Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I was planning on getting an H&K USP .45. Your thoughts on this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 01:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default I was planning on getting an H&K USP .45. Your thoughts on this?

For my first handgun I was planning on getting an H&K USP .45. Your thoughts on this? Is it a good gun? Should I get it new or used? Is the ammo too expensive? Any trouble or something specific to the gun I need to know about?

Last edited by canebrake; 09-17-2010 at 03:25 AM. Reason: TTTP

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2010, 01:56 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

First thing all ammo is expensive. .45ACP is about twice that of 9mm. As far as the HK it is a well made firearm. If it fits you hand and it is accurate get it. Your going the get 100's of different opinions on what to buy. Bottom line is get what works for you.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 09-17-2010, 02:45 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1905 Times on 1042 Posts
Likes Given: 692

H&K makes great stuff. If you have a specific need for the .45, like back-country gun, then go for it.

If you are planning on this gun being a very well used range gun, then .45 may be expensive. Most economical round will always be .22lr. Most economical defense round will be the 9mm.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 09-17-2010, 02:46 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Might want to start a little smaller.

I would say get a Ruger MkIII or Browning Buckmark or Beretta Neos or Smith 21A and get a handle on the basics of pistol shooting with one of them.

Many will say of the 22lr is a sissy round. I say it is great to learn on. You can devlope your basic pistol marksmanship skills and have fun all at the same time.

Then you can step up to the bigger guys.

I have a 1911, Ruger MkII, and a Beretta Neos guess which one is shot the most?

Not my 1911 my Ruger and Beretta are shot the most with the Beretta getting the not ans my most shot pistol.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 AM   #5

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I am already a more than adequate shot with all types of guns, handguns included, so I'm not really looking for a training gun. I'm not really sure what I want a gun for...it would get range use, but I would probably also carry it when going hiking or into someplace that I may need a self defense weapon, but I want something big enough to take out something like a cougar, in case I ever walk into a killing zone unarmed again.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm 16, so I'm not really sure what the laws say I can carry or even own.

Old 09-17-2010, 03:24 AM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post
I am already a more than adequate shot with all types of guns, handguns included, so I'm not really looking for a training gun. I'm not really sure what I want a gun for...it would get range use, but I would probably also carry it when going hiking or into someplace that I may need a self defense weapon, but I want something big enough to take out something like a cougar, in case I ever walk into a killing zone unarmed again.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm 16, so I'm not really sure what the laws say I can carry or even own.
Then I assume you're picking out your father's next gun.

I'd feel comfortable carrying 9mm in cougar country. I'd feel more comfortable carrying .40.

I don't have a problem with a .45 as a first pistol, but I can pretty well guarantee you that a .22 will be one of your first 2 or 3 pistols. Everybody has to have a at least one .22 pistol. There always comes a point where you realize your more interested in more holes in paper than the size of holes in the paper.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato

Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 09-17-2010 at 12:24 PM.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:54 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

Wisconsin, lived there, moved out.
Check the laws. Underage and unsupervised with a handgun could create problems if caught. Before carrying, check with DNR and the state statutues.

I am not trying to provide legal advise. I think you should be more aware of the situation you can unknowingly get in to.

Cougars in Wisconsin? If you plan on hunting out of state, check their laws, too.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC

Old 09-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ploofy View Post

First you say nothing to your shooting skills other than I AM LOOKING FOR MY FIRST GUN. When people start talking about a first gun they are normally new to guns all together. You then get pissy because we say 22lr but you don't say in your OP that you have been shooting for 1 day of 10 years. At 16 I was shooting 44mags and 357 mags.

OK You are not sure what you want it for. Your 16 and can't legally own or carry a pistol but your going to carry anyways.
You want a pistol big enough to take out a cougar if you walk into the killing field UNARMED. Can someone tell me the size of a pistol that will kill a cougar if you are UNARMED. I am assuming that you mean not carrying a pistol and not unarmed as in had both your arms cut off.

OH man Let your dad pick out the guns.

Last edited by cpttango30; 09-17-2010 at 11:19 AM.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You then get pissy because we say 22lr but you don't say in your OP that you have been shooting for 1 day of 10 years.

There was nothing in his response to indicate he was getting pissy.

Scott

Quote:
Quote:

Join the NRA

Old 09-17-2010, 12:21 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2277 Times on 1362 Posts
Likes Given: 1062

I found this:
Wisconsin wildlife officials pursue mountain lion | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC