i need help picking my first gun. - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > i need help picking my first gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 02:35 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i wonder if i have outgrown my 22 rimfire pistol?
Bite your tongue! If I got rid of my 22's I'd have a lot less guns

I have no idea how you outgrow any firearm or caliber. I still have fun with my cheapo Crossman air gun. And I shoot 22's more than anything more for the fun than anything else. I can't say I am a big fan of a 9mm. I have a couple of them and they do get shot. But I've never liked the 9mm as much as I have my 45ACP 1911's. It's just a preference. I even have a 9mm 1911. Talk about low recoil!

If it's just a preference then get what you want OP. What you need to do is put your hands on as many different guns as you can. Most all modern pistols are pretty reliable and accurate enough for what people need them for. So it all comes down to how it feels in your hand. I think nothing feels better than a 1911. But for others it's not. There are several others I have that I do like a lot. But the 1911 if my hands down favorite. Check out some used Sigs, the Spinger XD is about my fav if I was looking for a striker fired pistol. The FNP/FNX pistols are my fav for poly framed guns in general. Bersa makes some pretty good guns that wont break your bank account. I have recently shot a couple of the SD Smiths and those did feel pretty nice.

You just have to handle as many as you can. Because what feels best is what you will shoot best. If you can't handle it as well then it is not much more than an inaccurate paperweight. And that is a much bigger waste of money then almost anything I can think of.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #42
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22108 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
Bite your tongue! If I got rid of my 22's I'd have a lot less guns

I have no idea how you outgrow any firearm or caliber. I still have fun with my cheapo Crossman air gun. And I shoot 22's more than anything more for the fun than anything else. I can't say I am a big fan of a 9mm. I have a couple of them and they do get shot. But I've never liked the 9mm as much as I have my 45ACP 1911's. It's just a preference. I even have a 9mm 1911. Talk about low recoil!

If it's just a preference then get what you want OP. What you need to do is put your hands on as many different guns as you can. Most all modern pistols are pretty reliable and accurate enough for what people need them for. So it all comes down to how it feels in your hand. I think nothing feels better than a 1911. But for others it's not. There are several others I have that I do like a lot. But the 1911 if my hands down favorite. Check out some used Sigs, the Spinger XD is about my fav if I was looking for a striker fired pistol. The FNP/FNX pistols are my fav for poly framed guns in general. Bersa makes some pretty good guns that wont break your bank account. I have recently shot a couple of the SD Smiths and those did feel pretty nice.

You just have to handle as many as you can. Because what feels best is what you will shoot best. If you can't handle it as well then it is not much more than an inaccurate paperweight. And that is a much bigger waste of money then almost anything I can think of.
okay, i bit my tongue! happy now?

i haven't outgrown my 9mm pistol, but it is my least shot pistol these days. i just have others that i working with these days and it gets kind of left behind!
Old 06-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #43
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 990 Times on 653 Posts
Likes Given: 1274

Comparatively 9mm are cheap to load for and shoot.... But I do understand your thoughts towards a 40SW given its rightfully earned popularity . Your Sig choice of the 220 is I believe the 45ACP.

Anyway what pistol style fits your hand should be your deciding issue, if it fits well to you then you will ultimately shoot it well be it an XD a Smith, Beretta, or whatever... Don't be afraid of searching the used pistol racks jewels and deals can be found. Go out find a few choices then come back and ask specifics to what you've gathered.

Good Luck, be responsible learn all you can and pass it on wisely.

Become steel or get cut.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 04:46 AM   #44

Liked 47 Times on 33 Posts

I'm 20, I'm loving my 9mm all day long, and if you feel like you'll outgrow it, that's what you can buy more guns for
A great 9mm is the Taurus pt92, I want one...

Old 06-26-2013, 09:29 AM   #45

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
okay, i bit my tongue! happy now?

i haven't outgrown my 9mm pistol, but it is my least shot pistol these days. i just have others that i working with these days and it gets kind of left behind!
That's kind of where I"m at. I just don't shoot them as much. Strange being ammo cost being what it is but I have a good bit for all calibers and I"m sure "Ill get to it at some point. That 9mm 1911 is a dream to shoot though. The thought was to tie in my 1911 love and cheaper ammo and that still is the case but there is just something about a 45ACP that gets me going so I shoot that most the time. Unless I'm on another 22 rampage. Then it's all day 22 fest and I still want to shoot more. Some of the most fun you can have with your pants on for me is shooting my 22s WEll, I could go sans pants but as a public service I try to stay as un-naked where people might see me. Being hung like a horsefly might distract a passing car and the laughter could cause an accident!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 AM   #46

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You can't go wrong with a Glock 22.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:02 PM   #47
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22108 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix1904 View Post
You can't go wrong with a Glock 22.
what if it doesn't fit the person's hand?

Old 06-26-2013, 05:51 PM   #48
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 865 Times on 452 Posts

Since you admit you will barely shoot, go check out something like a Ruger P95, cheap, reliable and accurate. Basically pick something cheap and learn some basics from your family, most important is to have fun and be safe!

Old 06-26-2013, 11:17 PM   #49

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Second the ruger p95. I have the metal framed version p89. Extremely reliable, durable, and budget prices.

Old 06-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #50

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Ok so I reviewed a lot of guns. I liked the sig sp2022. I seem the .40 for $444 shipped. I think that's a good price. I searched the forum for opinions on the gun, and seemed it was well loved by members.

So my questions are

Is this a good price for the gun?
What steps do I have to do to register it in NJ if I buy it online?
And are there any opinions on this gun?