Kel-Tec PF-9: Thoughts and Opinions?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Kel-Tec PF-9: Thoughts and Opinions?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Default Kel-Tec PF-9: Thoughts and Opinions?

Hello Everyone,

I'v recently considered purchasing the Bersa Thunder in the 9mm, but after looking at it, reading some reviews, and getting some information from friends who have owned them (in the .380), Iv decided to instead to look more at the Kel-Tec PF-9.

So to put it simply, I want to know what everyones thoughts are on this pistol, which will be utilized for concealed carry. Additionally I'd like to get some opinions about a standard pressure defensive round. I am currently leaning towards the Fiocchi 9XTPC.

Any information or fact based opinions are greatly appreciated (we like the regular type too)!

~~~BigByrd

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-24-2010, 12:31 PM   #2

I have the P-11 and use it as a carry gun. its a very good carry gun but not a fun gun at the range. it has a very long and heavy trigger pull so it starts to hurt after a while. so its not a range gun to shoot and have fun. Thats my two cents.

John 11:22 / NRA MEMBER
U.S. Army 78-82
Active Maryland Defense Force (MDDF) (Maryland Guard) 2010-Present E-5 SGT
C&R License Holder and MD Firearms Collectors Letter

Old 10-24-2010, 02:08 PM   #3

I agree, i own a p-11 and though its excellent for ccw, thats probably it

Old 10-24-2010, 07:34 PM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I heart my PF9. I haven't put thousands of rounds through it, more like 300 in the year or so I've owned it. To be frank, it wasn't built to put thousands of rounds through. It has never malfunctioned for me, but the Lovely Mrs Freefall has a distressing tendency to bump the mag release and drop the mag when shooting. She hates it.
Anyway, I find this thing to be reliable, accurate, fits in my hip pocket and it retails for less than $300. I've been told it has a better trigger pull than the P11.It's my everyday gun. And I do have carry options such as various size 1911s, SP101, Bulldog 44sp, etc. The PF9 is just too easy to stick in my pocket and go.

Old 10-25-2010, 01:08 AM   #5

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I heart my PF9. I haven't put thousands of rounds through it, more like 300 in the year or so I've owned it. To be frank, it wasn't built to put thousands of rounds through. It has never malfunctioned for me, but the Lovely Mrs Freefall has a distressing tendency to bump the mag release and drop the mag when shooting. She hates it.
Anyway, I find this thing to be reliable, accurate, fits in my hip pocket and it retails for less than $300. I've been told it has a better trigger pull than the P11.It's my everyday gun. And I do have carry options such as various size 1911s, SP101, Bulldog 44sp, etc. The PF9 is just too easy to stick in my pocket and go.
Whats your carry round?

Im trying to find a round that will match (at the least) the FBI's required 12 inches of penetration while still expanding effectivly. I want to go with a standard pressure round simply because thats what I'll be practising with when I'm at the range. I was thinking the 124-gr range?

What do you think sir?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 10-25-2010, 01:23 AM   #6

After looking pretty close at them I like the bersa better than the Kel-tec. Kel-tec is DAO where the bersa has a Double or single action on the first round and single after it also has a safety.

"This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it."

-- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861

Old 10-25-2010, 02:17 AM   #7

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

At present I'm carrying Speer 124 gr Gold Dots I believe. To tell the truth I don't worry all that much as long as I'm buying a good brand HP. Hydra-shocks are my favourite but if I can't find them when I'm looking I'm happy with Speers.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:39 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post
Whats your carry round?
Any brand name Hollow Point that functions 100% in my firearm. There are no magic bullets and a specific round that functions in one persons firearm may not function at all in your identical firearm.

I have a P-11 and would expect the PF-9 to be similar in quality and accuracy.

Last edited by 1911Jeeper; 10-25-2010 at 02:42 AM.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Have you looked at the Kahr CW9's? I bought one 2 years ago and love the thing. It is a fun range gun and awesome CCW gun. I even carry mine when I have a LEO class but don't want to haul the P229 around. great little 9mm, accurate as heck. Mine out shoots my Sig 229. just the mags are limited to 7 rounds single stack. but i am betting the kel-tec is almost the same.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:21 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yep. 7rds single stack.