Kahr PM9 Question
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Kahr PM9 Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2013, 12:45 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Kahr PM9 Question

Hi everyone,; Rescently bought a brand new Kahr PM9 for C.C. After doing descent research about quality sub-compact 9mm semi autos. Intructions manual spoke abut 200 round break in period. Since the first shots, I've had light striking issues. On the first range session, tested it out of the box without cleaning it. Used 115grGecko, had about 10 failures to fire of 100 rounds. Second session, used 124gr fiocci fmj. Had about 5 failures to fire in 100 rounds. On same session bought another box of same geckoamo from first session, had ONE failure in 50 rounds. Of course cleaned it and lubricated it well after first day. Also tested it with about 60 rounds of several HPs, including hornady critical defense, critical duty, corbon dpx, federal HSTs, remington golden sabers and winchester white box. Only one failure and it Washington with the white box amo. Went again today and fired 100 rounds of the gecko stuff (only 9mm available at the range). Had one failure to fire. Upon comparisson of fired and unfired bullets, primer strike is obviously shallower in the unfired rounds. The question is: Could this be a normal break in issue or should i send it to the warranty? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2013, 12:50 AM   #2

Liked 1322 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 575

If purchased from a local gunshop would discuss with them. Or I would call Kahr customer service.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #3

Liked 331 Times on 263 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Guess you know by now you should have cleaned and lubed be for shooting that first round???? There does tend to be a lot of junk in side any new firearm including the firing pin and channel area. Now after getting it cleaned and lubed and finding that it runs fine with a better class of defense ammo but still has issues with geco ammo and now with one of the lowest quality American ammo brands, WWB junk. Could your problems relate to the ammo brand ?? Say YES here. ha Some euro ammo is know to run harder primers, geco is one of them along with a fioochi , rws, tula and several others. Your kahr may shoot it down the road after you are sure it works fine with something like rem/umc, magtec underwwod, ppu and some others.

Your pistol looks to work just fine with better quality defense grade ammo . Clean and lube before shooting all ways. And if a problem shows with certain brands of ammo assume first it ammo related . I do tend to use only 2 factory ammo brands for break in. I all ways keep some Remington 100 round green and white box or umc and magtech for break in. It is dirty ammo but does tend to go bang ever time . After you know the pistol runs well with certain brands then you can find and try whats avalible or cheaper . Just know if you have issues its probably ammo related.

I use to use only georgia arms fmj 124gr for breakin buy the ammo shortage has return me to remington and magtec over the last couple years. Your kahr is +P rated too.

I have 3 of the kahrs as CC pistols. Go read around on kahr talk .

Last edited by hardluk1; 06-21-2013 at 11:30 AM.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:12 PM   #4

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

yes clean it and relube , I believe your results will change . I have a Kahr P45 , zero issues and it has alot of rounds thru it . If it continues , Kahr will take care of it pretty quickly < I havent had to use it but I hear they have great customer service

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 06-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Hmmm....

It's been cleaned, lubed, and still not 100%

I would call Kahr and see what they can do for you.

My PM9 went through 200 with no malfunctions at all, and has not had a hiccup since. If yours can't do that, I wouldn't trust it. A CC weapon needs to be 100%.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 06-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #6

Guys it works fine with quality defense ammo . Its the junk geco and wwb that's giving problems. Change practice ammo brands.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Guys it works fine with quality defense ammo . Its the junk geco and wwb that's giving problems. Change practice ammo brands.
Not confident in that answer. Mine runs WWB just fine along with everything else I've put through it.

If the OP is having as many problems as he describes, then I recommend contacting Kahr.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
purehavoc Likes This 
Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #8

Liked 1153 Times on 749 Posts
Likes Given: 2043

I run everything thru mine , WWB, Remington UMCs , Tula, Hornaday and it run fine with everything I cram thru it

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 06-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #9

ScottA Guess you never heard of some brands of ammo not cycling in a some guns. OR certain lot numbers of ammo simply not running in some handguns. Just cheap ammo, bad crimp on the brass, bullet setting to long in the brass and keeps it from chambering.

If you think wwb is all that as a practice ammo do some searchs and see how many people have had issues with it.

I am just try'n to make a point that IF you have problems with a brand of ammo , specialy cheap ammo pick another brand to try. Seems to run well on quality HP ammo and that's typicaly were you can have feeding issues not the fmj cheaper brands are the problem. It does happen.

It is easy for a lesser experienced shooter to have a hard time working thru a problem to deside if its shooter , ammo or gun related.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
ScottA Guess you never heard of some brands of ammo not cycling in a some guns. OR certain lot numbers of ammo simply not running in some handguns. Just cheap ammo, bad crimp on the brass, bullet setting to long in the brass and keeps it from chambering.

If you think wwb is all that as a practice ammo do some searchs and see how many people have had issues with it.

I am just try'n to make a point that IF you have problems with a brand of ammo , specialy cheap ammo pick another brand to try. Seems to run well on quality HP ammo and that's typicaly were you can have feeding issues not the fmj cheaper brands are the problem. It does happen.

It is easy for a lesser experienced shooter to have a hard time working thru a problem to deside if its shooter , ammo or gun related.
Oh I've heard of it. But his visual inspection showed light primer strikes on the unfired cartridges. That would suggest something in the gun to me, not the ammunition.

Quote:
Quote:
Join the NRA