Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Im buying my first handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Im buying my first handgun

I guys I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm turning 21 here in december and I'm looking for a good pistol. I'm in school to be a police officer and will be required to provide my own service gun. I've been thinking about a glock 20 or 29 in 10mm. I'd like to use the gun as a service gun and for hunting and home defense at least until I get some more cash and can get separate guns. What do y'all think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-02-2011, 01:30 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

if i were you i would consider a semi pistol i know you mentioned hunting and you cant use semi pistols hunting atleast in pa you cant. If i was buying a pistol for self defense and for on the job like you will be i would seriously consider buying a kimber 1911. The price tag is high but kimber is one of the top of the line when it comes to self defense and accuracy. I just sold a 9mm and saving up for a kimber right now. my buddy has 2 of them and first time i shot it i was cutting holes at 30 yards very impresed. I found out with that 9mm it was a markarov buying a cheap gun for pretection isnt worth it. you have to buy something knowing if you get into a situation u can trust the gun no matter what and that gun is a kimber. Glocks are nice to but i never owned one before. and good luck with school.

Kimber America | 1911 Pistols

and check this video out

Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Will the department you work for allow the use of a 10mm? If so then by all means get the G20.

But if they regulate you to .40 S&W or 9mm and you want a Glock. Then look to the G17/G19 or G22/G23.

As for hunting. Pretty much any handgun is near worthless for hunting unless its a large bore revolver (.44Mag/.454Casull/.460Mag/.500Mag) or heavy caliber pistol (.460Rowland/.44mag/.50AE). The 10mm might be the absolute minimum of that range but I'd want something larger with a longer barrel myself (thinking 1911 longslide or Witness Hunter).

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 09-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

My honest opinion would be to get a Glock 22. The .40 is a very nice round. I have a wife and two kids to get home to after each shift and I carry it with confidence.

Last edited by Glore; 09-02-2011 at 03:41 AM.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:00 AM   #5

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2 View Post
Will the department you work for allow the use of a 10mm? If so then by all means get the G20.

But if they regulate you to .40 S&W or 9mm and you want a Glock. Then look to the G17/G19 or G22/G23.

As for hunting. Pretty much any handgun is near worthless for hunting unless its a large bore revolver (.44Mag/.454Casull/.460Mag/.500Mag) or heavy caliber pistol (.460Rowland/.44mag/.50AE). The 10mm might be the absolute minimum of that range but I'd want something larger with a longer barrel myself (thinking 1911 longslide or Witness Hunter).
^^^ What he said there...Your department may limit your choices to an approved list according to their testing and armorer's training. Whatever you choose be sure to train with it until you are proficient to the point of using it instinctively...in your future line of work your life will literally depend on it.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 09-02-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #6

Liked 2182 Times on 1251 Posts
Likes Given: 1766

You may want to find out what's popular in your particular

LE group.

Many places insist on either a 9mm, or a .357 revolver using

.38 special rounds. Some groups have moved on to the .40.

A few allow you to carry what you're comfortable with.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:49 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungiex8e8
if i were you i would consider a semi pistol i know you mentioned hunting and you cant use semi pistols hunting atleast in pa you cant. If i was buying a pistol for self defense and for on the job like you will be i would seriously consider buying a kimber 1911. The price tag is high but kimber is one of the top of the line when it comes to self defense and accuracy. I just sold a 9mm and saving up for a kimber right now. my buddy has 2 of them and first time i shot it i was cutting holes at 30 yards very impresed. I found out with that 9mm it was a markarov buying a cheap gun for pretection isnt worth it. you have to buy something knowing if you get into a situation u can trust the gun no matter what and that gun is a kimber. Glocks are nice to but i never owned one before. and good luck with school.

