Jacketed VS non jacketed
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Jacketed VS non jacketed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Jacketed VS non jacketed

I am having trouble finding jacketed .44 special ammo for "plinking" and target practice. Most of what I find (reasonably priced) is lead with no jackets. The jacketed hollow points are too expensive for me to use for target practice.
So, my question is: how hard is lead on the barrell of my Ruger Super Red Hawk? I have heard that it is best to use jacketed bullets to keep the barrell "cleaner" and easier to clean. All the .44 mag bullets I use are jacketed but I prefer to shoot .44 special on the range. Should I be concerned about shooting .44 special all lead bullets regularly?
Thanks.

Life is Short make a difference today!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Not sure if they sell complete rounds or not, but if you reload, check out Berry's Mfg. They sell bulk boxes of 500 coppper jacketed rounds for the major pistol calibers for about 40.00 bucks where I am at.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #3

Relaoding is a problem. I do not do this at this time so i am limited to what I can buy from the factory.

Life is Short make a difference today!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Don`t worry about shooting lead bullets. Your Red Hawk may have a rough bore and lead some, but it no big deal. Buy 1 box of lead bullets and fire 1 cylinder through the gun then look through the bore. If there is alot of lead stop, but if there is very little shoot another cylinder and look again. To clean the lead out simply fire a cylinder full of jacketed bulletd. The more rounds you put down the tube the smoother it will get. With my old Ruger balck Hawk I had no trouble putting 200 rounds down the tube before I would clean it with a cylinder of jacketed bullets. Shooting the lead out is far easier and more fun than useing a brush. If the barrel leads excesively you could fire lap it, but that probly won`t be nessary.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 12-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2864 Times on 1492 Posts
Likes Given: 254

Shooting jacketed ammo will not "clean out" the lead fouling. It will drive it deeper into the recesses.

If the barrel is broken in with a few boxes of jacketed ammo, leading should not be a huge issue. Cleaning is easy with a "Lead Free Cloth". Yellow chemically treated cloths that remove all sorts of nasy fouling from stainless steel guns. Cut a patch and run it down the barrel with a tight fitting jag and you will see strips of lead stuck to the cloth. Turn the patch inside out and do it again. Run a brush through the bore and clean like normal. Not a problem.

DO NOT USE THESE CLOTHS ON BLUED FIREARMS! They will strip bluing off as easily as lead.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-22-2010, 10:13 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

CCI Blazer 44 Special 200 gr JHP Ammunition 50/box - Natchez Shooters Supplies Blazer 44 Special 200 gr JHP Ammunition 50/box

Not exactly cheap, but I don't own a .44.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #7
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2126 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 632

I used to load 44mag 240 gr semi wadcutters to 800fps and did not have leading problems. Very accurate and easy to shoot. The 44spl loads should not be fast enough to cause stripping. Look into the low power cowboy loads used in the cowboy shooting competitions.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:48 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

when shooting lead and then jacketed or other way round clean the barrel and cylinders before swithing lead to jacketed or jacketed to lead. you dont have to but it makes it soooooo much easier if your not layering the fouling.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...