Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Kel tec. Pf9 fte problems???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Kel tec. Pf9 fte problems???

I have a Kel tec pf9 and the only ammo it seems to like is the Winchester white box 115g target rounds. All others seem to get stuck and don't eject. Anyone else having similar problems?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-14-2013, 04:41 PM   #2

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

You can get help with that at KTOG forum... I had similar problems with mine... finally got to be such that I wouldn't trust it for edc so I sold it... good luck

Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobefree
You can get help with that at KTOG forum... I had similar problems with mine... finally got to be such that I wouldn't trust it for edc so I sold it... good luck
That's what I am afraid is going to happen! I appreciate it.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I was in this category also when I had my PF9. At first 85% of my rounds were keyholing at 15-25 yards. Turns out it was some sort of machine issue when the barrel was rifled (or lack there of) so I sent the slide and barrel back and got the old fluff n buff treatment. After that I started getting FTEs but whats weird is that mine HATED winchester white box and yours loved it haha. I had had enough (this was all in the first 3 weeks after i bought it) so I sold it and bought a M&P Shield and never looked back!!!! most people get lucky with the PF9 and get a reliable workhorse but then there are people like us who get the crap end of the stick and get the lemons!

ThinkFast...your life depends on it.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters

Old 03-14-2013, 06:24 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombihunter804 View Post
I was in this category also when I had my PF9. At first 85% of my rounds were keyholing at 15-25 yards. Turns out it was some sort of machine issue when the barrel was rifled (or lack there of) so I sent the slide and barrel back and got the old fluff n buff treatment. After that I started getting FTEs but whats weird is that mine HATED winchester white box and yours loved it haha. I had had enough (this was all in the first 3 weeks after i bought it) so I sold it and bought a M&P Shield and never looked back!!!! most people get lucky with the PF9 and get a reliable workhorse but then there are people like us who get the crap end of the stick and get the lemons!
Yup I did all the usual... fluff n buff blah blah.... so many different brands ammo... fed fmj was the only thing it would shoot flawlessly... but I didn't want to carry fmj for edc... I went with Springfield... XDs and never a problem... the XDs was considerably more money... but considerably less issues glad I changed...

Last edited by freetobefree; 03-14-2013 at 06:26 PM.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one with issues. I am a small guy and have a hard time concealing most guns. This one barely works. I just don't trust it to work properly in an emergency.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #7

Had the same prob... that's why I chose xds... very close to same size

Old 03-15-2013, 01:22 PM   #8
fmj

Liked 749 Times on 433 Posts
Likes Given: 306

most of the time the problems with PF-9's are operator error. Most dont want to hear that...but its the fact.

Its a tiny little gun that packs a wallup to the hand/wrist. When i first got mine i occasionally had FTE's (stove pipes) wife had em much more frequently. What it comes down to is "limp wristing" the gun.

Get a grip on it, fire it often and allow the gun to break you in. As Cane talks about the 1911 500 breakin...the pf-9 requires the same...only its not just "breaking in" it own mechanical parts...its breaking in the shooter as well.

I am well over the 500 rd count in my pf-9 and i dont hesitate to EDC mine. (i much prefer the 1911..but its way to big for many of my carry situations where total and complete concealment are necessary)

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 03-15-2013, 01:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post
most of the time the problems with PF-9's are operator error. Most dont want to hear that...but its the fact.

Its a tiny little gun that packs a wallup to the hand/wrist. When i first got mine i occasionally had FTE's (stove pipes) wife had em much more frequently. What it comes down to is "limp wristing" the gun.

Get a grip on it, fire it often and allow the gun to break you in. As Cane talks about the 1911 500 breakin...the pf-9 requires the same...only its not just "breaking in" it own mechanical parts...its breaking in the shooter as well.

I am well over the 500 rd count in my pf-9 and i dont hesitate to EDC mine. (i much prefer the 1911..but its way to big for many of my carry situations where total and complete concealment are necessary)
I don't agree... I know how to shoot a gun... the problem was quality ...you get what you pay for... if it was limp wristing I would think the XDs would give more problems its got a bit more punch then pf9... but it has never had any of the issues the kel Tec had
Old 03-15-2013, 02:26 PM   #10

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmj View Post

This may be true in the case of a novice shooter or someone who isnt expecting the snappy recoil from the PF9 but these FTE issues that have come up a couple of time already in this thread are definitely due to poor production. Mine had no FTEs with 50 rounds of Horandy CD or 75 or so of Federal Premium but then would hang up every other shot on WWB and speer gold dot. I know most guys say "eff that, i dont limp wrist!!" (in a macho man voice) when they are accused of such but I have done my fair share of limp wristing early on and know the symptoms and the issues with MY PF9 were not due to that. Its a wide spread issue with Kel Tec. Either you get one that works or you get one that doesnt. I am of the latter!

ThinkFast...your life depends on it.

www.thinkfastholsters.com
www.facebook.com/thinkfastholsters
Instagram @thinkfastholsters