Ideas on improving the STOCK 22/45 trigger.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ideas on improving the STOCK 22/45 trigger.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2014, 12:03 AM   #1
The only democracy and friend in the region
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1797 Times on 998 Posts
Likes Given: 5415

Default Ideas on improving the STOCK 22/45 trigger.

Everything I find seems to be upgrade, upgrade, upgrade.

Surely someone has figured out some fixes on the stock trigger.

The main problem seems to be "roll" with a bit of 'yaw' due to side slop.
I have ideas to correct the slop in 'pitch' (the pull).

I thought some thin teflon washers may reduce the side to side slop on the trigger to pin fit.

If an upgrade is the only way, I will need to seek donations

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-24-2014, 12:22 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

One thing you can do is remove the magazine safety. That cleans everything up.

As far as it yawing that's an slightly over size trigger pin hole in the trigger. If you shim it out its going to put a lot of pressure on the trigger making it feel stiffer and possibly cause reset issues.

As for the magazine safety you can use a cheap washer or order a mk2 hammer bushing. The bushing is the better way to go. The washer method has the same drawbacks as shimming the trigger.

The hammer bushing is 7.99 from volquartsen off brownells.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-24-2014, 02:47 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for the reply Jon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
One thing you can do is remove the magazine safety. That cleans everything up.
I have already installed Brian Marcy's BAM bushing. That helped with trigger feel. Makes it much more maintainable as well.

I selected this one because a review indicated that it might need to be frozen to reduce the size and get the desired interference fit. Mine didn't need it

http://bushing.webs.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
As far as it yawing that's an slightly over size trigger pin hole in the trigger. If you shim it out its going to put a lot of pressure on the trigger making it feel stiffer and possibly cause reset issues.
I would agree that the trigger pin hole is over sized. ?
I'll spend some time thinking of solutions. .

Maybe this is where I can spend a little money. .

I think that there is plenty of clearance to install the 'shim' without putting any side pressure on the trigger. I use nylon/teflon washers such as I described in many non-firearm applications.
A replacement trigger may not have the same end-to-end slop.

I picked up the 10150 with the threaded barrel and removable grips.
I like it very much, but want to address the trigger movement.

Old 01-24-2014, 03:42 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I don't think shimming will solve the issue in a good way. Might contact ruger since its likely the trigger is out of spec as mine is a stock trigger and doesn't do that. They might send ya a new one or ask to send it to them. Wobble might affect the sear in a dangerous way now that I think of it a bit.

If ruger wants the gun sent in put the original parts back in or they will charge you for replacing them.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-24-2014, 06:47 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'd rather buy the upgrade trigger from Vq, than ship it back and deal with all that

I'll use it for a while as is and see if it bothers me enough to do anything with it.

I examined the sear as I wiggled the trigger. I feel ok about that part of the action.

Email your representatives USE THIS LINK

KG7IL

Old 01-24-2014, 07:47 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

thats a good plan.

the vq trigger and later the sear are just awesome upgrades. and you dont have to buy them at the same time

KG7IL Likes This