Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > If you could design a handgun, what would it's features be???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Default If you could design a handgun, what would it's features be???

If you could design your very own handgun, what features would you incorporate?

Use your imagination on this thread. Most, if not all, of us has thought at one point when looking at a handgun in a store "Why was this designed like this? I could have done better."

Tell us what you think would revolutionize the handgun industry.

Personally, I would want to take the Mateba line of "semi-automatic" revolvers and expand on that line. I would change the design of the Mateba (possibly streamline it a little bit), and work on smoothing out the action. I would also try to engineer a simple "auto-eject" function when the cylinder is opened. I would want to offer this type of handgun in all of the common calibers, to include the .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9x19mm, and .357 SIG. Another feature would be the ability to change the timing to allow instant changing of 5, 6, 7, 8 round cylinders. This would be known as the revolver line that takes the semi autos head on in speed and form.

A side project along with this would be to create a smaller compact version for concealed carry.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2009, 02:52 AM   #2

IMO; the perfect defense/duty gun would have to be lightweight, plenty of capacity, ambidextrous, disassemble & maintain easily, durable, versatile as possible and fit so well in one's hand that it felt like an extension of your hand.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:57 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
IMO; the perfect defense/duty gun would have to be lightweight, plenty of capacity, ambidextrous, disassemble & maintain easily, durable, versatile as possible and fit so well in one's hand that it felt like an extension of your hand.
So, you would design the Springfield Armory XD series.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:02 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorknoids View Post
So, you would design the Springfield Armory XD series.
NO, I don't think so.
I'm sure many gun mfg's try to fill that order such as, FNH, Heckler & Koch, Glock, etc,etc,etc, but how many really achieve it?

Old 08-27-2009, 03:09 AM   #5

An auto similar to the HK USP series, ambi, can be carried DA/SA, as well as cocked and locked like the 1911, that could change calibers easily. I'd like to be able to switch from 9mm all the way 460 Rowland and calibers of my choosing in between, with a simple barrel, spring, mag change.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:02 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 753X0 View Post
An auto similar to the HK USP series, ambi, can be carried DA/SA, as well as cocked and locked like the 1911, that could change calibers easily. I'd like to be able to switch from 9mm all the way 460 Rowland and calibers of my choosing in between, with a simple barrel, spring, mag change.
I had an H/O for the Sig P 250, but you might as well buy 2 guns at the prices they want for the conversion kits.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:54 AM   #7

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

semi-automatic, interchangable upper to fire any pistol ammo from .22 to .45, 8+1 magazine, NEVER MIND that's a 1911!!

Old 08-30-2009, 02:43 AM   #8
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

DA semi auto with a 3" barrel that shoots like it has a 5" barrel. Light as a polly gun but with the feel of steel. Stopping power of a 45 with the mag capacity of a 9mm in a slim frame. Adjustable night sights with a intergrated light/laser combo that doesn't add bulk/size to the pistol. Ambi controls, Easy field strip and a holster that fits like butter.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:59 AM   #9

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mine would be a 1911 style gun only polymer based.

The magazine release would be ambi, and the slide release wouldn't be on the slide, it'd be a small button/lever on the inside of the trigger guard. You complete you rounds, slide locks to the rear, switch the mags and without adjusting your grip at all you just slide your trigger finger forward and down a bit and you're good to go.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 08-30-2009, 03:35 AM   #10

Liked 1084 Times on 638 Posts
Likes Given: 338

I've imagined what I'm sure you all will think is a retarded design but here goes.

Pistols have the barrel above your hand, this means that when the gun kicks it takes you off target because your hand flinches back in an upward motion. If however a gun were designed with the barrel at the center of the hand kick would drive your hand directly backwards with no change of angle, possibly allowing for more on target rapid fire. Of course a sight would have to be mounted several inches away from the barrel to be seen by the shooter. It could be mounted to the left/right of the barrel, then you would only need to compensate for a couple inches left/right at any distance vs a vertical compensation which would be more dependent on range.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson