Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Kahr pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2007, 12:17 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
It's amazing that people never listen to me when I attempt to tell them about products that perform above the rest of the pack it ain't even funny. Para ordnance Lda series is the best of both worlds. They come in tiny 6 shot 3" barreled versions,all the way up to full size in both steel frame and alloy framed models. Extremely reliable 1911 style but with the smoothest, lightest,SAFE,hammer fired DAO trigger action on the market-5.5-6#.
Anyone considering a ccw owes it to themselves to at least check them out.
Looking good for anyone having the $1100 buring a hole in their pocket. That would be a consideration for some folks I am sure.

Old 12-24-2007, 07:43 PM   #12

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default para

In the first place,you CAN'T put a price on your life. Secondly,paras run from 675 to 850 for most models new. We ALL blow more money than that every year,and protection like that's worth every penny. I can tell you've never fired 1 but you owe it to yourself to-even if only to TRY to prove me wrong!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryk View Post
Looking good for anyone having the $1100 buring a hole in their pocket. That would be a consideration for some folks I am sure.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:02 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default kahr vs para

When you compare the prices,there's not much difference between the two.

Old 12-25-2007, 12:06 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
In the first place,you CAN'T put a price on your life. Secondly,paras run from 675 to 850 for most models new. We ALL blow more money than that every year,and protection like that's worth every penny. I can tell you've never fired 1 but you owe it to yourself to-even if only to TRY to prove me wrong!!
Whoa! Slow down a bit! You'll strain something. lol Not trying to prove you wrong on anything.

The Para I looked at was $1099. ($1100 rounded off) A lot of money for a lot of people. I can well afford it but I know many people that can't. Some gun is probably better than no gun. People buy what they can afford at the time of purchase and can upgrade later when they can. Nothing wrong with that.

Putting "a price on your life" is something a gun salesman uses to get you to spend more money than you can afford. Doesn't work with me. My two carry weapons have never hiccupped in all the range firing I have done with them. Never had to use them off range and hope to never have to in the future.

Old 12-28-2007, 02:31 PM   #15

Default Para LDA & Kahr n 45 acp

You are preaching to the choir on that issue. I've got both. The edge for everyday carry goes to the Kahr KP45. My original 3" Para LDA wouldn't run consistently and I traded it for the 3 & 1/2" Para LDA. I've put over 6,000 rounds through it and it is my all time favorite handgun. I've whacked javalina with it a couple of times. I eventually sent it to BarSto and had them install a barrel. The heavier barrel eats recoil assemblies after about 450 rounds. Next to your body in a IWB rig the perspiration eats on the finish of the Para pistol. The Karh isn't nearly so nice to look at but polymer is impervious to sweat and the gun shoots good and it is light weight and smaller than the Para. I've got 3 other Para single action hicap .45's that I like a lot. P-14-45 is all steel, P-13-45 is all steel, and an alloy made from a frame kit in commander size.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:25 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Para vs STI & KIMBER

I have owned three Paras, a P14 LDA, a P14 SS and a P-10 (like the Warthog)
One day while I had a Para apart I measured the distance between the slide rails, front& back- Funny but I got two different numbers! That isn't how an expensive gun should be made! After I got rid of my Para's I ponied up the almost $2,000 and bought an STI Edge 2011- That is a real gun! 15 round magazines and I can really hit what I'm aiming for with it, after that I bought a Kimber Ultra Ten II, the Kimber cost $550, has a 3" barrel and holds ten rounds. Like BIPOD said, the finish doesn't get rusty on the Kimber either like it did every time I put the Para P-10 in my pocket!
I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who like their Para's, I have certainly heard plenty of bad stuff about Kimber, just never have experienced any. I don't believe I have ever heard anything bad about STI (except the price!)
I sell guns and I have heard plenty of good things about the Rock Island Armory 1911's, and from guys who will buy three and four of them. From my experience with 1911's it really wasn't the amount of money spent that made it a great gun, it was getting a well-made one, and I think that will take luck or experience!

Old 12-31-2007, 03:26 PM   #17

I have a Kahr K9. I don't carry it very often, but when I do I carry it in my pocket with a pocket holster because it is very small. If I carry any pistol in my pocket without a manual safety I don't keep a round in the pipe (just a little too close to the family jewels and not that hard to rack after I draw it).

After about three years with it I will say it is a very nice weapon that has never given me any problems. Absolutely no accidental discharges. The only way I can get it to jam is with Wolf ammunition (but that jams all my 9mm's). It is accurate for it's size, and a pleasure to shoot.

What I don't like about it is dissassembly. It requires a hammer and a punch that I rigged up with tape on the end to get the lock out for dissassembly as well as a wooden spacer that I made to hold the slide open the correct amount to get the lock out. Even the factory instructions said to use a hammer. Generally I am not a fan of using a hammer on my guns.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:25 PM   #18

I like my PM9 pretty well. Has been very dependable. Small, light and a good defense cal.

Down side I think they cost too much, and they kick like hell. I might trade it off on a Walther PPS. Or not.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #19

Default Kahr Firearms

The Kahr pistol is a great Carry firearm. I own several of them that are 9MMs and they are easy to conceal and easy to use. I like that they are double action only with no safety to disengage when you may be in a tight situation. Check out their web site and I am sure that you will find one that suits your purpose.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm with the Bear on this one. If your "perfect carry" (And it's a different firearm for everyone) happens to be upwards of $1000, know that it's money well spent. Reliability is only one aspect of what you look for in a carry gun. A big one, but there are still other considerations, and if I'm trusting my life to a gun, it's gonna be the one I can use best.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm