Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > i need help picking my first gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 12:46 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thanks Axxe i will definitely keep that in mind

Old 06-26-2013, 12:49 AM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter

I think you need to cool your jets a little. It is starting to sound a lot like you are jumping into this blind.

Go to a range that rents and try a few out.
Good advice. If you are only going to shoot 4-6 times per year, I suggest a milder recoiling caliber than .40. I really do recommend the 9mm. .40 has fairly snappy recoil, while 9mm barely has any at all. If you aren't going to shoot enough to even get comfortable with the gun, let alone the recoil, then 9mm is really the way to go.

Honestly, based off the information you've provided, I would get the Beretta 92. You mentioned the M9, well they're almost the same gun except the M9 is the military variant, therefore the 92 is going to be easier to find.

Here's why I'm saying the 92. It is heavy, so felt recoil will be less. 9mm, so felt recoil is once again lessened (plus under normal circumstances it is cheap to buy). It is an extremely proven, reliable design. You won't be carrying so its size isn't an issue. Plus it has good capacity (standard magazines are 15 rounds, unless I'm very much mistaken). Plus, you mentioned you want "all the safety features." We'll I've never heard of a gun, personally, which has a trigger safety, grip safety, thumb safety, decocker, magazine disconnect, plus whatever else safety features I can't even think of right now. But the 92 has a thumb safety which also acts as a decocker.

But honestly, I'm not even sure you should buy a gun. If you are dead set on only shooting 4-6 times per year, with your uncles, why not just use their guns when they come round? That will save you a lot of money. You can just buy ammo in between times they visit so you aren't using all theirs.

This is possibly one of the few situations I would advise someone against getting a gun. If its almost never going to get used, you won't be using it for self defense (probably not for home defense either), its not a collector piece, and really you just want to feel like Billy Badass, what's the point in having one?

Just buy a 500 S&W Magnum. I doubt you'll be outgrowing that one anytime soon, Mr. Badass.

Always have clean socks.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:51 AM   #33
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19814 Times on 11249 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

Quote:
Originally Posted by savjuda View Post
thanks Axxe i will definitely keep that in mind
if you find something that really interests you, and know nothing about it or feel like a saleman is pushing you into a certain direction other than what appealsto you and want more info, come on the forum and ask. two good reasons why. one, we have nothing to gain from what choice you make, as we aren't trying to push a certain brand or type of firearm. second, there's a pretty good chance, that out of over 45,000 members on this forum, at least one of them will have some experiance with whatever you find and are interested in!

Old 06-26-2013, 12:59 AM   #34

Liked 741 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm View Post
Good advice. If you are only going to shoot 4-6 times per year, I suggest a milder recoiling caliber than .40. I really do recommend the 9mm. .40 has fairly snappy recoil, while 9mm barely has any at all. If you aren't going to shoot enough to even get comfortable with the gun, let alone the recoil, then 9mm is really the way to go.

Honestly, based off the information you've provided, I would get the Beretta 92. You mentioned the M9, well they're almost the same gun except the M9 is the military variant, therefore the 92 is going to be easier to find.

Here's why I'm saying the 92. It is heavy, so felt recoil will be less. 9mm, so felt recoil is once again lessened (plus under normal circumstances it is cheap to buy). It is an extremely proven, reliable design. You won't be carrying so its size isn't an issue. Plus it has good capacity (standard magazines are 15 rounds, unless I'm very much mistaken). Plus, you mentioned you want "all the safety features." We'll I've never heard of a gun, personally, which has a trigger safety, grip safety, thumb safety, decocker, magazine disconnect, plus whatever else safety features I can't even think of right now. But the 92 has a thumb safety which also acts as a decocker.

But honestly, I'm not even sure you should buy a gun. If you are dead set on only shooting 4-6 times per year, with your uncles, why not just use their guns when they come round? That will save you a lot of money. You can just buy ammo in between times they visit so you aren't using all theirs.

This is possibly one of the few situations I would advise someone against getting a gun. If its almost never going to get used, you won't be using it for self defense (probably not for home defense either), its not a collector piece, and really you just want to feel like Billy Badass, what's the point in having one?

Just buy a 500 S&W Magnum. I doubt you'll be outgrowing that one anytime soon, Mr. Badass.
When i want to feel like Billy Badass, i strap on the gun belt, put my .44 Blackhawks in their holsters. and prance around in front of the mirror..........

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 06-26-2013, 01:04 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3721 Times on 2281 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl

When i want to feel like Billy Badass, i strap on the gun belt, put my .44 Blackhawks in their holsters. and prance around in front of the mirror..........
I'm thinking that would do it for me too. Maybe a cowboy hat perched on the ole noggin, and a Winchester resting on my shoulder.

Always have clean socks.

readygirl Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 01:14 AM   #36

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I know the Glock fanboys are going to skewer me for this, but ive shot Glock, Springfield XD, and Ruger SR40 platforms.
My favorite hands down is the Springfield XD. Its a straight shooter right out of the box, is SUPER reliable and takedown/cleaning is a snap. Ive fed mine lead round nose, full metal jacket, jacketed hollow points, factory and home loads. Everything ive fed it goes through with zero issue. It even ate some home loads that wouldnt feed through my buddy's Glock.

Just my 2¢

Old 06-26-2013, 01:22 AM   #37

Liked 419 Times on 233 Posts

If you want people at the range to like your gun then save a few more dollars and get a fnx 45 with a can!!!

Old 06-26-2013, 01:27 AM   #38

Liked 419 Times on 233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by readygirl

Ummmmm can we get a picture of that??? Gun belt and 44's only. Cowboy hat is optional

Pictures or it didn't happen. Lmao
Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #39

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm

Gotta agree with JW. Seems your more worried about comments and getting laughed at at the range, ( your image) I don't think your ready yet.
Save your money. Shoot with your family. Learn from them.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 AM   #40

Liked 26 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWSchramm

+1 for this. My first handgun was an M9A1 (92 variant) and it was a great starter gun. Heavy, double action/single action, accurate, low recoil, big ass safety/decocker, easy to break down and clean, and...pretty. :-)

Only caution is if you have small hands, as it is a large handgun.