Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I'm a handgunner........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 02:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 239 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default I'm a handgunner........

I don't mean to start an argument here, just curious.

In a recent thread, a correspondent stated he was "anti-revovler", meaning he was an aficionado of the auto loader. The "anti-" sort of made me wonder, why?

I've been a handguner for a long time, counting September, 1954 as the date I became a handgunner. In this time I have shot just about every type of handgun that was safe to shoot, some mybe not so. I've owned over sixty different types of handguns, and shot most of them pretty well. Had a Luger ($49.95) once, also a Colt Gold Cup .45 ACP. Entertained the idea for awhile of becoming an exhibition shooter, shot NRA Bullseye competition, shot on U.S. Army pistol teams, smallbore and .45, have dabbled in metallic silhouette shooting, and hunting both small game and white tail deer.

I currently am into single action revovlers, and when better off financially, shot at a minimum 10,000 rounds per year.

Though my preferances lie with the SA revovler, I am not "anti" any handgun, enjoy shooting them all. Well, maybe not so much the cap-and-ball guns.

I enjoy handsome guns, good shooting, and good shooting companions.

Am I an outcast?

Bob Wright

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #2

Liked 1637 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

I am anti-Jennings

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 02:17 AM   #3

Liked 696 Times on 447 Posts
Likes Given: 224

I have shot countless handguns also. I enjoy shooting most handguns. The hard kickers not so much.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:20 AM   #4

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I believe the feller in question is simply young and fairly newer to handgunning. A Padawan, if you will. It's okay. The youngling shall learn. If you notice, he already seemed to be having light bulbs going off over his head.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:22 AM   #5

Liked 1637 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 1092

Seriously, I like any quality made gun. Revolver or semi...I like them both. I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk in 44 mag that I really enjoy.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

AIKIJUTSU Likes This 
Old 11-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

No Bob, not an outcast, just a well grounded fella that is comfortable with his past decisions.

I was one of those auto-loader snobs for years.......then I purchased a S&W M29-2 and became enlightened to the wheel-gun world. I haven't looked back and have added several DA and SA revolvers to my arsenal over the years.

I'm not anti any gun ('sept for that glock thingie) but think it's because of smart buying decisions and being blessed with the economics of affordability when selecting quality firearms.

Continue being you and you'll always continue to garner my respect.

cane

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-03-2012, 02:34 AM   #7
Camo, you are lucky to see it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1702 Times on 942 Posts
Likes Given: 5177

Not having read the original post in context, I have no facts to base my opinion, but here it is (1)

The correspondent used anti-revolver to indicate that he was opposed to the revolver. "Opposed" as being opposite, or opposition- as to the "other side", hence autoloader. I am not sure he (2) meant that they should be outlawed or banned.

Words have meanings, Words have connotation, Sometimes words are used accurately, sometimes not.
Sometimes words have multiple meanings, It's amazing that we communicate as well as we do.

--------------------------------
FootNotes.
1. Opionions based on fact are certainly the most accurate.
2. Again, my usage of the word "he" is inclusive. I was born in a simpler time.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #8

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

@Bob, I think a lot of the younger shooters only have experience with only a few guns that they think are the best. They are big fans of these guns. The absence of touring factory teams that were popular a few years ago has lead them to be fans of guns instead of a particular shooter. Thirty years ago I would become fascinated with a factory shooter and go see his demonstrations anytime he was in driving distance of my home. You don't hear about touring shooters coming to a nearby range anymore.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-03-2012, 03:00 AM   #9

Liked 4787 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Well I look at S&W handguns that have a dash after the Mdl. number as a radical new handgun. The younger shooters are embracing semiauto rifles and handguns. I am amazed at the scorn they have for revolvers. It is just the change in generations. The people who make and sell handguns are marketing more semiautos. If it were not for the Cowboy Action which is fadding there would be few new six guns. You are having a "Rip Van winkle" moment.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:07 AM   #10

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Hey now.... I'm a young guy still, and I was always a revolver man, except while in the service, and until I discovered the 1911. I still love revolvers, and plan on getting another Smith sometime pretty soon.

There's still hope for us young farts yet.