interesting test today
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > interesting test today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2015, 08:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default interesting test today

i recently bought a beretta nano to carry, a friend of mine went with the lcr 357. i wanted a 357 myself but when i went to one i got such a great deal on the nano at $279 otd that i bought it. when my friend came over to shoot today he kept telling me how i messed up not getting a 357 cause its the best caliber to have on everything around my home place and woods. where i live in kentucky we have mostly coyotes or feral dogs in the woods, black bears are rare. so he decided to do a test to show me how much greater the 357 is, he took several 1/2 inch boards and screwed them together. we stood at 10 yds and fired one shot each at our boards with different ammo, we each had two boards. i was using 115 grain hp and 124 grain hp, in comparison he was using 110 grain hp and 125 hp. if i hadn't did this test myself i wouldn't believed it but the nano 9mm performed better than the lcr 357. the 9mm penetrated 1 more board than the 357 and was imbedded in number 2 board past the 357. also the hollowpoint expanded better in the 9mm. my guess is because the short barrel on the 357 but i was so surprised at this i had to post. if i can get a camera i will take pics of the boards and ammo. at least my friend quit talking down on my 9mm, but i know whats next he will bring over his gp100 to win one way or another. just thought i would let everyone know, i'm still amazed and can't believe it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3607 Times on 2481 Posts
Likes Given: 1764

The 357 penetrated less AND expanded less? I wonder if that particular bullet was keyholing out of the snub barrel. Did you by chance shoot any paper?

Old 03-18-2015, 10:09 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6556 Times on 3487 Posts
Likes Given: 489

dogs yotes bears arent made of wood...

2" barrel is likely lacking velocity could be the ammo is designed for a longer barrel.

only way to tell would be to use a chronograph. blocks of wood are very very poor test media

lots of different factors like reduced power loads and brand of ammo can all be issues

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 03-19-2015, 12:15 AM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

lots of different factors like reduced power loads and brand of ammo can all be issues[/QUOTE]

IMO this is one of the greatest things about a revolver, they can handle any amount of propellant that wouldn't exceed maximum chamber pressures for a given caliber. The load behind the bullets in the LCR could have been loaded down. I wonder if they may have been "low recoil" rounds?

Old 03-19-2015, 10:23 AM   #5

Liked 313 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Test like that only show how to waist time and money for all involved .

Old 03-19-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8521 Times on 4583 Posts
Likes Given: 18041

Range days are good days.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

jsr5 Likes This 
Old 03-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7146 Times on 3957 Posts
Likes Given: 6891

Shooting a .357 magnum round from a 2 inch barrel is like putting 145 octane aviation gasoline in your lawnmower.

It may make you feel good, but it accomplishes nothing.

“There aren't any great men. There are just great challenges that ordinary men like you and me are forced by circumstances to meet.”http://thinkexist.com/i/sq/as0.gif Admiral William Frederick Halsey Jr. (Bull) quote

junglejim Likes This 
Old 03-19-2015, 05:11 PM   #8

Liked 232 Times on 138 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default interesting test today

Test or no test I don't think there is a whole lot to choose from between the major calibers as long as they are good quality defensive loads. 9mm, 40, 45, 357 will all do the job.

Sure there are some minor differences but the important thing is to hit the target.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3346 Times on 1919 Posts
Likes Given: 1422

I would like to know the speed of the bullets from each firearm.

But, because we are comparing a .357 to a 9mm, there are other considerations.

The bullets them selves. Makers have been trying to improve the 9mm, but not doing too much improving on the already proven .357.

When testing (or comparing), one shot will not prove too much. The five round group is a good starting point for comparisons, but the more the better.

Flip a coin once and it lands on "heads" does not mean it will land on "heads" at flip 100.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-19-2015, 09:03 PM   #10

Liked 313 Times on 251 Posts
Likes Given: 34

There only so much you can get out of a 2" snubby with a 357. Now bump it to 3"and it starts to come alive , at 4" and a 125gr and 1500fps is not hard to get and that will make a difference with the right bullet . Want to do something goofy like bore holes in would load some hardcast 158gr and you can show up the best a 4" 9mm can offer and you still have 170, 180 and grain bullets to play with .