen the infallible Glocks FAIL.

I have shot the S&W Bodyguard it had one of the stiffest, grittiest triggers i have ever squeezed.

My PF-9 has one of the best factory triggers i have used. (in that style/at that price point only the Ruger LR9c has a better one...and that is $100 more)

Kel-Tec is 100% made and manufactured in America. I drooled over the XD's for a while, when i had a wad of $$ i was going to pull the trigger, but on final inspection saw the croatian stamp and passed.....my safe proudly contains ONLY 100% AMERICAN made firepower.

Whereas i know Keltec has had its issues when they first started operations....i believe they have ironed out their issues. Any company when first starting out is going to have some "growing pains". It seems the ones reporting the troubles are guys that bought the first generations of the keltecs...mine is only about 2 years old.

But i also know the feeling about being snakebit by a product/company. I had a Taurus PT-145 that every time i shot it the frame broke...after the third trip back to the factory (waiting 6 months to get it back each time) i sold the damn thing to guy that just "HAD" to have it....will NEVER buy another Taurus POS again.