Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Just got my permit!! Now, what to get??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 01:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Just got my permit!! Now, what to get??

I just got my pistol permit here in NY!

I've fired quite a few different types with a friend of mine and I really like .40 as a cal. I don't like revolvers so much...

What do you guys recommend? My budget is ~$500.

thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-31-2009, 02:03 AM   #2

you could check out the Springfield XD-40. $500 would go quite a ways towards one of those.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:21 AM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertiviper View Post
I just got my pistol permit here in NY!

I've fired quite a few different types with a friend of mine and I really like .40 as a cal. I don't like revolvers so much...

What do you guys recommend? My budget is ~$500.

thanks

First off - congratulations! Is it "full carry" or did the assclowns stamp it with "For Hunting, Fishing, and Target Shooting"?
Second - asking what you should get will get you the same number of responses as asking "who wants a million dollars?" What are you comfortable shooting? Will you carry it on a daily basis? Will it imprint with summer clothing? It's all personal preferrence...my first gun just had to be a .357 Magnum because that was a bad-ass round in the late 80's. If I had used my head instead of my ego I would have bought a .22 so I could shoot tons of cheap ammo and learn the basics. Eventually I did learn, but boy was it expensive! Actually, it was the ammo cost that got me into reloading - if you shoot as much as you should to become proficient, you will go broke! Ammo cost is a consideration. You already said you don't like revolvers, so you won't have to worry about spending $30 /box for .44 Mags....9mm is still the cheapest for an automatic that has good stopping power. I can get WWB 165gr. .40 FMJ's at Wally World for about $28/100.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
First off - congratulations! Is it "full carry" or did the assclowns stamp it with "For Hunting, Fishing, and Target Shooting"?
Second - asking what you should get will get you the same number of responses as asking "who wants a million dollars?" What are you comfortable shooting? Will you carry it on a daily basis? Will it imprint with summer clothing? It's all personal preferrence...my first gun just had to be a .357 Magnum because that was a bad-ass round in the late 80's. If I had used my head instead of my ego I would have bought a .22 so I could shoot tons of cheap ammo and learn the basics. Eventually I did learn, but boy was it expensive! Actually, it was the ammo cost that got me into reloading - if you shoot as much as you should to become proficient, you will go broke! Ammo cost is a consideration. You already said you don't like revolvers, so you won't have to worry about spending $30 /box for .44 Mags....9mm is still the cheapest for an automatic that has good stopping power. I can get WWB 165gr. .40 FMJ's at Wally World for about $28/100.

Thanks man!

The only permit I could apply for is "f1" which is carry to and from the range without stopping in between. To get full carry I need "repeated evidence my life is in immediate danger" as proper cause. ....yea in other words I need someone to hold a gun to my head before I can defend myself...anyways.

I have fired a few here and there and I would ultimately like to get two:
1) 1 for plinking, basic training and range target shooting; something I can spend the day using and not drain my wallet. I've been leaning towards the Walther P22; it shoots .22lr, it's something I can use all day..LEARN on and not worry about spending a lot on ammo.

2) The other one is something a little beefier. I see the second one as something I would take to the range and only fire maybe 30-50 rounds, treat it like a fine champaigne...only a few sips as it is expensive, lol. I was leaning towards a .40.

Double action/single action...i dont know the pro's and con's to really make a clear judgement..which is why i'm on this fine board.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:06 AM   #5

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Remember, the guns is only one part of the cost of ownership, you have to buy a case/safe (as you can't carry, just will be to home defense and range shooting), cleaning kit, ear and eye protection and a lot of ammo... I would recomend that spend a little bit less of your budget in the firearm...
9mm is the cheapest ammo to practice but with decent (to me) stoping power for self defense, 9mm it's not only cheaper, it's also easier to find (more popular) than .40S&W.
I think that a Taurus 24/7 or a Ruger P95 (or maybe the new SR9) would be the smarter choice in your case.
Here is some links of Bud's Gun Shop to see...
Taurus 24/7 9mm: $364 (S&H included)
Ruger SR9: $398 (S&H included)

Sorry but Bud's says that...
Shipping to New York State:
We ship all NY legal firearms to select counties in upper New York state, We do NOT ship to these counties. In fact, your billing address must not be in any of these counties:
Bronx, Dutchess, Kings, Nassau, New York, Orange, Putnam, Queens, Richmond, Rockland, Suffolk, Sullivan, Ulster, Westchester.

