I need to get started!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I need to get started!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2009, 05:49 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I need to get started!

Hey guys,

My name is Louis I;m from Las Vegas, NV and this seems like a GREAT forums, glad to have stumbled across it!

I actually have a newb question that will probably get a lot of opinion responses, but I'm in need of help.

Heres the run down:

I'm 21, 22 in January
I;ve only shot 3 guns in my whole life, a cap gun, plastic pellet gun, and a actual 12-gauge while skeet shooting for 3 hrs straight. I;m 5'6" tall, about 240LBS very stocky guy, not really fat but I can handle a big gun.

I have excellent credit, no felonies, nothing of any kind. I;m married, and I wish to start a career in law enforcement soon.

In short, I would like to purchase my first HAND GUN.
I;m sure you hear this a lot from gun newbs, but I admire the Desert eagle 50. AE I just love the way it looks, the large caliber, the wide platform for modifications, finishes, brands, models, sizes... its great! (except the price)

I would like something thats not hard to shoot, nice caliber, nice weight, looks good, American of course, something that I can qualify for a concealed permit with ease, and one that I can carry with me for law enforcement, armed guard, and of course home and family protection. All at an affordable price!

Any ideas?

Thanks guys,
-Louie Two Shoes
-Louis

Last edited by canebrake; 11-03-2009 at 07:33 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2009, 07:37 AM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

to the FTF community Louis, glad to have you aboard!

You asked, here goes; "DO NOT BUY THE DESERT EAGLE!" cane

All you need here is a thick skin and the ability to laugh at anything, including yourself!

FTF Newcomer's Guide << Click Here

How To Post Pics on FTF << Click Here

Join the NRA FREE!! (Yep, FREE)

NRA - Join the NRA - Bonus Offer << Click Here

Already a member? Sign up your wife, kids, neighbors......

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-03-2009, 08:07 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'd go with the Smith and Wesson M&P for an American auto.

Ditch the Desert Eagle idea, it's not for a beginner at all.

Old 11-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #4

thansk for te replie, I love your avatar, Mr. Lebowski..

YESSS, f*** it, the bumbs will always lose Mr. lebowski, the bubs will always lose!

LOL!

THe Deagle is just my child's thing in my mind that says biggest and badest, not practical.. like when I bought my 300C, I got my hemi 5.7, do I need the 6.1? does the extra weight to power offset my power ratio to price?

No the 5.7 tuned up is just as good if not better!
LOL!

I was looking at a few guns since my post

Beretta 92FS
Beretta 96
Beretta 90two TYPE F
Beretta 90two TYPE 6
Kimber CDP PRO

If I was to stick with the 1911A1 platform what brands and models do you fine gentlemen suggest for a virgin blood such as myself?

Old 11-03-2009, 09:59 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Colt or Kimber, but I like Dan Wesson's myself.

What price range are you looking at?

What will the pistol be used for?

Is it for carry?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #6

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiguy View Post
THe Deagle is just my child's thing in my mind that says biggest and badest, not practical.. like when I bought my 300C, I got my hemi 5.7, do I need the 6.1? does the extra weight to power offset my power ratio to price?
No the 5.7 tuned up is just as good if not better!

I was looking at a few guns since my post

Beretta 92FS
Beretta 96
Beretta 90two TYPE F
Beretta 90two TYPE 6
Kimber CDP PRO

If I was to stick with the 1911A1 platform what brands and models do you fine gentlemen suggest for a virgin blood such as myself?
I like the cut of your jib.

Now we're talking! Guns and cars, it just doesn't get any better than that!

** NOTE **

I am rabidly biased to Colt's 1911 pattern pistol!

** NOTE **

** You have been warned!

The best all-around handgun IMHO, is the Colt Model O480XSE Light Weight Commander:

Regardless of mark, you seriously need to do yourself a favor and look at the 4.25" Commander.

Do not buy ANY gun until you have fired the model you are looking at and can say, "This is THE one!"

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 11-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemiguy View Post
As you can see, our friend Cane is a Colt snob - which isn't a bad thing. Depending on your budget and the intended purpose, there are a lot of fine 1911s out there. Tell us a bit more about the 1911 you want and we'll give some sage advice...

Old 11-03-2009, 03:09 PM   #8

Do you know The Gun Store in tropicana? If not is between pecos and eastern. Go and talk to Mike Rogers. He was my coworker and he is the best that it is. He will walk you through everything. He used to work for the Nuclear Comission SRT. The knowledge that he has is overwhelming. Go on a Friday he might be there.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome to the FTF community.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-04-2009, 10:24 PM   #10

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Hemiguy,
Do you know which police agency you will be going for? If so, I'd see if they issue firearms. Most, if not all, police departments which do not issue guns, have certain standards for officer's privately owned guns. Only major brands, and models, with ammunition restrictions. Most only allow 9mm, .40 S&W and .45acp. I'd recommend something that begins with the number "4," but that's just me.

Many police chiefs don't like 1911a1's. They tend to freak out when they see cocked hammers, because they are either gun-ignorant, or under the control of ignorant city/county attorneys. Smaller departments seem to be more realistic, because for the most part, their chiefs aren't too far removed from working the streets.

Many departments like the Glock-like striker fired, double action only pistols. I would be very surprised to learn of any US police department that would permit an officer to carry a Desert Eagle.

Other options are SigSaur, Smith & Wesson M&P's, Springfield XD / XDM, etc. Do your homework and make a smart decision. Don't run out and buy any gun just to get one.

Good luck.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved