Illinois Law for purchasing from out of state.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Illinois Law for purchasing from out of state.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2009, 02:16 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Illinois Law for purchasing from out of state.

Hello:
I want to buy a hand gun from a relative (who lives in MO). Where can I find out what are the Illinois laws associated with this type of transaction?
Specifically, if they bring the gun next time they visit, do we have to fill out any forms, go to a gun dealer, etc?

Thanks,
Tynman

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-09-2009, 05:47 AM   #2

Gun dealer,Sheriff Dept.,Highway Patrol,Local Police,State Senator,City Proscuter,State Atty. Gen.,State Statutes,Local Ordinances,& Fed.A.T.F. Office.......................................

Old 01-10-2009, 10:47 AM   #3

Thanks Squib. The reason I asked is because I've been getting conflicting responses from different dealers. I think I'll check some of the other resources you recommended. Thanks again,

Old 01-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Also keep in mind that if it is a person-to-person sale, not from a gun store, the rules are a bit different too. Make sure that you clarify from where you will be getting or buying the gun.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #5

Good Point. I checked with 5 different soures (all licened dealers). 4 of the 5 said a detailed reciept of the gun, FOID #, serial number, date of sale, seller and buyer signatures, etc is all I need. They said the buyer and seller should keep the reiept for 10 years.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #6

That sounds right--
I'm in Illinois, too.
As far as I know, you have to have you're current FOID, and for handgun I think minimum age is 21.
Then, since its a private transaction, as was said, just keep a "bill of sale" for both parties with date, gun id, ser #, and names of "from" and "to".
Don't need to file that paperwork with anyone, just keep it to yourself.
It's better that way anyway--fewer people know you have it.

A picture, too, doesn't hurt, in case it ever gets stolen.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:29 PM   #7

Hey Bernie:
That's what I ended up doing...the detailed receipt. I should be good to go. Thanks for the reassurance.
TynMan