Im buying my first handgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Im buying my first handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 07:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59

If you're planning to become a police officer and are looking for a duty gun, I say don't make it a multipurpose gun. Your life, and possibly the lives of others, could depend on your ability with that gun and, IMHO, that gun should not be a compromise.

How long until you anticipate becoming a police officer? And I don't know about your area, but around here, people go through one academy but may get hired in one of a number of city and county departments, or even college campuses.

If it's going to be a while before you get hired, and if you think you'll have time to purchase another gun, look toward your current needs. If you want a practice gun, look at a .22. If you want a more full-size gun, get a 9mm. These are cheap to shoot.

If you will graduate soon, look at the approved gun lists for the department(s) where you hope to be hired and get one that's on ALL the lists — that way you're covered wherever you go.

I don't know how long hunting season runs in PA, but you will have lost at least some of this season if you can't get the gun until December. So if you want to hunt with a handgun, you might think about making this a separate purchase for next year. And if you were thinking about hunting with a handgun as a way of not buying a second gun, you might want to rethink it. You can get a decent rifle for less than most big-bore revolvers suitable for hunting.
That's true. I never even thought about hunting season being over very shorty after I buy it. And then have to get my permit to carry it. I wouldn't be using it to actually hunt with but more as a secondary weapon that's better than a bolt action rifle as a self defense in the woods weapon. I've asked about glocks for the departments and they have all said a 10mm would be suitable and they would even provide me an allotted amount of ammo each year. (practice on my own is self provided of course.) an I'll be graduating by mid summer next year depending on performance.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:07 AM   #12

Liked 181 Times on 102 Posts
Likes Given: 407

The Glock 29 sounds good enough. The Glock 19, OR 23 sounds better.

Do some more research before you purchase.

The 10mm caliber doesn't seem like a good option for novice carry. Since you're asking for advice.

Look into a 9mm, 40S&W, OR a 45ACP. 357 SIG isn't doing justice for retailers; or so the majority.

If you think the 10mm caliber is your personal choice when you're at the range, sounds good to me.

Zoey,

Old 09-03-2011, 08:10 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoey
The Glock 29 sounds good enough. The Glock 19, OR 23 sounds better.

Do some more research before you purchase.

The 10mm caliber doesn't seem like a good option for novice carry. Since you're asking for advice.

Look into a 9mm, 40S&W, OR a 45ACP. 357 SIG isn't doing justice for retailers; or so the majority.

If you think the 10mm caliber is your personal choice when you're at the range, sounds good to me.

Zoey,
I liked the 10mm because it was an interesting round and because I am able to buy that barrel and shoot 40s&w too.

Old 09-03-2011, 02:41 PM   #14
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2472 Times on 1324 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra View Post
I liked the 10mm because it was an interesting round and because I am able to buy that barrel and shoot 40s&w too.
Interesting rounds typically mean expensive.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 09-03-2011, 05:52 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

Interesting rounds typically mean expensive.
They aren't that much more than .45acp. Double tap sells them for a few dollars more. And they have better prices on bulk.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 324 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 49

10mm has the potential to be an excellent choice or a terrible one, from one shooter to the next.

Here's what you need to know (if you don't already):

Positives: 10mm is a powerful cartridge that can approach 41mag performance in a reliable and (w/ Glocks) high capacity semi-auto platform. But to attain this performance you must either be a competent handloader or order from a handful of somewhat expensive online loaders (Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, etc). As far as hunting, around here the G20/29 is a very popular hunting BUG during bow season. Elsewhere it might be a viable hog option. But if you go hunting with a 10mm pistol as your primary weapon, you're probably doing it wrong.

Negatives: It's expensive. That's not a huge deal when it comes to defense/hunting BUG rounds, as you'll probably shoot those rounds on a limited basis. But if you want to leave a few hundred rounds at the range on a regular basis, you're going to want a 40sw barrel for sure. The biggest issue with 10mm is that when you buy your basic range ammo (American Eagle for example), you will be paying inflated 10mm prices and the round you will receive will perform like a cheaper 40sw in every way (weight, speed, diameter, trajectory). This also applies to most of your staple JHP defense ammo from Win/Fed/Rem/etc...the vast majority of it has been loaded down to 40sw specs. But you still get the honor of paying for the spendier 10mm.

10mm is a pretty cool round IMO, just be sure it's a practical choice for you and know your way around the ammunition options. There are a ton people out there paying dearly to feed their 10mms, and all that's coming out the barrel is a 40sw.

Old 09-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #17

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22
10mm has the potential to be an excellent choice or a terrible one, from one shooter to the next.

Here's what you need to know (if you don't already):

Positives: 10mm is a powerful cartridge that can approach 41mag performance in a reliable and (w/ Glocks) high capacity semi-auto platform. But to attain this performance you must either be a competent handloader or order from a handful of somewhat expensive online loaders (Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, etc). As far as hunting, around here the G20/29 is a very popular hunting BUG during bow season. Elsewhere it might be a viable hog option. But if you go hunting with a 10mm pistol as your primary weapon, you're probably doing it wrong.

Negatives: It's expensive. That's not a huge deal when it comes to defense/hunting BUG rounds, as you'll probably shoot those rounds on a limited basis. But if you want to leave a few hundred rounds at the range on a regular basis, you're going to want a 40sw barrel for sure. The biggest issue with 10mm is that when you buy your basic range ammo (American Eagle for example), you will be paying inflated 10mm prices and the round you will receive will perform like a cheaper 40sw in every way (weight, speed, diameter, trajectory). This also applies to most of your staple JHP defense ammo from Win/Fed/Rem/etc...the vast majority of it has been loaded down to 40sw specs. But you still get the honor of paying for the spendier 10mm.

10mm is a pretty cool round IMO, just be sure it's a practical choice for you and know your way around the ammunition options. There are a ton people out there paying dearly to feed their 10mms, and all that's coming out the barrel is a 40sw.
I didn't know anything about them being loaded down. But I have all the stuff to reload and my uncle reloads. He told me he'd teach me to reload and would do some of them for me until I for it down. But I definitely planned of getting the .40sw barrel as well.