JDs Recession Buster Pistol Test:
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > JDs Recession Buster Pistol Test:

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 04:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default JDs Recession Buster Pistol Test:

So, if you have spent much time here, you will have no doubt been subjected to the blasphemy perpetrated by Benning Boy, Canebrake and dnthmn2004 in regards to my personal pistol & knife choices.

They would have you believe that I only buy top of the line pistols and knives and that my safe is filled with a Who’s Who of the firearms marketing world. Well, okay they are kind of right on that….

But, we are getting a lot of new members here and I have seen a lot of requests for the best bargain pistol that one could use for personal defense. Let’s face it, there is a big recession on and people are scared/nervous about the rising crime rates. People are looking at getting a good, reliable pistol, that will hit the target it’s aimed at, and they don’t want to mocked or chided for buying a POS that they didn’t know about.

So, here is what I am proposing. I am going to collect the names of 2 or 3 pistols that are bargain basement, easy on the pocket book pistols from your suggestions. Once I narrow it down, and I can actually find one of them ( see below ) I am going to do a gunsmith evaluation on it from the inside out. I am going to offer a non-biased approach to the review and then I will take it to the range and see if I can hit anything with it, and whether or not it goes bang when it’s supposed too.

After that, I will probably auction it off since I can’t have it in my Hugo Boss safe next to my Nighthawk family.

So far on my list I have, at the request of bkt, the Hi Point C9 ( or the C45 ) pistol. I have called 5 places in my area that are registered Hi Point dealers and none of them have these pistols in stock. At less than $200 per pistol, I can see why. But that doesn’t mean I am stopping there. I am calling around to pawn shops and other stores to see if they have one, even a used one, that I can test and evaluate.

But, I believe in being thorough, so I am taking suggestions for a bargain basement, economical handgun that you guys might like to see a write up done on.

Now, the results are going to linked to, but posted in The Bunker – after all, the site should get something out of this deal and an increase in membership only makes us stronger, but this will be an honest, real world evaluation of a pistol you are thinking of spending $200 on. Wouldn’t you rather spend $12 and find out about it ahead time?

So, what do you guys think? Who makes the short list of bargain pistols that you would recommend to a family member who just moved to the worst shi’ite hole imaginable??

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2009, 05:16 PM   #2

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

This is a great idea. It would save this website about a dozen new threads per week. After you complete your testing and pawn it off, you could continue with handguns in a slightly larger price range, and so on. Just an idea.

Can you be a little bit more specific on the rules?

Whats the actual maximum spending limit, I know you suggested $200, is this the magic number?

Are we limited to semi's or are revolvers in the hat also?

Do my states laws and regulations apply? Because there aren't many $200 guns that pass the rigorous MA firearm testing regiment.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:20 PM   #3

I picked up a taurus model 605 2 years ago for 300 bucks new.

2" .357 magnum and I still carry it. I will even submit mine for the testing part of this...as long as I get it back!

Old 04-20-2009, 05:56 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

JD, Hows about a Polish Makarov 64-9 X 18? Can be picked-up for around $140.00

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Add the S&W Sigma to the list.

Old 04-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Ill throw in the Bersa Thunder .380, Great Economy pistol...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 04-20-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

An excellent idea. Kudos.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #8

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Hhhmmmmm, This appears to have gone a little sideways on me for not being more precise, Shame on me.

Scrapper - If you already own the gun, then you should post about it. You should do a whole write up on it and be non-bias on the pros and cons of the weapon. Since it's already in your possession, that would be easier. However, if you prefer, we can arrange it offline.

What I was thinking is this: We are getting a ton of new members, and everyone seems to be on a budget. I was thinking under $400 honestly - but I didn't want to get like 80 choices of weapons that were under $400.

Don't let the Hugo Boss underwear & the fancy shades fool you, I work for a living just like the rest of you.

Also, I don't have a gazillion dollars ( yet ) burning a whole in my pocket, but I wanted to give a little real world advice to some people who are honestly and genuinely concerned about self protection in this day and age.

So, let's set some ground rules:

1) THIS HAS TO BE A WEAPON YOU WOULD RECOMMEND TO A FAMILY MEMBER! No offense, but I am not doing this to test drive a new pistol you want to buy for yourself. This has to have a purpose, not just spend JD's money.

2) It has to be a minimum of 9mm. I don't think, personally, anything else is suited for defense, I am doing this for a defensive mind set person, not a plinker and it needs to be able to do the job.

3) I would like to keep it in common calibers. Ones that can be purchased at Wallyworld, or Sportco or a standard sporting goods store. Anything that needs to be reloaded for, or needs special ammo like my .460 Rowland is disqualifed automatically.

4) I think $400 should be the cap. Most people can scrape together $200-$300 without too much sacrifice on the home front. Let's keep the single income family in mind here with mom, or dad, bringing home one paycheck to feed 3 or 4 mouths. They deserve to be safe too, right guys?

5) I think any good gun for the price should be considered. I personally like automatics, but a good, hammerless revolver is going to go bang every damn time and that should be taken into account...

So, we got Hi-Point on the list as a nod to bkt and we got the S&W Sigma on the list.

What else??

Old 04-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I forgot about the "would recommend it to a family member" part, but would still go with a S&W Sigma.

If I was going to recommend a revolver, it would be a no bells and whistles S&W 642. Although the MSRP is 600, they can be found, maybe slightly used, for less than 400.

So after just about everyone has given their choice, your gonna put them all in a poll?

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 04-20-2009 at 08:36 PM.

Old 04-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'm a huge proponent of the, "poor men cannot afford to buy cheap tools," train of thought.

I'm on board though, as I have a High Point .380 in my possession. Lemme know how and where you want the info JD.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.