I would like handgun purchasing advice please
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I would like handgun purchasing advice please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I would like handgun purchasing advice please

Hello everyone. I am in the market for my first handgun which I hope I can get soon. The main purpose is EDC and concealed carry. I have my CHP and a beginners pistol NRA class. I am looking for quality on a tight budget. I realize you get what you pay for, but at the same time a Sig Sauer or Kimber is way over budget. I would like to stay $500 or less is I can, but in this messed up market right now I am not sure that can be done. I am open to revolver and semi auto. A concern I have with the snubby revolver is they are harder to shoot well and the sights are poor. A concern I have with a semi auto would be about FTF and FTE issues should you ever have to use the firearm to protect your life.
I would like to find value for the money and bang for the buck. I want something that will last and I do not care about brand name or showing off my pretty gun. I view a gun as a tool. It is somewhat like insurance, you hope you never have to use it but are glad you have it should you ever need to. My goal is to practice 1-4 times a month as ammo becomes available and "hobby money" is set aside. Thanks for the help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-17-2013, 01:13 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 573 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 177

Get a revolver for your first gun. Snubbies can be harder to learn to shoot, but that can be taken care of with lots of dry fire practice and time at the range. good luck.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 03-17-2013, 01:28 AM   #3

Liked 136 Times on 118 Posts

I always tell people safety safety safety sounds like you've already learned that so your just gonna have to go hold them and shoot them and see what you like. I always recommend ruger sr series for hand guns I love em. Stay safe and practice makes perfect!

"You can all go to Hell and I will go to Texas"

Old 03-17-2013, 01:47 AM   #4
PGM
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 40 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

You are asking a tough question.For a beginner a wheelgun is safer and easier to clean and deal with on a daily basis.Some semi owners who really understand and respect their firearms wont leave clips loaded and rounds chambered just for the sake of springs and possibly safety.And some compact autos require strength that some lack.I have all types but for home or carry i rely on a revolver with fresh ammo.Some small to medium frame 357s are best because of its use of a more controllable 38 special round.

Old 03-17-2013, 01:59 AM   #5
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

There's no 'best' gun or answer for you. You really need to hold and preferable shoot what you intend to buy and use, especially for your first gun.

Do you have a range near you where you can try different makes and models? Theres different trigger types, safeties, etc. You didn't mention caliber, and you'll get a lot of opinions, but 9mm is the best bang for the buck, especially if you intend to go and shoot often.

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-17-2013, 02:01 AM   #6

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts

So many will tell you to get a revolver. Many will tell you to get a semi-auto. I think before you can answer this question, you have to make yourself a list of pros and cons on both.
1. Capacity
2. Ease of use
3. Comfort
4. Concealability
5. Reliability
6. Easy to clean

Etc
Etc

Once you decide what you really are looking for, then ask the question again.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 AM   #7

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

500.00 for a gun is actually pretty easy to find depending on caliber...

Old 03-17-2013, 03:06 AM   #8

Liked 39 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetobefree View Post
500.00 for a gun is actually pretty easy to find depending on caliber...
$500 might be a little trouble for a good quality .357, there's been a lot of talk about revolvers. Then there are important accessories like one or more holsters, a speed loader or two and a couple boxes of ammo, then a couple more boxes of ammo.

Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5991 Times on 3133 Posts
Likes Given: 428

when someone says hey have X$ for a budget i immediately think why not save up a bit longer or look at used guns.

one thing i find kinda odd is going all penny pinchy on something the purpose of is to save your life in an armed conflict.

my advice is save up till you can get the firearm you want.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

KJG67 Likes This 
Old 03-17-2013, 05:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
when someone says hey have X$ for a budget i immediately think why not save up a bit longer or look at used guns.

one thing i find kinda odd is going all penny pinchy on something the purpose of is to save your life in an armed conflict.

my advice is save up till you can get the firearm you want.
I am not sure I agree with the "spend more to save your life" idea. The reason for that is a Ford will still get you where you want to go, you do not need a Lexus. Craftsman tools will help you work on your car, Snap-On is not needed. There has got to be quality "bang for the buck" firearms out there. Not everyone can afford a $1200 compact 1911. I do not mind a used gun at all.