Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   I was planning on getting an H&K USP .45. Your thoughts on this? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/i-planning-getting-h-k-usp-45-your-thoughts-31833/)

Ploofy 09-17-2010 01:47 AM

I was planning on getting an H&K USP .45. Your thoughts on this?

For my first handgun I was planning on getting an H&K USP .45. Your thoughts on this? Is it a good gun? Should I get it new or used? Is the ammo too expensive? Any trouble or something specific to the gun I need to know about?

007BondJamesBond007 09-17-2010 01:56 AM

First thing all ammo is expensive. .45ACP is about twice that of 9mm. As far as the HK it is a well made firearm. If it fits you hand and it is accurate get it. Your going the get 100's of different opinions on what to buy. Bottom line is get what works for you.

ScottA 09-17-2010 02:45 AM

H&K makes great stuff. If you have a specific need for the .45, like back-country gun, then go for it.

If you are planning on this gun being a very well used range gun, then .45 may be expensive. Most economical round will always be .22lr. Most economical defense round will be the 9mm.

cpttango30 09-17-2010 02:46 AM

Might want to start a little smaller.

I would say get a Ruger MkIII or Browning Buckmark or Beretta Neos or Smith 21A and get a handle on the basics of pistol shooting with one of them.

Many will say of the 22lr is a sissy round. I say it is great to learn on. You can devlope your basic pistol marksmanship skills and have fun all at the same time.

Then you can step up to the bigger guys.

I have a 1911, Ruger MkII, and a Beretta Neos guess which one is shot the most?

Not my 1911 my Ruger and Beretta are shot the most with the Beretta getting the not ans my most shot pistol.

Ploofy 09-17-2010 02:49 AM

I am already a more than adequate shot with all types of guns, handguns included, so I'm not really looking for a training gun. I'm not really sure what I want a gun for...it would get range use, but I would probably also carry it when going hiking or into someplace that I may need a self defense weapon, but I want something big enough to take out something like a cougar, in case I ever walk into a killing zone unarmed again.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm 16, so I'm not really sure what the laws say I can carry or even own.

ScottA 09-17-2010 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploofy (Post 351980)
I am already a more than adequate shot with all types of guns, handguns included, so I'm not really looking for a training gun. I'm not really sure what I want a gun for...it would get range use, but I would probably also carry it when going hiking or into someplace that I may need a self defense weapon, but I want something big enough to take out something like a cougar, in case I ever walk into a killing zone unarmed again.

EDIT: Oh, and I'm 16, so I'm not really sure what the laws say I can carry or even own.

Then I assume you're picking out your father's next gun.

I'd feel comfortable carrying 9mm in cougar country. I'd feel more comfortable carrying .40.

I don't have a problem with a .45 as a first pistol, but I can pretty well guarantee you that a .22 will be one of your first 2 or 3 pistols. Everybody has to have a at least one .22 pistol. There always comes a point where you realize your more interested in more holes in paper than the size of holes in the paper.

danf_fl 09-17-2010 06:54 AM

Wisconsin, lived there, moved out.
Check the laws. Underage and unsupervised with a handgun could create problems if caught. Before carrying, check with DNR and the state statutues.

I am not trying to provide legal advise. I think you should be more aware of the situation you can unknowingly get in to.

Cougars in Wisconsin? If you plan on hunting out of state, check their laws, too.

cpttango30 09-17-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ploofy (Post 351980)

First you say nothing to your shooting skills other than I AM LOOKING FOR MY FIRST GUN. When people start talking about a first gun they are normally new to guns all together. You then get pissy because we say 22lr but you don't say in your OP that you have been shooting for 1 day of 10 years. At 16 I was shooting 44mags and 357 mags.

OK You are not sure what you want it for. Your 16 and can't legally own or carry a pistol but your going to carry anyways.
You want a pistol big enough to take out a cougar if you walk into the killing field UNARMED. Can someone tell me the size of a pistol that will kill a cougar if you are UNARMED. I am assuming that you mean not carrying a pistol and not unarmed as in had both your arms cut off.

OH man Let your dad pick out the guns.

ScottA 09-17-2010 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 352087)
You then get pissy because we say 22lr but you don't say in your OP that you have been shooting for 1 day of 10 years.

:confused:

There was nothing in his response to indicate he was getting pissy.

danf_fl 09-17-2010 12:21 PM

I found this:
Wisconsin wildlife officials pursue mountain lion | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