i need help picking my first gun. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

i need help picking my first gun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 12:08 AM   #11
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by savjuda View Post
i apologize for the "outgrowing a 9mm" comment. lol I forgot to also factor in the price. I don't want to spend over $600. I will basically use my gun for the range. I plan to be at the range, 4-6 times a year. I have two uncles that were police officers and enjoy shooting. They each come up to Jersey just about 3 a year. So I am planning on shooting with them when they come up. I used the analogy about buying a car. I don't want a Hyundai and can't afford a Bentley. So i want something in between that i can afford.
first of all, welcome to the forum and stop by the Introductions Section and say hello and tell us a little about yourself.

second, we like yanking the chain a little on a new guy! personally i shoot a lot of different handgun calibers, from small to large. i like anyone else do have my preferences and there is nothing wrong with having a preference. but i enjoy shooting just about anything.

third, if you really like the Beretta M9, they do make it in a 40, it's called a Model 96. best suggestion, go hit the gun stores and see what fits your hand the best. try out a lot of different ones until you find what suits you.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:10 AM   #12

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

M&P . Comfortable. Good trigger. Made in USA

Old 06-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #13

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

Axxe gives good advice. You have many choices.

Last edited by fordracing; 06-26-2013 at 12:14 AM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 12:14 AM   #14

Liked 569 Times on 303 Posts

Is this going to be a carry piece?? Personally I say get a a g19 ( I can hear the boo hiss and feel the death looks ) but its hard to beat a g19 for reliability, parts availability, 9 is cheaper to shoot.

You won't out grow a 9. It's going to take you a good many years to actually be able to shoot. I mean really shoot.

Maybe look for a used sig. Deals are out there just have to look a little harder.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing View Post
M&P . Comfortable. Good trigger. Made in USA
i like the M&P pistols. the ergos are similiar to the SA XDm series to me.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
Is this going to be a carry piece?? Personally I say get a a g19 ( I can hear the boo hiss and feel the death looks ) but its hard to beat a g19 for reliability, parts availability, 9 is cheaper to shoot.

You won't out grow a 9. It's going to take you a good many years to actually be able to shoot. I mean really shoot.

Maybe look for a used sig. Deals are out there just have to look a little harder.
CT, but what if the G19 doesn't fit his hand? not saying anything against Glock by anymeans, but i have found others that fit my hand better than a Glock. as that i have been shooting for many years, it's easy for me to adapt to a different pistol. might be a little hard for someone new to pistols though.

this is why, i usually never recommend a particular brand of any pistol unless asked about it and i have experiance with it. what fits one person might not fit another. a person needs to find what fits them well, because the better it fits that person's hand, usually the more accurate they will be.
HOSSFLY Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

as of right now i don't care if it is a hammer or strike fired. I would like this purchase to have all the safety features.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

CT, but what if the G19 doesn't fit his hand? not saying anything against Glock by anymeans, but i have found others that fit my hand better than a Glock. as that i have been shooting for many years, it's easy for me to adapt to a different pistol. might be a little hard for someone new to pistols though.

this is why, i usually never recommend a particular brand of any pistol unless asked about it and i have experiance with it. what fits one person might not fit another. a person needs to find what fits them well, because the better it fits that person's hand, usually the more accurate they will be.
Good point.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

not to carry. Thanks guys are all are great help. i will fill out info.

Old 06-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by savjuda
as of right now i don't care if it is a hammer or strike fired. I would like this purchase to have all the safety features.
I think you need to cool your jets a little. It is starting to sound a lot like you are jumping into this blind.

Go to a range that rents and try a few out.

Now take a breath and relax a little. The people here have tons of experience and are more than happy to help, but you need to be willing to listen and accept the advice as well.