keeping your gun brand new
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > keeping your gun brand new

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default keeping your gun brand new

i have 2 guns ,a glock 26 and a hi power double action gun.the first is made of polymer and the other is staibnless steel. i would like to know how to keep my guns in a good shape while using ,so that they last long enough,ive seen guns with ppl that looks almost new and they have used them for a long time,and others who have demolished their,s. where do i put on a shelf or some kind of leather,i also heard that they should be washed with gasoline. any one who has an idea about that

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2009, 01:47 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Just give them a good cleaning after shooting and keep them in a dry place.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 PM   #3

Liked 764 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 462

A frequent cleaning and oiling is all that's needed to keep them looking new. Storing in a moisture free area will prevent rusting or pitting. Gasoline would not be my first choice as a cleaning solvent, it will remove oily deposits but may also damage the polymers and finish. Try Hoppes 9, Break Free or Rem Oil; all should be available at your local gun shop.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #4

any natural or more available component i can use to clean and oil my gun ,if those materials are not close by

Old 11-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #5

Liked 1421 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Keep them clean and get a silicon wipe down cloth (get two);

s7_290680_imageset_01.jpg

Hoppe's Silicone Gun Cloth

for transport get a gun rug;

s7_229743_imageset_04.jpg

Snug Rug Pistol Cases

for a longer storage periods get a Bore-Store;

gunrack8x180.jpg

Bore-Store at MidwayUSA

You paid a ton of cash for your firearm, invest in it's well being!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Cane's advice is right on target. Keep your firearms cleaned, oiled and stored in a dry place. Never heard of anyone using gasoline to clean firearms, might be a joke, it might be real but not something I would suggest.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:38 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Good advice above. DO NOT use gasoline on a firearm! Whoever told you that has no idea what they are talking about. Use cleaning fluids specifically made for guns, and oils and other lubricants made for guns. There are many quality brands on the market.

If you want to keep your gun looking new, put it in the box and lock the box in a safe. Never take it out and shoot it.

Otherwise, when you carry a firearm, they will eventually show signs of wear and that's not necessarily a bad thing. Carry them in quality holsters and be careful to not drop or bang them around. Like any tool, a firearm will last a lilfetime as long as it is handled with care.

Here's a picture of my first police gun, purchased in 1970 and carried on duty in all kinds of weather. (S&W model 19 no dash.)
Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 11-07-2009, 02:56 AM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

It is no problem to keep a quality firearm for multiple lifetimes if it is properly cared for and not abused. Periodic cleaning and lubricating is about all that is required. The pictures below are a perfect example. The gun is 118 years old. It was manufactured in 1891. And for nearly the first century of its existence it got no special treatment whatsoever. When I was a kid growing up on the farm, it just stood in the corner with the rest of the guns. It was a working gun. The finish may be well worn but mechanically it is as solid as the day it left the factory. Oh, by the way, it is a Model 1873 Winchester, "The gun that won the west."

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.