Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I want a good reliable pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Ruger GP 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
Not by cost alone, but that does go into play.
If the gun is incredibly good and really reliable, then I will more than likely buy it.
A DA is what I want. I'll stick with a .357 magnum
A GP100 in .357 Magnum with a 4.2 inch barrel was the first firearm my wife and I bought together, for home defense. DA. Built like a bank vault. Reliable. Just the right weight for the caliber. They now come with Hogue grips. (I put a set of Hogues on my SP101.)

Old 04-08-2010, 12:56 AM   #32

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Default S & W time proven

I would suggest a Smith & Wesson Model 19 also called the Combat Magnum with a 4 inch barrel. The model 19, .357 magnum is available in either blue or nickel finish. The Model 66 is the same gun in stainless. This was the sidearm of choice for the Texas Highway Patrol (Department of Public Safety) for many years before automatics became popular due to high capacity. I have owned one for over 30 years and it has always been my favorite revolver. If a .357 won't stop it you need to be looking for a back door.

Old 04-08-2010, 02:54 AM   #33

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

4" stainless GP100

Like this.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:26 AM   #34

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

If I am ever so unfortunate as to need a handgun for serious social work, I hope I'm carrying my 4" Ruger Security Six. A little lighter than a GP 100, more shootable than an SP, stouter than a Smith, and the factory grips feel GOOD in my hand. Look for police trade-ins. I forget the name of the shop, someplace in MO has a ton of them on their website. Help us out here guys.

Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #35

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
Ruger revolver, SP101 if you need to conceal it, GP100 if you don't.

IMO thats the best answer you can get...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
If I am ever so unfortunate as to need a handgun for serious social work, I hope I'm carrying my 4" Ruger Security Six. A little lighter than a GP 100, more shootable than an SP, stouter than a Smith, and the factory grips feel GOOD in my hand. Look for police trade-ins. I forget the name of the shop, someplace in MO has a ton of them on their website. Help us out here guys.
Shootability is key to confidence. I applaud your choice for your hand. [No, that was not the question about the sound of one hand clapping....]

Old 04-12-2010, 07:53 AM   #37

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would check out the pawn shops in your area for nice used revolvers. Price should be less than at most gun stores. If you find a S+W try the L frames they handle a steady diet of mags no problem, you will be happy with any of the Ruger offerings they last forever. If your are lucky you may find a nice Colt Trooper in your price range.

Old 04-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #38

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

In all honesty, based on decades of Colt, S&W and Ruger with some Taurus and Rossi and Llama experiences mixed in there, for a gun that will always be ready, is ridiculously easy to maintain and way more reliable than the best car you have ever owned, get a Ruger 357.

Either a new GP-100 or a used Security/Service-Six version or anything in between. I strongly recommend the stainless variants because of the long term ease of maintenance. There are plenty of used and new Rugers of the aforementioned type on gunbroker. Pick one. Call a nearby dealer to ensure he will handle the transfer for you if you buy it online, then go back to gunbroker and buy the one you want at the best possible price.. You probably already know this but a stainless Ruger can be kept loaded in a gun safe for a very, very, long time instantly ready to go with no significant maintenance issues beyond remembering it is loaded.

Last edited by superc; 04-17-2010 at 04:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 04-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #39

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've had excellent results with S&W / Colts & Ruger's.

All 3 are top notch guns.

Old 04-19-2010, 05:26 AM   #40

Get a Sig in your caliber of choice, an HK P30 or an expert for reliability and accuracy both brands are king. Nothing better period. The new stoeger cougars are fine as well, and really accurate.