Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I need advise in selling my handgun.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I need advise in selling my handgun.

I know that this is not the place for selling stuff. I am only seeking advice. I am not advertising. I have been working with a Tanfoglio Giuseppe .380 ACP for my mom. She is not strong enough to work the slide. So I've been looking at .38 spl. for her. I really don't think she will ever have to use it, but want her to be able to use it if she ever has to. Which brings me to the point. I need to sell the .380 in order to buy the .38. My problem is that I don't know what I don't know. Like, I don't know what legal stuff I need to be aware of. I certinly don't want to sell to some douche thats going to go and do something stupid with it. I think thats my biggest fear. I could sure use some help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5330 Times on 2782 Posts
Likes Given: 339

safest way to sell a gun is to use a ffl dealer for the transfer. most states you can do direct person to person sales but thats how most criminals get their guns. anyone not willing to use a ffl to do the transfer you shouldnt sell to.

i never sell a gun that doesnt go through a ffl transfer. that way you have a small comfort factor the person your selling to isnt going to use it for illicit activity.

normally i have the buyer pick up the cost of xfer.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-14-2012, 05:37 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Good advice from 2nd poster. Maybe your gunshop will take a trade in on the .38. Or you could consign your .380 there. Around here, 10 or 15% is the norm.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

The very first thing you should do is check the laws in your state.

Frequently, you'll take a bath by trading a gun in. The consignment rate mentioned in the third post doesn't sound too bad, though your area might vary.

The transfer idea mentioned in the second post is a good one, though some gun shops don't like doing them — check first.

An alternative that I frequently see here in Florida is for the seller to only sell to someone with a Concealed Weapons License (Florida's term for a CCW/CWP). That way you know there has been a background check done on the buyer.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 02-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #5

Thanks for the help.