Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I need cleaning help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 02:12 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I need cleaning help

I am new to hand guns and need some help with cleaning. I have a Glock 23 & a HK USP 45. The Glock is only a month old, so basically new, and I used it for my pistol basics class. The HK is from 95, but my FFL guy said the gun looks like it might have had 2-300 rounds through it. No marks, no scuffs, nothing, looks and fires perfect.

I have a bore snake and I know how to use it properly. I know about oiling the rails. How do I properly use a nylon brush? What parts do I clean with it? Do I use it with any type of liquid or solvent? Any suggestions on a cleaning rag/towel or will a regular kitchen towel work?

Any other cleaning suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-09-2008, 02:26 AM   #2

Default Cleaning help

I am new to hand guns and need some help with cleaning. I have a Glock 23 & a HK USP 45. The Glock is only a month old, so basically new, and I used it for my pistol basics class. The HK is from 95, but my FFL guy said the gun looks like it might have had 2-300 rounds through it. No marks, no scuffs, nothing, looks and fires perfect.

I have a bore snake and I know how to use it properly. I know about oiling the rails. How do I properly use a nylon brush? What parts do I clean with it? Do I use it with any type of liquid or solvent? Any suggestions on a cleaning rag/towel or will a regular kitchen towel work?

Any other cleaning suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:16 AM   #3

My first question would be do you know how to "field strip" both guns? Meaning taking the slides off and removing the barrels. Tell us that first, and if you don't know I or someone else will jump in with that first then help you with cleaning the parts you will have in front of you.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:48 AM   #4

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1933

MESA TACTICAL REVIEW

Old 10-09-2008, 03:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oking View Post
My first question would be do you know how to "field strip" both guns? Meaning taking the slides off and removing the barrels. Tell us that first, and if you don't know I or someone else will jump in with that first then help you with cleaning the parts you will have in front of you.
No problem there. I have cleaned my Glock a few times, used the bore snake with solvent & added oil to the rails.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:28 AM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

The only place I use a brush on my pistols is on the chamber/feed ramp, and I use a wire brush instead of nylon. IMO, a nylon brislte brush is basically useless for removing powder/lead/fouling in that area. I'm a Glock fan but I also have a SIG P220. I use Shooter's Choice 'Zero Friction' in the needle oiler bottle for my slide rails. One drop in the rear of the slots, then put it on the cleaning bench muzzle end down and let the oil run down the rails while I clean other parts. Use a q-tip to dob up the excess at the end.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #7

Can anyone suggest a good bore cleaner/solvent that does not smell as strongly as Hoppe's? Also a good lead removing cloth/towel for the inside of the slide and the outer of the barrel?

Thanks

Old 10-10-2008, 03:33 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

http://www.gunzilla.us/
No hazardous chemicals and virtually no smell but maybe the scent of pine! I've been using/testing this for about a month now. It has effectively replaced four of my normal cleaning/lube products. I use old worn out 100% cotton t-shirts for my gun wiping.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
No hazardous chemicals and virtually no smell but maybe the scent of pine! I've been using/testing this for about a month now. It has effectively replaced four of my normal cleaning/lube products. I use old worn out 100% cotton t-shirts for my gun wiping.
That stuff sounds interesting. Do you know if Gunzilla is available anywhere other than through the website? Thanks.

Eric

Old 10-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
So Gunzilla is a bore solvent?