I want a Mark III.....
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I want a Mark III.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7012 Times on 4219 Posts
Likes Given: 8449

Default I want a Mark III.....

I got a bonus at work and want to spend it on a new gun. I want a Mark III. Of course, the exact one I want is at the higher end of the price range. Does it make any sense to pay more just because I want it? I'm sure the Target model would fill the bill for just plinking and target shooting, which is probably all I'll do with it. But I want the looks of the stainless steel Hunter model, the one with the fluted barrel. Any advice you can give me would help me decide. Also, can I put a scope on the shorter barreled pistol? I absolutely don't like the look of the tapered barrel. Would maybe be content with a Target model. I just don't know.

Ruger® Mark III™ Hunter Rimfire Pistol Models

I want the shorter barreled Hunter Model.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

This one looks pretty good too and for less money: RUGER TALO MKIII 22LR 10125 $494.00 SHIPS FREE

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-07-2011, 10:20 PM   #3
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

There you go. PERFECT! Why isn't that gun listed on the Ruger website? That's the look I want at a price I can afford. WOOT!!

See? You guys know more than I do. Keep the suggestions coming.

I see I have a lot more research to do before I go out and buy one, huh?

Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 PM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I understand the .22lr, the bull barrel and the comfort.

Why the controls on the Mark III?

If you wanted to build an Amphibian, it makes perfect sense, but I know that's not the case here.

So, why the Ruger?

Have you looked at the Browning Buckmark?

All the controls of any basic semi auto on the market, plus all the benefits of the Ruger.

Just a thought, Lady Winds.

JD

Old 07-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1136 Times on 740 Posts
Likes Given: 658

ive been a ruger fan all the way because its the 22 i grew up with. however i have to aggree that after holding the browning with the nice grip .. and at 370. even tho its not as pretty. its shoots great and isnt ugly by any means.. just not as shiny. i think i will be getting a browning even tho the ruger is sexy. after all. it only has to throw lead down range reliably.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #6
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I understand the .22lr, the bull barrel and the comfort.

Why the controls on the Mark III?

If you wanted to build an Amphibian, it makes perfect sense, but I know that's not the case here.

So, why the Ruger?

Have you looked at the Browning Buckmark?

All the controls of any basic semi auto on the market, plus all the benefits of the Ruger.

Just a thought, Lady Winds.

JD
Well, because I've shot and fell in love with Bear's Ruger Mark II. Most everyone I've asked suggested the Ruger over the Browning. But I've never shot a Buckmark so I just don't know. Now, here I am back at square one.
I just don't know what to do.

Please keep the suggestions coming. But I think I want to stick with the Mark II.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3478 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

The Ruger is a quintessential .22lr target pistol. Well built, well thought of by everyone and very adaptable. It's a great piece.

A great piece that comes with a name you are paying for and an aftermarket for members of a small community that are chasing the ultimate bragging rights "suppressed" pistol.

You have great taste, and it won't steer you wrong.

However the mag release, charging of the slide and the slide lock back are all unique to the specific pistol. So learning it backwards, forwards, inside and out doesn't prepare you in 90% of the ways all modern semi auto pistols operate.

So for a training aid? I'd vote no.

For great plinking weapon that will always hold it's value, be fun to shoot, no matter what or who is about, I love them.

Just merely a question as to your future plans for your training based on usage,not a judgement.

We had a Mark II for 20 years in our house growing up. My sister still has it in her house today.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:56 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5501 Times on 2872 Posts
Likes Given: 357

ive got a ruger mk2 target model stainless sladside with 5 mags, black aluminum grips, case, drilled tapped for scope, scope mount, and original target molded wood grips right hand shelf.

yours for 250$

its looking for a good home as i bought a mk3 22/45 threaded one

plus you can even try it before you buy if you want.

not my particular gun as mine is in better condition and has volquartsen target trigger/sear just ripped a sample pic off google

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-08-2011 at 12:01 AM.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:07 AM   #9
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
ive got a ruger mk2 target model stainless sladside with 5 mags, black aluminum grips, case, drilled tapped for scope, scope mount, and original target molded wood grips right hand shelf.

yours for 250$

its looking for a good home as i bought a mk3 22/45 threaded one

plus you can even try it before you buy if you want.

not my particular gun as mine is in better condition and has volquartsen target trigger/sear just ripped a sample pic off google

Hmm....tempting offer, indeed. I think that's exactly what Bear has. Let me think.......

Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 AM   #10

Liked 1087 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 340

Have you shot the Mark III before? If so, try one for a while. I get gas blowback from them and have been hit in the eye more than once while shooting them. It burns. That said, they are very reliable and most people don't seem to have the issue and if you use glasses like I should, you would have no issues.

Oh and if you don't buy that one from JonM, I might just because that's an awesome deal for that gun.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson