I'm flying to another state for to weeks - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

I'm flying to another state for to weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 55

The TSA website is very clear.

Do make sure you check the websites of the airline(s) you plan to fly. They may have some other specific guideline that you wouldn't normally think of. When I flew on one particular airline, they required that any ammunition be in the original packaging (which must also conform to TSA's guidelines).

Be calm, pleasant and patient. A couple of airline agents I dealt with were a little anxious. I don't think they were so anxious about the gun itself, but it seemed to me they didn't want to make a mistake.

One good piece of advice I read somewhere is to print out the guidelines from the TSA website and the airline and keep them handy in case there's a disagreement over specifics. I never needed it, but it was good to have.

@WOC, I have read more than one account of people carrying a firearm in luggage that also contained other valuables, such as photography equipment or jewelry as a method for making sure your other valuables don't get stolen.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
William S. Burroughs