Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   I'm going to Iraq and need help choosing a hand gun. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/im-going-iraq-need-help-choosing-hand-gun-1656/)

kerensky 08-12-2007 11:17 PM

I'm going to Iraq and need help choosing a hand gun.

I'm going to be going to Iraq as a civilian contractor. And will be in dangerous situations on occasion. So I would like your guy's help selecting a good handgun for protection. I am smaller guy about 5'10 and 150 lbs. I have never used handguns before but I am failure with rifles. I spent a short time in the Marines, before my medical discharge.

I need something that is Accurate, but also carry some punch too it. I've been looking at a 9mm or something comparable. Id like a desert eagle however i think the desert eagle would be a little large for me and impractical.

Any advice or help would be great. Also any ideas on good places to purchase them and general prices. I'm looking at around 600 or so i might be able to budget up to 1k. I would also need spare magazines, would like to have plenty of rounds in case something does happens.

Thanks
Steve

ranger_sxt 08-12-2007 11:32 PM

Glock 19. Magazines should be easy to get replacements for on the economy, and you can get ammunition through US Government supply channels.

Just be sure that your employer will allow you to carry weapons.

notdku 08-13-2007 01:23 AM

Which company are you going to work for?

kerensky 08-13-2007 02:01 AM

probably KBR... i havn't finalized everything out specificly. My brother was in the Army in Iraq and he said it was pretty safe. but i'd rather have it and not need it rather than not.

notdku 08-13-2007 06:08 AM

So your going to go to Iraq and once there find a contractor to work for?

RMTactical 08-15-2007 07:52 PM

Glock.

My good friend who worked as a contractor over there said that all of the contractors he knew carried Glocks. They just work! Plus, they are plentiful over there.

pioneer461 08-21-2007 09:13 PM

Lots of opinions. May I suggest you go to a range that has rental guns available and try various kinds. Or, if you know friends with different kinds, see if they will let you shoot them. What works for me, won't necessarily work for you.

Glocks are accurate and reliable, I once owned one, but it didn't fit my hand well and I was nervous about the trigger. I carried it a couple of years, then traded it.

Different strokes for different folks.

Don Lu 09-11-2007 02:41 AM

If you would ask a question like this I have to assume you are not very expirienced w/handguns (or you'd know your own preference/answer)......If you are familiar Id sugest a Hi-cap .45 like glock or XD..If not too familiar I suggest a Glodk or XD in 9mm for lighter recoil...but practice practice ....practice.

Doc 09-14-2007 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Lu (Post 8124)
If you would ask a question like this I have to assume you are not very expirienced w/handguns (or you'd know your own preference/answer)......If you are familiar Id sugest a Hi-cap .45 like glock or XD..If not too familiar I suggest a Glodk or XD in 9mm for lighter recoil...but practice practice ....practice.

Get some instruction first or you may become very proficient at doing it WRONG.

Doc

OSTRANDERJB 03-26-2009 10:54 PM

You should look into

I am also new to handguns. About 2 months ago i got a cz 100 cal. 9mm. I was going to get a glock but, all your paying for is the name($600.00). The cz is "your best bang for your buck!!" i was told by the owner of the gun range i've been going to that... All the recent handgun comps. Have been getting won by ppl with the cz. I got the gun, 2 13 round magz, 3 boxes of bullets, 2 cleaning tools, and the carrying case for $399.00. It's all up to you and how each gun feels to you. Can't let other ppl tell you what to get.