“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Last edited by AsmelEduardo; 03-31-2009 at 12:55 PM.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 50 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 12

CZ75B...
It's very affordable, very dependable, very accurate, and .40 CAL.

This one has had over 10,000 rounds and never a FTF, or FTE. You can trust your life on it!

Last edited by Mark F; 03-31-2009 at 11:22 AM.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:04 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Thanks man!

I've been leaning towards the Walther P22; it shoots .22lr, it's something I can use all day..LEARN on and not worry about spending a lot on ammo.

2) The other one is something a little beefier. I see the second one as something I would take to the range and only fire maybe 30-50 rounds, treat it like a fine champaigne...only a few sips as it is expensive, lol. I was leaning towards a .40.

Double action/single action...i dont know the pro's and con's to really make a clear judgement..which is why i'm on this fine board.
A good .22 is a good choice, particularly if you can only go to the range. A friend of mine has a Walther P22 and while it is a nice gun and he claims it is accurate, his broke when he mistakenly squeezed the trigger when it was disassembled and being cleaned. They are delicate guns internally, with many small delicate parts in the hammer/trigger group. A Ruger MKIII or 22/45 would be a good choice and is more accurate and cheaper than the Walther. I have a stainless bull barreled 22/45 which is a great gun for target shooting or small game hunting. As far as single/double action, I am not aware of any guns other than the 1911 that are single action auto's. Most auto's today are DA or DA only. I have a Beretta Cougar in .40 which is a nice accurate gun - I paid $550 back in 1999, but since Stoeger bought the Patent rights, the same gun today lists for $379.
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 03-31-2009, 02:09 PM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
1 for plinking, basic training and range target shooting; something I can spend the day using and not drain my wallet. I've been leaning towards the Walther P22; it shoots .22lr, it's something I can use all day..LEARN on and not worry about spending a lot on ammo.
...The other one is something a little beefier. I see the second one as something I would take to the range and only fire maybe 30-50 rounds, treat it like a fine champaigne...only a few sips as it is expensive, lol. I was leaning towards a .40.
For a .22lr you should try the Sig Mosquito, S&W 22A, the Browning Buckmark... For the .40S&W the Taurus PT100 or 24/7, the Stöeger Cougar...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
As far as single/double action, I am not aware of any guns other than the 1911 that are single action auto's. Most auto's today are DA or DA only. I have a Beretta Cougar in .40 which is a nice accurate gun - I paid $550 back in 1999, but since Stoeger bought the Patent rights, the same gun today lists for $379.
Other SA semiauto is the Browning HP, and Stöeger don't buy the patent, Beretta bought Stöeger, so Stöeger make Beretta & Benelli "clones" under supervision of Beretta... the Stöeger Cougar is exactly the same Beretta Cougar with same QA as Beretta (maybe needs improve some finish), is like buy a Turkish Beretta...
“You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that, my dear friend, is the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it.
Dr. Adrian Rogers”

TELL CHAVEZ NOW! CLICK HERE

Old 03-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #9

That Sig Mosquito looks nice, I don't know how well it's built or how durable it is?

The more I read about the P22 the more I realize people either hate it or love it. The issue with loading apparantly had to do with a magazine design flaw which has been fixed in newer models, they say to look for an "A" at the end of the serial code on the newer magazines.

In terms of ammo cost for a larger round, again i'm all ears to suggestions, what would be the best bang for the buck in terms of defense/accuracy/price?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:58 PM   #10

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
That Sig Mosquito looks nice, I don't know how well it's built or how durable it is?

The more I read about the P22 the more I realize people either hate it or love it. The issue with loading apparantly had to do with a magazine design flaw which has been fixed in newer models, they say to look for an "A" at the end of the serial code on the newer magazines.

In terms of ammo cost for a larger round, again i'm all ears to suggestions, what would be the best bang for the buck in terms of defense/accuracy/price?
Maybe you should look up the Bersa pistols ,they go around 300 $ I think, they come in .380,9 mm,.40 and .45,and are pretty decent guns..