Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   I want a Mark III..... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/i-want-mark-iii-44873/)

winds-of-change 07-07-2011 09:58 PM

I want a Mark III.....

I got a bonus at work and want to spend it on a new gun. I want a Mark III. Of course, the exact one I want is at the higher end of the price range. Does it make any sense to pay more just because I want it? I'm sure the Target model would fill the bill for just plinking and target shooting, which is probably all I'll do with it. But I want the looks of the stainless steel Hunter model, the one with the fluted barrel. Any advice you can give me would help me decide. Also, can I put a scope on the shorter barreled pistol? I absolutely don't like the look of the tapered barrel. Would maybe be content with a Target model. I just don't know.

Ruger® Mark III™ Hunter Rimfire Pistol Models

I want the shorter barreled Hunter Model.

CA357 07-07-2011 10:16 PM

This one looks pretty good too and for less money: RUGER TALO MKIII 22LR 10125 $494.00 SHIPS FREE

winds-of-change 07-07-2011 10:20 PM

There you go. PERFECT! Why isn't that gun listed on the Ruger website? That's the look I want at a price I can afford. WOOT!!

See? You guys know more than I do. Keep the suggestions coming.

I see I have a lot more research to do before I go out and buy one, huh? :o

Dillinger 07-07-2011 10:31 PM

I understand the .22lr, the bull barrel and the comfort.

Why the controls on the Mark III?

If you wanted to build an Amphibian, it makes perfect sense, but I know that's not the case here. ;)

So, why the Ruger?

Have you looked at the Browning Buckmark?

All the controls of any basic semi auto on the market, plus all the benefits of the Ruger.

Just a thought, Lady Winds.

JD

jjfuller1 07-07-2011 10:36 PM

ive been a ruger fan all the way because its the 22 i grew up with. however i have to aggree that after holding the browning with the nice grip .. and at 370. even tho its not as pretty. its shoots great and isnt ugly by any means.. just not as shiny. i think i will be getting a browning even tho the ruger is sexy. after all. it only has to throw lead down range reliably.

winds-of-change 07-07-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 536602)
I understand the .22lr, the bull barrel and the comfort.

Why the controls on the Mark III?

If you wanted to build an Amphibian, it makes perfect sense, but I know that's not the case here. ;)

So, why the Ruger?

Have you looked at the Browning Buckmark?

All the controls of any basic semi auto on the market, plus all the benefits of the Ruger.

Just a thought, Lady Winds.

JD

Well, because I've shot and fell in love with Bear's Ruger Mark II. Most everyone I've asked suggested the Ruger over the Browning. But I've never shot a Buckmark so I just don't know. Now, here I am back at square one. :(
I just don't know what to do.

Please keep the suggestions coming. But I think I want to stick with the Mark II.

Dillinger 07-07-2011 11:43 PM

The Ruger is a quintessential .22lr target pistol. Well built, well thought of by everyone and very adaptable. It's a great piece.

A great piece that comes with a name you are paying for and an aftermarket for members of a small community that are chasing the ultimate bragging rights "suppressed" pistol.

You have great taste, and it won't steer you wrong.

However the mag release, charging of the slide and the slide lock back are all unique to the specific pistol. So learning it backwards, forwards, inside and out doesn't prepare you in 90% of the ways all modern semi auto pistols operate.

So for a training aid? I'd vote no.

For great plinking weapon that will always hold it's value, be fun to shoot, no matter what or who is about, I love them.

Just merely a question as to your future plans for your training based on usage,not a judgement.

We had a Mark II for 20 years in our house growing up. My sister still has it in her house today. :)

JonM 07-07-2011 11:56 PM

ive got a ruger mk2 target model stainless sladside with 5 mags, black aluminum grips, case, drilled tapped for scope, scope mount, and original target molded wood grips right hand shelf.

yours for 250$

its looking for a good home as i bought a mk3 22/45 threaded one

plus you can even try it before you buy if you want.

not my particular gun as mine is in better condition and has volquartsen target trigger/sear just ripped a sample pic off google

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/IMG_0976.jpg

winds-of-change 07-08-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 536660)
ive got a ruger mk2 target model stainless sladside with 5 mags, black aluminum grips, case, drilled tapped for scope, scope mount, and original target molded wood grips right hand shelf.

yours for 250$

its looking for a good home as i bought a mk3 22/45 threaded one

plus you can even try it before you buy if you want.

not my particular gun as mine is in better condition and has volquartsen target trigger/sear just ripped a sample pic off google

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...e/IMG_0976.jpg

Hmm....tempting offer, indeed. I think that's exactly what Bear has. Let me think.......

Yunus 07-08-2011 12:10 AM

Have you shot the Mark III before? If so, try one for a while. I get gas blowback from them and have been hit in the eye more than once while shooting them. It burns. That said, they are very reliable and most people don't seem to have the issue and if you use glasses like I should, you would have no issues.

Oh and if you don't buy that one from JonM, I might just because that's an awesome deal for that gun.