Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   If you could design a handgun, what would it's features be??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/if-you-could-design-handgun-what-would-its-features-17395/)

SGT-MILLER 08-27-2009 02:19 AM

If you could design a handgun, what would it's features be???

If you could design your very own handgun, what features would you incorporate?

Use your imagination on this thread. Most, if not all, of us has thought at one point when looking at a handgun in a store "Why was this designed like this? I could have done better."

Tell us what you think would revolutionize the handgun industry.

Personally, I would want to take the Mateba line of "semi-automatic" revolvers and expand on that line. I would change the design of the Mateba (possibly streamline it a little bit), and work on smoothing out the action. I would also try to engineer a simple "auto-eject" function when the cylinder is opened. I would want to offer this type of handgun in all of the common calibers, to include the .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9x19mm, and .357 SIG. Another feature would be the ability to change the timing to allow instant changing of 5, 6, 7, 8 round cylinders. This would be known as the revolver line that takes the semi autos head on in speed and form.

A side project along with this would be to create a smaller compact version for concealed carry.

UnderFire 08-27-2009 02:52 AM

IMO; the perfect defense/duty gun would have to be lightweight, plenty of capacity, ambidextrous, disassemble & maintain easily, durable, versatile as possible and fit so well in one's hand that it felt like an extension of your hand.

gorknoids 08-27-2009 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderFire (Post 151408)
IMO; the perfect defense/duty gun would have to be lightweight, plenty of capacity, ambidextrous, disassemble & maintain easily, durable, versatile as possible and fit so well in one's hand that it felt like an extension of your hand.

So, you would design the Springfield Armory XD series.

UnderFire 08-27-2009 03:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorknoids (Post 151415)
So, you would design the Springfield Armory XD series.

NO, I don't think so.
I'm sure many gun mfg's try to fill that order such as, FNH, Heckler & Koch, Glock, etc,etc,etc, but how many really achieve it?

753X0 08-27-2009 03:09 AM

An auto similar to the HK USP series, ambi, can be carried DA/SA, as well as cocked and locked like the 1911, that could change calibers easily. I'd like to be able to switch from 9mm all the way 460 Rowland and calibers of my choosing in between, with a simple barrel, spring, mag change.

gorknoids 08-27-2009 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 753X0 (Post 151420)
An auto similar to the HK USP series, ambi, can be carried DA/SA, as well as cocked and locked like the 1911, that could change calibers easily. I'd like to be able to switch from 9mm all the way 460 Rowland and calibers of my choosing in between, with a simple barrel, spring, mag change.

I had an H/O for the Sig P 250, but you might as well buy 2 guns at the prices they want for the conversion kits.

dunerunner 08-27-2009 04:54 AM

semi-automatic, interchangable upper to fire any pistol ammo from .22 to .45, 8+1 magazine, NEVER MIND that's a 1911!!

WDB 08-30-2009 02:43 AM

DA semi auto with a 3" barrel that shoots like it has a 5" barrel. Light as a polly gun but with the feel of steel. Stopping power of a 45 with the mag capacity of a 9mm in a slim frame. Adjustable night sights with a intergrated light/laser combo that doesn't add bulk/size to the pistol. Ambi controls, Easy field strip and a holster that fits like butter.

Ubergopher 08-30-2009 02:59 AM

Mine would be a 1911 style gun only polymer based.

The magazine release would be ambi, and the slide release wouldn't be on the slide, it'd be a small button/lever on the inside of the trigger guard. You complete you rounds, slide locks to the rear, switch the mags and without adjusting your grip at all you just slide your trigger finger forward and down a bit and you're good to go.

Yunus 08-30-2009 03:35 AM

I've imagined what I'm sure you all will think is a retarded design but here goes.

Pistols have the barrel above your hand, this means that when the gun kicks it takes you off target because your hand flinches back in an upward motion. If however a gun were designed with the barrel at the center of the hand kick would drive your hand directly backwards with no change of angle, possibly allowing for more on target rapid fire. Of course a sight would have to be mounted several inches away from the barrel to be seen by the shooter. It could be mounted to the left/right of the barrel, then you would only need to compensate for a couple inches left/right at any distance vs a vertical compensation which would be more dependent on range.