Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Info for Cheap Pistols To Purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 06:16 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 251 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Most of the guns shown are brand new guns. Keep in mind that very reasonable prices can be found for used guns, especially the non-collectible (If any) Colt and S&W revolvers. These can be found in pawn shops, yard sales, or newspaper ads at prices around $100~$200 dollar range. Even badly worn Colt or S&W guns can be made servicable with parts replacements. Parts are usually available from Gun Parts Corp. And the older revolvers so simple to repair, a cave man can do it.

Bob Wright

Old 10-30-2008, 01:07 PM   #22

ok i get it , i Quit but i get it.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:53 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanguard View Post
ok i get it , i Quit but i get it.
CAVEMAN...

Old 11-16-2008, 07:38 PM   #24

Default Just bought Hi point C-9

Just bought a C-9 what should i expect? I know it's a lower end pistol but read alot of good about it. Article in mag said that it was a good piece...I intend to do alot of target shooting.....

Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM   #25
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 53 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tncryotec View Post
Just bought a C-9 what should i expect? I know it's a lower end pistol but read alot of good about it. Article in mag said that it was a good piece...I intend to do alot of target shooting.....
I doubt you'll have any problem with a Hi Point.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:59 PM   #26

It is odd timing that I noticed this thread today. I ordered a Hi-point 9mm 2 weeks ago and due to it being back ordered I finally received it today.

I am really excited about getting it out and running some rounds through it. I bought some Winchester white box 115 gr FMJ, Remington UMC jacketed hollow point, and some Magtech 115 gr FMC. I wanted to get a bit of an assortment to see what the gun liked to eat the best. I am hoping it's the Winchester to be honest as it is the cheapest to purchase.

I am not sure when I will finally get out with it but as soon as I do I will come back and let you all know what I think of it.

Thanks for reading and GREAT thread topic.....especially these days.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 11-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #27

I've had very good luck with Astras over the years. I have 3 of them right now, a 9mm A-100, and two A-75's, a .40S&W and a 9mm. I had an A-80 about 20 years ago, and put several thousand rounds through it, with no problems. I haven't shot the 9mm A-75 yet, but the .40 one eats everything I put in it, without a hitch, so does the A-100.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:26 AM   #28

Sorry, but there is absolutely no way in hades I would recommend someone buying a Bryco, Jennings, Jimenez, or Cobra. I've owned one and fired a couple of the others and they are more of a liability to the shooter than they are to the assailant.

The Jennings I had jammed every shot. I send it off to a smith for a fix... When it came back I pulled the trigger and it fired full auto. Thank God I was in the desert... Try explaining that to a range officer. The others are same design, same cheap materials, same flaws. In the end, my conscience wouldn't let me sell it to some unsuspecting noob... I hacksawed the gun in half and pitched it in the garbage.

The only one on that list I WOULD recommend would be the Hi-Point. Ugly as sin, but the thing goes bang every time you pull the trigger, and, at a VERY affordable price. That, or cough up an extra hundred bucks and get a used gun on Gunbroker. You can EASILY get an excellent used Glock or Smith for under $400.

Old 11-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #29

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

After researching a little more on the little auto pistols from the "ring of fire" folks, I agree with that last post. Stick with something from manufacturers like Hi-Point and whatnot.

I will say that getting a nice derringer is a good option. They only hold 2 rounds, and are nothing compared to having a revolver or auto for defense, BUT they will do the job and the simplistic design is good for the novice firearm owners out there.

(I am only saying this because I just got a little .22LR derringer for only 55 dollars at a local pawn shop. Add the additional 9 dollars for a box of over 300 Winchester .22LR rounds, and you've got a pistol, and plenty of ammunition for practice and defense for only 64 dollars. With cheap finds like that, there is almost no excuse for not being armed.)

Old 11-29-2008, 12:07 PM   #30

Tokarev TT30/33 in 7.62 mm (Type P), flat and very consealable, reliable, kick arse round and cheap to boot...............