introducing wife to shooting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > introducing wife to shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Finally got the wife to the range today. Her fear of guns overcome by the years of being around them with her trust in me. So I let her shoot a old crappy sighted 22. And my glock 19 in 9mm. She liked the glock sights better and shot it the most. I let her choose. She is somewhat timid and the recoil was what bothered her most. I let her shoot bench rested and she had good groups at 15 yards. I want her to build confidence in herself and gradually build from there. She wants to take a cc class and told her I will take the class again with her. Would like to hear other ideas on what others have done to introduce there's wives into shooting. She did say she enjoyed the day together shooting so I really want to better the next range day for her. All ideas considered.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-02-2012, 05:42 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7090 Times on 4267 Posts
Likes Given: 8591

Good for you and for her. I had a fear of guns, too, for most of my life. Simply because I didn't really know anything about them but what I heard on the news. It sounds like she's off to a good start.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:48 AM   #3

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Im taking my girlfriend out Friday to shoot. Hopefully she's as open as your wife was. She wasn't raised around guns and is...well almost a complete tree hugger/anti-gun left winger. Hopefully I can pull her away from all of that

Old 04-02-2012, 05:59 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

When I first introduced my wife to firearms, she was a bit hesitant but not afraid. Now it has become our monthly "date night".

Something you can try is have her decide on a few different style of guns to rent at the range until she finds something she is comfortable with.

My wife spends more time browsing the gun counter then she does shopping for shoes.

The upside is now she loves gun as much as I, I can always count on a few boxes of ammo when she comes home from Wal-Mart.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 04-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #5

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShagNasty1001
Im taking my girlfriend out Friday to shoot. Hopefully she's as open as your wife was. She wasn't raised around guns and is...well almost a complete tree hugger/anti-gun left winger. Hopefully I can pull her away from all of that
If she has never shot a gun before make sure you start her off on a .22 then let her decide if she wants to progress to a bigger caliber.

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #6

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I lucked out. On our second date she wanted to go visit friends in the country right outside of Houston. Her friends husband pulls out a new Ruger Blackhawk 44 Mag with a 10.5 inch barrel and we went out the back door. Out comes my date, all 5'-2" 105 pounds of her, and proceeds to nail 6 bulls in a row. Needless to say, I married that girl.

But to this day, 29 years later, I carry and she doesn't. She keeps her Colt Detectives Special on her side of the bed. Like your woman, she doesn't like recoil so I keep her away from my 1911's and 357 Mag. But I do leave my G32 (357SIG) with her when I leave town. She seems to like the snappier recoil of that than the push of a 1911. Go figure.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:10 PM   #7

Liked 163 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Bravo 1k, you will have to put some thought into the second range trip. It took me several months to get the wife into shooting, she insisted in getting a .357 right off the bat. Being how I wanted a SP101 I said sure, bought it and let her shoot 5 rounds of .357 mag. and she put it down and said how much she didn't like it, I loaded it up with .38 specials and she liked it much better. Then I rented a .22 target pistol and let her run thru a couple of boxes of ammo with it and then rented a 9mm for her to try. After almost a year she decided on a .380 to carry, we shopped for 6 more months for the right gun for her, with me saying yes or no to certain brands.

Once she found the right gun for her I bought it for her Valentines day gift, I know I'm just romantic like that , she loved it, she shoots it well and now 2 years later she wants a Colt Commander or my Kimber Ultra CDP. I also want a Colt Commander so we will have to see who ends up with it. We took the CCW class together, and try to always meet or go to the range together although she will make a girls day at the range once every couple of months.

Her mom still laughs at me for giving her a gun for Valentines day, I just remind her that I love her enough to want to make sure she is always safe.

Don't question my right to own a gun and I won't question your stupidity not to.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #8

Liked 77 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 8

My wife has agoraphobia. To the point she is on medication. Funny thing is, on the days we plan to go to the range? She gets that old fire in her eyes. She owns an old .22 bolt action rifle, a .270, a highpoint .380 she loves to shoot, and a .22 revolver, single action. It's her therapy session. She has looked at me after a couple hours and asked if I'm ready to go, and I refuse to leave until she's good and ready.
1K, enjoy it. Let momma pick her firearm to shoot, and have a blast with her. Make it your date day, including dinner/lunch, and realize that, in the end, she'll probably out shoot you. (Don't feel bad. Happens to a lot of us.)

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 04-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #9

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89

If she has never shot a gun before make sure you start her off on a .22 then let her decide if she wants to progress to a bigger caliber.
Yeah all I'm bringing are my 10/22 and my AR 223

Old 04-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

Are you guys sure you want your wives to know how to handle a gun? In my experience frying pans hurt enough when you get hit by them. Lol

I don't need No stinking signature.