ID 9mm - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > ID 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2010, 04:27 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

What book is it in Bob?

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-18-2010, 04:37 AM   #12

In a book I'm writing.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #13

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Check out Gun Digest and I think it's called"Jaynes Small Arms of the World".

Old 05-18-2010, 05:35 AM   #14

Liked 1422 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Another is writers who know too much about guns and spend paragraphs retailing the wonders of the Detonics Combat Master and have no substance to the story. -grumpy old fart
Hey grumpy, what's wrong with a Detonics Combat Master?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fresnobob View Post
This is a nonfiction book. The gun described was leveled at the person describing it, although they're not overly familiar with firearms. Most of the confusion in the thread comes from me, since I don't know guns at all. They called it a clip, but they could mean magazine -- I don't know the difference. The gun was silver-colored, with a gold-colored stripe down the side. I was hoping the indentations would make it readily identifiable to people who knew more about the subject than I do. Thanks.

Quote:
In a book I'm writing.
Oh..........................

Well here are some 9mm, some silver, and some gold stripe guns. But no 9mm silver guns with a gold stripe.

Learn your subject before you write bout it. Unless you are writing for fat thumb, mush head gamers.

c_hill2.jpg   golden-pistol.thumbnail.jpg   platemaster2007.jpg   bwe005bbmain.jpg   real-pink-neos-2008.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-18-2010, 05:43 AM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
What kind of crap are you reading? One of my pet peeves is writers who add firearm detail and get it wrong. Another is writers who know too much about guns and spend paragraphs retailing the wonders of the Detonics Combat Master and have no substance to the story. -grumpy old fart
Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Learn your subject before you write bout it. Unless you are writing for fat thumb, mush head gamers.
Yikes. You've evidently woken the dragons, Bob. This sounds like it may be a description given by a third party, no? Is this a true-crime book? If it is a third party description, I'd recommend getting your guy to log on and have a Q/A session. No matter what gun he's talking about, if it's real, SOMEONE here will identify it. They're that good.
And keep us posted on your book! I read voraciously, and sometimes I even read stuff I don't have to!

"Always carry a small flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite. Furthermore, always carry a small snake." W.C. Fields

Last edited by TheDaggle; 05-18-2010 at 06:12 AM. Reason: anglesh is mi sekund langwidge

Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 AM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
In a book I'm writing.
A non-fiction book you are writing? Really? So, the gun was leveled at you? If not, then how do you know it is non-fiction?

Please, learn the verification and proving process of non-fiction versus fiction. There are many custom made guns out there, but without any kind of real proof, it is fiction. For non-fiction, stay away from over descriptions and stick to facts. Too many writers these days take too much license in descriptive narratives that turns true fact into embellished fiction. If the person does not know the make, model and caliber of gun "raised" at them, then leave it at that. Otherwise, find the actual gun raised at them; not what it may have been. I mean the acutal gun, not "could have been" like that one there. Heck, better yet, find the person who raised the gun at your mysterious person and ask them.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #17
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2235 Times on 1207 Posts
Likes Given: 806

Good night. This guy is coming to you looking for your expertise and you're acting like a bunch of a-holes.

If you want to know why much of the public has a bad impression of firearms and their radical owners, start by looking in the mirror.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:56 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

He may well be a writer with limited firearms knowlege. He may be a 14 year old dumb a$$ kid (or both).

IF he is a legitimate writer and it is a true crime type book he is just quoting someone else who actually saw the gun. If the gun was never recovered, it would be difficult to determine what it was. If this story is autobigraphical, the writer has limited firearms knowlege and needs to be nurtured, not berated.

If he is a dumb a$$ 14 year old kid....Berate away gentlemen.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #19
Is it Friday yet?
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Scott, I know these guys and they are not being a-holes. It may come across that way some times, but really, they aren't.

At first I was thinking along the lines Skully was. Let’s look at this. First Bob asked a simple question (Bob said he was a writer and asked “what kind of gun is this?”). Then he mentioned that it was in a non-fiction book and the person describing it had it pointed at them (my impression was the book was one he was reading). Next when asked who wrote the book he said that he was (???). So Skully says what my first thought was (you had the gun pointed at you?)

Now; I understand that what Bob has is a “statement” from someone that he using for the non-fiction book he is writing. Now we have a much clearer picture.

Skully is still right though, in that if you aren’t for sure what gun it is, don’t make something up. Too much of the time we see some fancy way cool fantasy gun in movies and it gets taken as something real. This is going to be a non-fiction (or factual) book and should not deviate from that. I do however understand Bob’s need to be as descriptive as possible. He’s a writer, that’s his job.

Bob, we are here to help. Find out more info on the gun if you can. I’m sure looking at some of the responses to your post you have a few more questions to take back to your source. Any additional information you can bring back here will only help us nail down what it is that you are looking for.

BTW: Bob, I didn’t mean to talk about you like you weren’t standing right here.

How's that for a mirror?

Old 05-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

fresnobob,

How do you know it was a 9mm?

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs