ID 9mm - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > ID 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 05:04 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Hmm. This is not going as well as I had hoped. I came here hoping there were experts out there in the ether who could help me identify a weapon. I had hoped you would qualify as experts I could quote, instead of me calling a gun shop owner somewhere, which is how we used to do it back when we still had newspapers. You guys want to know about ... I don't know ... adjectives -- footnotes, metonymy, the unreliable narrator -- you come to my website and I'll hook you up.

A source in my story had a gun pointed at them. I gave you everything they told me, in their own words. This person is familiar enough with firearms to know it was a 9mm. It was a traumatic experience, but also a heightened one, and they did a pretty good job of memorizing its characteristics. I was, I believe, suitably deferential to the forum, and admitted my limitations upfront. I've filed three additional posts trying to clarify my previous ones. And you've told me virtually nothing about guns, specifically this gun, and everything about my failings as a writer -- if not the institution of writing itself.

Can anyone identify this handgun? Is there anything you can tell me about it, or someone who would use it? Can you send me to a better source? If not, maybe you shouldn't respond.

My thanks to the handful of people who came to my defense. The rest of you, I'm going to try not to take it personally.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:20 PM   #22

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Good night. This guy is coming to you looking for your expertise and you're acting like a bunch of a-holes.

If you want to know why much of the public has a bad impression of firearms and their radical owners, start by looking in the mirror.
Yep, nothing but a bunch of radicals here. Clinging to thier guns and Bibles.

fresnobob,

As a fellow writer, I was trying to give a bit of advice based on what I know. You answered my question as to where the description originated. There are more than plenty of experts here on firearms. It is very rare for someone to ask "what is this gun?" and not get a definitive answer. Those are in cases where someone can post a pic, describe markings (stampings) or even be able to mention a manufacturer. It is nearly impossible to match a firearm to the description you have been given.

freefall had a great idea. Get a copy of Gun Digest and have your subject go through the pages and point out one that most closely resembles the one remembered. Keep in mind that there are many customized guns out there where the gold or porting may have been a modification.

Another thing that may have put off some guys is in the wording you were given. Stocks are more related to long guns, not pistols that have a grip. If your subject was able to recognize right away that it was a 9mm, then they should be able to tell you the difference between a stock and a grip. Truth is that one of the most common questions asked in gun stores is, "what caliber is that?" It is much tougher to recognize the exact caliber of a firearm on sight than most anything else.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #23

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Learn your subject before you write bout it. Unless you are writing for fat thumb, mush head gamers.
I find this second post on a subject I provided an experienced take on your OP as; 1. more waste of my precious time, or 2. clarification of my work product.

Clarification points
I am a Navy Submarine Vet. My wife hates to go to submarine movies or watch TV shows involving this subject. I am extremely critical of any technical faux pas found in every show I have witnessed. Even the work of Tom Clancy, who get's it correct far better than most. (With respect to submarines. As to drug lord interdiction in Colombia, you'll need to talk to Jack.)

I am not a handgun expert, (nor an expert on anything else) but I do pay attention as the day goes by. I have observed, and shot my share of weapons (including a Polaris missile) during my 63+ orbits around our sun. No, I do not have an eidetic memory, but when it comes to guns I am curious.

Applying your criteria, "It was a 9mm, with the clip that fit into the stock. It was all silver but it had a stripe along the barrel that was gold. It had little openings -- little rectangles along the barrel -- that were open. Like five of them. Almost like little dashes." Can anyone identify this weapon? to my experiences I came up blank. I did my due diligence to assist you with some samples to look at.
If this effort offended you, I'm sorry, for you.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #24
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2096 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yep, nothing but a bunch of radicals here. Clinging to thier guns and Bibles.

What? Should I have put the little eye-roll smilie next to the comment. C'mon, I am one of those guns and Bibles guys. But I'm stunned at how snarky some folks are on here just because a novice ask for some help.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:19 PM   #25

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
What? Should I have put the little eye-roll smilie next to the comment. C'mon, I am one of those guns and Bibles guys. But I'm stunned at how snarky some folks are on here just because a novice ask for some help.
Scott, you will need to spend a lot more time than one month on this forum to grow tired of all the adolescent gamers trolling for some 'kool' gun quote or technical point usable back on their Halo 3 gamer board.

I'm comfortable in culling the heard of said trolls. If the OP has conviction in the search for information, they will hang in there until its achieved.

And no, this is not a form of hazing. It's a qualification required to verify the recipient understands the gravity of the serious nature of our subject matter.

I speak for myself, and should you take issue with this, I would be glad to discuss it with you (or anyone) in PM.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #26
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2096 Times on 1138 Posts
Likes Given: 755

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Scott, you will need to spend a lot more time than one month on this forum to grow tired of all the adolescent gamers trolling for some 'kool' gun quote or technical point usable back on their Halo 3 gamer board.
Point taken.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

fresnobob,

The main reason I asked about how you could be certain that it was a 9mm is that it's my understanding that when people have a gun pointed at them, they often perceive the barrel to be larger than it actually is. If I'm in error, there are plenty of current/retired/former LEOs on this board who will be along to correct me shortly.

The rest of the description reminded me more of some .22 pistols than any 9mm I've seen (though my experience is far from exhaustive).

A gold line down the barrel could easily have been added by the owner, so I'm afraid that isn't much of a clue.

Openings in the barrel sound like exhaust ports for some kind of compensator (make your own joke — my wife says the whole thing is a compensator ).

I think Gun Digest may be your best bet. It's kind of like the cop shows/movies. You can give a description, but it's better if you look in the mug book.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 05-18-2010, 09:07 PM   #28
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

I like the idea of a Finnish M31. Fits the description. Sorry, I am of no help.

f1m31c.jpg  

Old 05-18-2010, 09:36 PM   #29

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I like the idea of a Finnish M31. Fits the description. Sorry, I am of no help.
LMFAO! You could have at least used a straight edge for the mouse when adding the gold stripe.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 PM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
LMFAO! You could have at least used a straight edge for the mouse when adding the gold stripe.
That is a custom job, I didn't do it.