I'm flying to another state for to weeks
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I'm flying to another state for to weeks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I'm flying to another state for to weeks

How do I get my handgun there....... Im in NC and i'm flying to louisisana. Help please or any tips

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3150 Times on 1815 Posts
Likes Given: 1344

Put it in a locked box in your checked baggage. Declare at the counter that there is a firearm in your checked baggage

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #3
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7986 Times on 4791 Posts
Likes Given: 10266

I would call the airlines you are flying with and ask them what procedure you should follow. Though I think Dan is correct.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9762 Times on 4200 Posts
Likes Given: 1537

Check airline and TSA website, In general, you will need a hard sided lockable gun case. Be sure that gun is unloaded. Ammo will need to be in ammo box, like the one it came in from store-not in a magazine.

When you arrive at airport, go to ticket counter. (write this down) Smile, and say "Good morning! I need to declare an unloaded firearm in my checked baggage." Do NOT just walk up and blurt out "I have a gun!"

They will usually take you aside, wait for TSA rep to get over there, have you open case, show is unloaded (does not have to be disassembled), you sign the orange Declaration of Unloaded Firearm, copy goes inside gun case, close case, lock, put inside suitcase, hand over to TSA.

When you get to other end, may be on baggage carousel, more likely to be at baggage office. Wait until you leave airport before loading.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-06-2012, 12:12 PM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7986 Times on 4791 Posts
Likes Given: 10266

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Check airline and TSA website, In general, you will need a hard sided lockable gun case. Be sure that gun is unloaded. Ammo will need to be in ammo box, like the one it came in from store-not in a magazine.

When you arrive at airport, go to ticket counter. (write this down) Smile, and say "Good morning! I need to declare an unloaded firearm in my checked baggage." Do NOT just walk up and blurt out "I have a gun!"

They will usually take you aside, wait for TSA rep to get over there, have you open case, show is unloaded (does not have to be disassembled), you sign the orange Declaration of Unloaded Firearm, copy goes inside gun case, close case, lock, put inside suitcase, hand over to TSA.

When you get to other end, may be on baggage carousel, more likely to be at baggage office. Wait until you leave airport before loading.

Too funny!! I would be afraid it would be stolen.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Do not put TSA locks on the gun case. Put a TSA lock on the suit case and regular locks on the gun case. Wait 20 to 30 minutes or untill you KNOW your bag cleared TSA inspection. I Waited 25 minutes in Detroit to clear TSA. I then went though security started walking to the gate when I got a page to go back to the ticket counter because TSA wanted the keys to inspect the gun. The TSA agent was real nice and she rush me past security check point to get me to the gate for my flight. After 10 hours and panic rush to pull my bags off my flight rebooking on anther airline and another bag check in an finely 18 hours later we got to our hotel in FL we opened the suit case and found the TSA letter and our clothes neatly packed better then my wife hastily pack it. I think I will have TSA pack our clothes for our next trip.

Get to the airport early. Also take a look at the other passengers faces when you open your gun case at the ticket counter.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Last edited by 007BondJamesBond007; 02-06-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #7

Liked 9208 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Sounds like you had a good experience with TSA. You know your the only one in the country, right?

Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Sounds like you had a good experience with TSA. You know your the only one in the country, right?
I have never had a problem with a TSA agent. I have 22" of metal in my right knee and been hand searched every time. I chatted and joked with the agent and every time they always been polite.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 02-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

My trip, for the most part, was uneventful. When I left Wichita, I declared my pistol. They just looked at me like I told them the sky is blue, handed me the forms to sign, ask me if it was unloaded, then took my bag. A real snore-fest. But two weeks later when I was leaving Phoenix, it was a little different. I declared my pistol and they wanted me to pull it out and show them it was unloaded...at the ticket counter!! I ask them if they really wanted me to pull it out right there and they insisted. But then they had me do it with my bag blocking the view of the rest of the customers.

Then they wanted me to leave my lock box unlocked. I told them that I WOULD NOT leave my firearm unsecured. She then said they needed to do this in case the TSA agent wanted to inspect it. I again refused to leave it unsecured. I told her that if they needed to inspect it they could page me and I would be more than happy to return, with the key, and both the key and I would go get the pistol inspected. I don't think they were real excited with this, but it all worked out and it was a pretty good experience overall.

As stated earlier, just be kind and not nervous. Read the airlines rules for transporting a weapon and read the TSA guidelines. It would also be good advise to review the gun laws of the state you're traveling to, also. It should be a smooth experience for you also. Good luck.

Old 02-06-2012, 03:57 PM   #10

Thank everyone for all the advice