Info on George A. Wilson .45 Target Pistols
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Info on George A. Wilson .45 Target Pistols

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Info on George A. Wilson .45 Target Pistols

I am new to computers but am using this forum to seek information on some fasinating pistols. I am a retired farmer from Iowa with a life long interest in guns. I am a professional member of the Firearms Engravers Guild and the American Custom Gunmakers Guild and an NRA Life member. Currently I am engraving custom revolvers and have quite a backlog. Now for the information I am seeking. I read an article in 1961 Guns and Ammo about Mr. George A. Wilson from Pittsburg, Penn. and the three .45 target pistols that he made at that time. That article showed several pictures of a very unique design. The main features were that the slide worked on rails on the barrel and the barrel slid on grooves in the frame. The slide did not come back over the web of the hand but rather stayed within the frame and the dual hammers were internal and on the side ahead of the magazine well. I am currently making a pistol with those features but would really like to see how Mr. Wilson went about things. I have wanted to just see those pistols since the day I read that article and would travel anywhere to see them. I am sure the present owner is extremely proud of them and I just would hope to see them and study them. Number 2 and 3 were a matched set and an improvement on the first one. Those two are the ones I wish most to see. My email is dalofa@netins.net. Dan Love

Last edited by matt g; 11-24-2008 at 07:04 PM. Reason: cell number removed to prevent misuse

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-24-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Moved to proper forum for more exposure.

You might want to contact the Patent Office and request a copy of United States Patent 2975680, Semiautomatic pistol with breech block forward of magazine chamber, as it is George's design and patent.

I hope this is of some use to you: http://www.google.com/patents?id=v8FWAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP13&lpg=PP13&dq=Patent +2975680,+Semiautomatic+pistol+with+breech+block+f orward+of+magazine+chamber&source=bl&ots=j1fEUVzhz E&sig=yvnHh9bNEABYbdUaF30-yg162xU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=3&ct=resu lt#PPA1,M1

edit: Looks like an odd sear and a clunky trigger.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 11-24-2008 at 07:11 PM.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:21 PM   #3

Default My first reply..........wow

I am new to this computer forum and hope I am doing it right. The response with George A. Wilsons patent is fantastic. I still hope to see the improvements Mr. Wilson made on his subsequent number 2 and 3 pistols made as a pair. The second two were to be more simple to make but still that patent is something I wish I had seen so long ago. Who ever sent it thank you so much. I have spent well in excess of $15,000.00 to aquire the tools to make this pistol and would send you a picture of my present design. I have completed the barrel,slide,locking block,extractor,firing pin,front sight and have shot it without a frame. I have the frame half made but I really need to finish some engraving before christsmas for a customer. Wow hope I get another terrific response and see the second pair Mr. Wilson made. This computer site is fantastic, again thank you so very much. Dan

Old 11-24-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixgun45 View Post
I am new to this computer forum and hope I am doing it right. The response with George A. Wilsons patent is fantastic. I still hope to see the improvements Mr. Wilson made on his subsequent number 2 and 3 pistols made as a pair. The second two were to be more simple to make but still that patent is something I wish I had seen so long ago. Who ever sent it thank you so much. I have spent well in excess of $15,000.00 to aquire the tools to make this pistol and would send you a picture of my present design. I have completed the barrel,slide,locking block,extractor,firing pin,front sight and have shot it without a frame. I have the frame half made but I really need to finish some engraving before christsmas for a customer. Wow hope I get another terrific response and see the second pair Mr. Wilson made. This computer site is fantastic, again thank you so very much. Dan
Open an account here: www.photobucket.com and post the pictures there. After that, contact me and I'll let you know how to put the pictures up here. I'm sure most of the forum would be fascinated by your work.

You're doing the whole computer thing pretty well. Much better than some of those that were born into computer use. Feel free to hit me up if you need the other patents. I'll see if I can't track them down for you.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 11-24-2008 at 11:37 PM.