Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > im haveing a child soon questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Default im haveing a child soon questions

My gf is pregnant with our 1st child and my question is at what age can i start teching them how to handle/shoot a firearm and what caliber should i start with. Should i get them there own firearm and is it a responsible thing to do teaching them at a young age. I dont want them to think its a toy

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #2

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Well first congrats! Children are amazing, yet a big challenge. Get your sleep now! I would think you can start teaching the rules, when they can understand what you say. I would start them on air soft guns, then move to .bb or pellet. Then when your confident in them .22 rifles. It will depend on the child. I remember being 6 shooting 44 mag carbine and an ar15. Mind you after time with a bb gun and 22. Constant safety talks etc.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Rick1967 Likes This 
Old 06-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2195 Times on 1097 Posts
Likes Given: 1123

Ultimate,

Congratulations! This is certainly an exciting time! And no matter girl or boy they like shooting and spending time with Dad whether shooting, fishing or just hanging out!

There is nothing wrong with starting them out young. We are talking about two or three. They learn quickly and the more we work with them the faster they learn. I started mine of around 2 with toy guns. And worked with them regarding pointing them at people when we went on our imaginary target shooting and hunting trips or handled the toy gun. As the got older around 4 I started them with a BB gun shooting cans and just having fun. Later a 22 rifle. But all the time still instructing safe gun handling skills. If they had it down at 4 they then began to shoot a 22 bolt action single shot rifle that I had cut down for them. Preferably shooting supported from a bench or table. If it was off hand it was only for a brief few shots since the rifle was still heavy for them and I did not want to discourage them by them struggling to hold the rifle up and hit the target. To instill success at this age is very important. Of course today they have some nice little 22 cal Bolt Action Rifles called the Chipmunk and other similar rifles for little people. By 7 they were shooting small caliber rifles and pistols/revolvers. By around 12 they were shooting everything that Dad would shoot. And sometimes I did not get to shoot much if you know what I mean! But I sure got to watch and coach! LOL! I would have it no other way! My oldest was a boy and we have one daughter who loves to shoot when she gets a chance and does have her own guns. Now we have four children and 7 grandchildren who most all of them are pro gun and like to shoot when they get a chance and get down to see us. I am blessed due to the fact Dad/Grandpa has a 100 yard max. range here on the property.
So we send you our blessings regarding the little one! Boy or Girl makes no difference when it comes to enjoying the shooting sport and all the benifits to the family it brings. Have fun, spend valuable time with the baby and teach the little one to enjoy shooting, firearms, safety. discipline and respect!
My Grandfather use to say: Quote! Show me a Boy/(Girl) that loves the out of doors, fishin, huntin or shootin (His exact voice expressions) and I will show you a young person who is much less likely to ever get themselves into trouble!

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Last edited by Sniper03; 06-21-2012 at 08:26 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #4

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

It's amazing how well toddlers learn. You hear of kids being able to read prior to pre K! Firearm safety should be taught as early as possible, using toy guns of course. Now, as to real guns, each child will be different. Temperment may be the important thing. If the child has really bad temper fits, don't give them a gun!

Old 06-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #5

Thanks all will take all advice and use it...im tginking nerf to airsoft to daisy to 22. Thanks agian

Old 06-26-2012, 12:55 AM   #6

I explained this to my gf and shes like no my child will not shoot guns...lmao what momie doesnt know wont hurt her

Old 06-26-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
I am the Fanman
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate_sig
I explained this to my gf and shes like no my child will not shoot guns...lmao what momie doesnt know wont hurt her
just got to get mommie shooting first pull will fix that issue

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 06-26-2012, 03:28 AM   #8

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Nothing is a big deal until it's made a big deal.

I grew up in a house that had guns that were not hidden. No, they were not left lying around, but when used, cleaned and discussed it was open and not in hushed tones. Hell, I was in middle school before I found out not every home had a gun. That's because my dad answered every question I had about them.

I fired his M1911A1 when I was only 9. I went into the woods hunting with him at 11.

That is why I like the following;

In a society's endeavor to deal with firearms, it is much healthier to impart respect and knowledge, than to inculcate fear. - cane

Tell a kid they can't have something and that will be the only thing they will think about. It's the human condition.

Do your part and give your kids the gift of knowledge. It's a gift they will thank you for.

Truth and understanding, even about evil black rifles, is far better than mystery and fear.

Worked for me, and I think I turned out OK.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
People Like This 
Old 06-26-2012, 03:41 AM   #9

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Sniper & Cane are spot on. Teach them early the basics, then gradually work them up according to their maturity level, and be open about guns don't cloak them in the mysterious cloud of secrets, they will suprise you. Only you as the parent will know for sure when they're ready to progress. Congrats and have fun.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:16 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1815 Times on 994 Posts
Likes Given: 2

My Dad used to take me shooting at a friend's farm since I was about 7ish. His guns were never locked up. We learned at a young age that they were not toys and that we did not play with them when he wasn't home. My concern nowadays wouldn't be your child, it would be the other kids that will eventually be hanging out at your house.