Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > If you need range time but can't afford a lot of ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

Default If you need range time but can't afford a lot of ammo

I am going to kind of go out on a limb a little here and recommend something that some may like and some people may not like.

We all like to shoot and the more shooting one does usually the better we get. We have seen the price of firearms and ammunition increasing over the last few years. Sometimes right through the roof, making ones range time a lot less due to costs and ones wallet being much more empty now that we have to pay to be Americans.

If one can afford a good quality .22lr handgun they can shoot at the range a lot because ammo is not as expensive as other calibers. But you don’t get the feel of a higher power handgun. This can be somewhat overcome by using a higher powered handgun but we incur a cost in ammo.

A happy medium would be to buy a Tokarev handgun, which J&G sales has them for $199.95 U.S. The ammo is running around $5.46 per 70 rounds, $52.50 per 700 rounds or $90.09 per 1,260 rounds. Making this a very cost effective gun and ammo for range time with the feel of a higher powered gun.

The Tokarev is not the best gun but for the price of ammo it is one I can live with for more range time.

opaww

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've thought about getting one just because they're so inexpensive but I haven't as of yet.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-09-2011, 02:31 PM   #3

Liked 406 Times on 262 Posts
Likes Given: 34

The ergonomics of the Tok have turned me off when considering a low-cost range toy. It's just not comfortable for me to shoot for extended sessions.