I want a good reliable pistol
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I want a good reliable pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 06:07 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I want a good reliable pistol

I want a good reliable pistol that is affordable (none of these 1,000$ guns please). I would like it to be around 500$ and shoots a .357 magnum.
The weapon will be for possible personal defense in the future... not concealed.
Other then that it will be for target practice.
I want a revolver that is reliable. I plan on getting an AK-47, so that should give you an insight to how reliable I want my revolver.

What are some of y'alls suggestions?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Last edited by saviorslegacy; 03-02-2010 at 06:47 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-02-2010, 06:16 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ruger revolver, SP101 if you need to conceal it, GP100 if you don't.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #3

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

The best advice I can give is to:

a. go to your local shop and browse

b. go to Bud's Gun Shop online and browse

Every person here has their favorites and your criteria is so wide open it's hard to offer any suggestions. Once you narrow it down - then ask for experienced opinions...

Old 03-02-2010, 06:18 PM   #4

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Need a bit more info.

What is it for would be good?

For hunting

Smith or ruger in 357 mag or 45lc

For PD/HD I would go with an auro in 45acp like the XD or smith sigma. both great pistols and wont kill the budget either.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:26 PM   #5

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Oh, and revolvers in 9mm or .45 ACP are scarce and pricey...

Old 03-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #6

Are you looking for a single action or double action? Rugers make good reliable single actions. You shouldn't have any problem getting one for 500. Double actions tend to be more expensive. I don't know of too many reliable DA revolvers under $500, but you should be able to get a used S&W revolver or a ruger for that price range. You may find new ruger sp101 for about 500 maybe a little more if your willing. These are good reliable guns, not quite as fine tuned as S&W but very reliable. You should also be able to find a used S&W 686 for this price range as well. Good overall gun. As for the caliber I would stick with a 357 it is an all round good cartridge and you can shoot 38 out of them. Not sure about the 9mm. I believe you can get an extra cylinder for a Ruger Black Hawk that shoots a 9mm, but I would stay with the 357 it has much more punch. Ruger Black Hawk is a single action as well. 45 colts is great round but very expensive. I don' know any 45ACP revolvers that doesn't command a 1000 price tag either.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
I want a good reliable pistol that is affordable (none of these 1,000$ guns please). I would like it to be around 500$ and shoots either 45, 9mm or .357 magnum.
I personally like revolvers.

What are some of y'alls suggestions?
You need to get the feel for some. Not sure about ranges near you, but if you can find one that rents guns out, do that and try some different ones. The biggest selection I know if in the area is at Ohio Valley Trading Co in Nelsonville. Their prices are not bad and they have some helpful employees.

Biggest thing to remember is that you need to be 21 to purchase a pistol.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 03-02-2010, 06:33 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The weapon will be for possible personal defense in the future... not concealed.
Other then that it will be for target practice.

I want a revolver that is reliable. I plan on getting an AK-47, so that should give you an insight to how reliable I want my revolver.

:EDIT:
@Skullcrusher
I have not shot a revolver much, but I do like em. My father is friends with a dude named Ken Davis (he does a lot with guns so maybe some of you have heard of him). They have shot together in the past and I was there shooting too. I have shot at multiple ranges and we shoot out at our property. The first gun I ever fired was a 9mm. I was 5 years old then.
The hardest challenge that we done was cutting a playing card in half by turning it on its edge. It took me 4 shots with a 22 rifle at 30 feet. I taped it up and stuck it in my wallet as a trophy.

@gadrooning
A DA is what I want. I'll stick with a .357 magnum.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

Last edited by saviorslegacy; 03-02-2010 at 06:44 PM.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 PM   #9

Like skull has stated it is a good idea to test out and hold as many guns as you can. Also it has been in my experience if you find the gun you want first, be patient, save your pennies, and purchase it. You will be one happy camper. If you are making gun purchase decisions by cost alone you are more likely to be dissapointed and regretful.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 03-02-2010, 06:46 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
Like skull has stated it is a good idea to test out and hold as many guns as you can. Also it has been in my experience if you find the gun you want first, be patient, save your pennies, and purchase it. You will be one happy camper. If you are making gun purchase decisions by cost alone you are more likely to be dissapointed and regretful.
Not by cost alone, but that does go into play.
If the gun is incredibly good and really reliable, then I will more than likely buy it.
A DA is what I want. I'll stick with a .357 magnum