im haveing a child soon questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > im haveing a child soon questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 04:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 334 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl View Post
My concern nowadays wouldn't be your child, it would be the other kids that will eventually be hanging out at your house.
Which is why mine are locked up if I am not home. I might trust my kids with safe combo, but I don't/won't trust anyone else. My kids will/are being taught all the rules of safe firearms handling and shooting. They are too young (4 and 5) to really shoot much (although my oldest has shot bb guns). She is very mature and I will probably start her on a .22 rifle (she already has a pink one picked out) next year. My son...well time will tell with that boy. Right now I don't trust him with a roll of toilet paper. He has the attention span of a knat. My biggest fear with firearms is not what goes on at my house, but what goes on at their friends houses.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:35 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1816 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD1969

Which is why mine are locked up if I am not home. I might trust my kids with safe combo, but I don't/won't trust anyone else. My kids will/are being taught all the rules of safe firearms handling and shooting. They are too young (4 and 5) to really shoot much (although my oldest has shot bb guns). She is very mature and I will probably start her on a .22 rifle (she already has a pink one picked out) next year. My son...well time will tell with that boy. Right now I don't trust him with a roll of toilet paper. He has the attention span of a knat. My biggest fear with firearms is not what goes on at my house, but what goes on at their friends houses.
That's why my parents always had to know where I was....not that I was always where I said I would be but that's another story. Alot of my friends carried guns when I was in HS. I didn't hang out with the best crowd but I knew that they had my back and would never let anyome hurt me. I've been around guns my whole life and am very comfortable. I hope though that your children do not hang out with the folks that I did.

Last edited by Zombiegirl; 06-26-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:02 AM   #13

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombiegirl

That's why my parents always had to know where I was....not that I was always where I said I would be but that's another story. Alot of my friends carried guns when I was in HS. I didn't hang out with the best crowd but I knew that they had my back and would never let anyome hurt me. I've been around guns my whole life and am very comfortable. I hope though that your children do not hang out with the folks that I did.
Yea me too, and i will teach and stress saftey safety safety. My child will have to past many test before they shoot some test will be obvious and others will be a test if they pay attention. And ive taken my gf shooting and she loved it after every mag her only response was one more baby. My thoughts-hell yea. I taught her and she did very well better than my first time. I taught my little 10 yr brother how to shoot and i **** you not his first round hit the bullseye

Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #14
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

Masad Ayoob, the much-published firearms trainer, told a story in one of his books about an incident that happened with one of his kids. He trains gun handling from the time they are interested in guns (about three years old) and treats ALL guns, even toys, as if they are real. As a result, his sone of seven or eight years old, while over at a friend's house, was faced with the friend bringing out his father's gun. The friend knew where dad hid it and used it to impress his friends. Ayoob's son asked if he could "see" the weapon, and when the gun was given to him, he ejected the magazine and cleared the chamber of a live round in correct order. He pocketed the magazine and round and gave. The now-unloaded gun back to the friend. When Ayoob's son got home, he gave Mas the magazine and round and told him the story. Mas called the other father and talked to him about education for his son and better gun security.

Because Mas educated his son for five years, a potentially deadly accident was averted. The better you educate your children, the better they can handle situations they may run into when you can't protect them.

Canebrake had the right advice, but it's called, "Forbidden Fruit Syndrome." anything that is hidden and forbidden from contact causes people, especially children, to fixate on ways to obtain the object. Put chocolate chip cookies on top of the refrigerator, tell your children, "No!" and then start the stopwatch to see how fast they build a tower to it! Education, talk and safe handling make the firearm obtainable, useable and take away all the mystery. I taught my daughter about firearms starting at three when she asked about guns while watching a movie. I took her to the range with me, and she "helped" while cleaning them. As a result, she never tried to get at my collection or show them to friends - they were just an everyday item.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 06-27-2012, 01:24 AM   #15

I really enjoyed this, thankyou for the info

Old 06-28-2012, 02:01 AM   #16

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

My son first shot one of my ARs at 3 y/o. One of the very few times they have seem a bench. He sat in my lap, put the red dot on the target, and put a 5.56 sized hole in some paper.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:09 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJK
My son first shot one of my ARs at 3 y/o. One of the very few times they have seem a bench. He sat in my lap, put the red dot on the target, and put a 5.56 sized hole in some paper.
Yea my gf would never allow that

Old 06-28-2012, 02:45 AM   #18

Liked 1084 Times on 786 Posts
Likes Given: 558

Mine are only a bit over 2 and were 2 months early but other that still being small for their age they are very smart and wide ...... Thee hell open ! Madison is a bit further along with skills and can talk much much better than him but is hard head as a petrified turd ! Evan listens but cant sit still , both like guns , they are known to them as bang bang - hurt you - bite you - and be careful . I will let them pull the trigger on the rem mod 34 and they love it but as far as them getting the whole not pointing at someone aint got though yet . My boatmonkey mentor has around 100 old old old bb guns , all junk but some wd40 makes em puff a bit . I give them to the kids on the street or to the parents but right now mine have a s&w 6in 357 in plastic china version .

Kid / kids are the most amazing blessing in life , the long nights of crying and boo boos are nothing when they crawl in your lap , give you that first kiss , the first steps and laughs .
if you waiting for the right time in your life or to be financially stable before you have kids then you will never be ready .
Taking ours on trips and vacations is a major pain in the ass due to long rides and un-familiar places and things but when we get them on the pontoon and hit the sand bars ,water , crabs , gulls and baby sharks , its priceless to see them running around having fun .
Madison is a bit fancy and Evan is more into driving and motors than guns but thats ok too .
Congratulations and dont let the doctors spook you with all the possible problems . Hope it is a smooth time for you guys .
A gun hating girlfriend must be changed

Danger is real , Fear is a option

“Whoever acknowledges me before others, I will also acknowledge before my Father in heaven. But whoever disowns me before others, I will disown before my Father in heaven.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:48 AM   #19

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig

Not sure if you have done this, but I taught my GF the 4 safety rules. Let her know how responsible you have to be. Then took her shooting. Your gf shoot?

Old 06-28-2012, 03:32 AM   #20

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig View Post
Yeah, my son is a lot like his dad. He's definitely man in the making. Loving and caring but quick to get things done when necessary. Can't raise men by babying them.