Kimber America | 1911 Pistols

and check this video out Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4fgy0LZwoU
Believe me when I say I will have a 1911 style pistol when the funds are there. I've been thinking colt, Springfield, or Kimber but can't decide. What is preferred here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesinge2

I'm shooting for the state police who will provide me with a gun. This is in the case that I have to get in local and they only say it must be larger than a 9mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glore
My honest opinion would be to get a Glock 22. The .40 is a very nice round. I have a wife and two kids to get home to after each shift and I carry it with confidence.
Te one thing I liked about the 10mm was that I can swap barrels and have 3 other calibers. Including the .40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

^^^ What he said there...Your department may limit your choices to an approved list according to their testing and armorer's training. Whatever you choose be sure to train with it until you are proficient to the point of using it instinctively...in your future line of work your life will literally depend on it.
Just from shooting with my dad and buddies I feel that I am fairly proficient with a handgun. Its hard to say seeings that I use different ones depending on who I'm shooting with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf
You may want to find out what's popular in your particular

LE group.

Many places insist on either a 9mm, or a .357 revolver using

.38 special rounds. Some groups have moved on to the .40.

A few allow you to carry what you're comfortable with.
They mostly all use .40 and .45 here. Almost all glocks too.

Old 09-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra View Post
Believe me when I say I will have a 1911 style pistol when the funds are there. I've been thinking colt, Springfield, or Kimber but can't decide. What is preferred here?
That's the question which gets to the heart of the matter. Choosing a handgun is a very personal matter. I far prefer the feel of a SA XDm in my hand than a Glock. Glocks to me have the ergonomic qualities of a paving brick. But I would never say everyone needs to buy a Springfield and throw away their Glocks.

You'll find that most on here will have their own preferences for particular handguns. But to be blunt, those who talk about "oh you have to buy this because it's the best" are blowing smoke out their gluteus maximus.

Ok... perhaps that's not quite true of Cane and BHP's. I drool over that gun.

There's a group of manufacturers that are appropriate for what you describe: Glock, SA, S&W, Sig, H&K, etc. Try them all and pick what feels best to you. They all make great guns.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 09-02-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:16 PM   #9

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97cobra View Post
I guys I'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I'm turning 21 here in december and I'm looking for a good pistol. I'm in school to be a police officer and will be required to provide my own service gun. I've been thinking about a glock 20 or 29 in 10mm. I'd like to use the gun as a service gun and for hunting and home defense at least until I get some more cash and can get separate guns. What do y'all think?
If you're planning to become a police officer and are looking for a duty gun, I say don't make it a multipurpose gun. Your life, and possibly the lives of others, could depend on your ability with that gun and, IMHO, that gun should not be a compromise.

How long until you anticipate becoming a police officer? And I don't know about your area, but around here, people go through one academy but may get hired in one of a number of city and county departments, or even college campuses.

If it's going to be a while before you get hired, and if you think you'll have time to purchase another gun, look toward your current needs. If you want a practice gun, look at a .22. If you want a more full-size gun, get a 9mm. These are cheap to shoot.

If you will graduate soon, look at the approved gun lists for the department(s) where you hope to be hired and get one that's on ALL the lists — that way you're covered wherever you go.

I don't know how long hunting season runs in PA, but you will have lost at least some of this season if you can't get the gun until December. So if you want to hunt with a handgun, you might think about making this a separate purchase for next year. And if you were thinking about hunting with a handgun as a way of not buying a second gun, you might want to rethink it. You can get a decent rifle for less than most big-bore revolvers suitable for hunting.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 09-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA

That's the question which gets to the heart of the matter. Choosing a handgun is a very personal matter. I far prefer the feel of a SA XDm in my hand than a Glock. Glocks to me have the ergonomic qualities of a paving brick. But I would never say everyone needs to buy a Springfield and throw away their Glocks.

You'll find that most on here will have their own preferences for particular handguns. But to be blunt, those who talk about "oh you have to buy this because it's the best" are blowing smoke out their gluteus maximus.

Ok... perhaps that's not quite true of Cane and BHP's. I drool over that gun.

There's a group of manufacturers that are appropriate for what you describe: Glock, SA, S&W, Sig, H&K, etc. Try them all and pick what feels best to you. They all make great guns.
Thats a good point. I like the feel of glocks. But at the same time I've never shot a Springfield or Kimber before. I appreciate the advice.