Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > introducing wife to shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1098 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 625

my wife was okay with me shooting. shot once or twice but at that time she wasnt thrilled... she just started thinking about it more recently and we started the paperwork for a ccw. we bought a ,22 pistol and she liked it. but what she really liked was my ar 15.. she even asked the other day why the ar is so much more fun than even .22's.... honestly i didnt have a good answer. but now we are going to a gunshow soon with plans of a new rifle coming home. hehe..

i would say just help her to go at her pace. try to explain the differences in caliber, recoil firearm choices.
and if possible use fun targets. i always grab nickel n dime ceramic knick knacks at yards sales or thrift stores. they are great to shoot and watch them explode. adds to the fun. also, coal, and fruit make wonderful things to shoot at as long as you can use them where you go to shoot.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 PM   #12
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

1K,

I would suggest taking her to a gun show and let her look at an assortment of "22s" Like a Ruger Target model or that type. I you want to build he confidence and love for the shooting sport she must be comfortable and most of all acquire satisfaction with proficiency and accuracy. It is kind of like if you want to get a young person interested in fishing you take them to a place where they can catch fish and the most action during the trip you can provide. The fish does not have to be big but only they catch a lot of fish! The same is true with your wife and shooting. You referred to her as being a little timid. The last thing you want to do is here feel uncomfortable with recoil, and also the fit of the weapon or develop bad habits like a flinch, or shoot without ear protection. All which would result in a lack of accuracy and her confidence and enjoyment. As stated I would be looking into a reasonably priced good 22 target pistol with at least a 4-6 inch barrel. Once you get her hooked it will produce long term enjoyment for her as well as you. And make it easier when you want a new GUN!!! LOL!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 04-02-2012, 03:31 PM   #13

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kcender View Post
Finally got the wife to the range today. Her fear of guns overcome by the years of being around them with her trust in me. So I let her shoot a old crappy sighted 22. And my glock 19 in 9mm. She liked the glock sights better and shot it the most. I let her choose. She is somewhat timid and the recoil was what bothered her most. I let her shoot bench rested and she had good groups at 15 yards. I want her to build confidence in herself and gradually build from there. She wants to take a cc class and told her I will take the class again with her. Would like to hear other ideas on what others have done to introduce there's wives into shooting. She did say she enjoyed the day together shooting so I really want to better the next range day for her. All ideas considered.
I believe you're right by starting her out with the .22 & then let her advance at her own pace.

My wife's problem is not a fear of guns, but a sensitivity to sudden loud noises, even when she knows they are about to happen. We are trying ways to double up on her ear protection.

She is just now starting to take an interest in overcoming it. This has been 4 years in the works! At one time, she wouldn't even go to the range with me & has only started doing that in the last year. She has finally expressed an interest in getting her own .22 pistol. It will be a Bersa which is the same size, approximate weight & identical controls as her .380.

I'm thrilled at her taking an interest, but I know that if I start pressing too hard, she could back away from it. I that were to happen, I'm afraid she'll never do it.

Old 04-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 758 Times on 465 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Are you guys sure you want your wives to know how to handle a gun? In my experience frying pans hurt enough when you get hit by them. Lol
SWMBO constant reminds me "till death do us part, I have a gun and know how to use it... and I'm a better shot than you".

Old 04-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 221 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 27

My best suggestion for new/timid shooters is:

Pistol: 22lr pistol ---> Metal framed 9mm/38sp

Rifle: Rimfire rifle ---> 223 (it seems almost everyone enjoys success with an AR-15)

Always put an apprehensive shooter in a position to have fun and succeed.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:52 AM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
My best suggestion for new/timid shooters is:

Pistol: 22lr pistol ---> Metal framed 9mm/38sp

Rifle: Rimfire rifle ---> 223 (it seems almost everyone enjoys success with an AR-15)

Always put an apprehensive shooter in a position to have fun and succeed.
Ya I think everybody's beginner gun should be a Ruger 10/22 or something similar then move on and graduate to a handgun of a comfortable size and caliber...Maybe it's just me but I think every beginner should start out with a 22lr then maybe a 22 pistol or 9mm?..I know I did at least...Plus the Ruger 10/22 is sooo fun lol!

Old 04-03-2012, 04:31 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A lot of great sugestions. I seem to be right on track. I am going to look at a good .22 with good sights. Maybe a ruger with the high vis fiber optic sights. She did great with the 9mm glock 19 but I would really like to build her confidence more with a .22 . That and I need a god excuse for one. Lol . Thanks for all the great responses.

Old 04-03-2012, 05:40 PM   #18

Liked 162 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman13 View Post
Are you guys sure you want your wives to know how to handle a gun? In my experience frying pans hurt enough when you get hit by them. Lol
lucky for me I do most of the cooking out on the grill.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #19

My wife has been very pleased with her Walther P22... Aside from the occasional FTF or eject which can be alleviated with CCI rounds, it's the perfect gun for her. Just a suggestion.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:52 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I finally got a second magazine for my p22 and have since been wearing it Iwb as my warm weather carry...instead of a 5 shot snub..38sp.