I learned a very important lesson today
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I learned a very important lesson today

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 AM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 773

Default I learned a very important lesson today

So I picked up a new Ruger SR1911 today. This is my first 1911 and went to disassemble the pistol this evening. I can already tell that those of you who own 1911's have a grin on your face. "I know what he did... snicker"

For those of you not familiar with 1911's and interested in picking one up, there is a critical point in the disassembly process that you need to pay very close attention to. When you go to twist the barrel bushing, DO NOT under any circumstances take your fingers or hand off of the spring cap. If you do, bad things will happen... bad things.

Thankfully, neither the bushing nor the cap hit my wife, the dog, me, or the television. They did, however, make a nice mark on the ceiling. And they thankfully landed in the same spot on the other side of the room.

Lesson learned.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #2

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
So I picked up a new Ruger SR1911 today. This is my first 1911 and went to disassemble the pistol this evening. I can already tell that those of you who own 1911's have a grin on your face. "I know what he did... snicker"

For those of you not familiar with 1911's and interested in picking one up, there is a critical point in the disassembly process that you need to pay very close attention to. When you go to twist the barrel bushing, DO NOT under any circumstances take your fingers or hand off of the spring cap. If you do, bad things will happen... bad things.

Thankfully, neither the bushing nor the cap hit my wife, the dog, me, or the television. They did, however, make a nice mark on the ceiling. And they thankfully landed in the same spot on the other side of the room.

Lesson learned.
Lol yeah, after thinking about doing a build your own 1911 and reading some schematics and DIY material, I came to a very decided NEVER!!! LOL

Glad it came out as well as it could've.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:14 AM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Lol it only takes once to learn that lesson.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:23 AM   #4

Liked 2525 Times on 1135 Posts
Likes Given: 2423

I had one get away from me at the range never found the plug luckily the spring didn't get away. I keep a spare now.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:03 AM   #5
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1579 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 8166

I've seen it happen, but I've never had it happen to me. Must be related to the fact that dad carried one in the Corps for over 15 years. Needless to say, he warned me about that little problem with them. When a Gunny tells you about a teardown procedure, it is in your best intrest to listen and follow his directions.

Glad you found theparts, and no one got hit. The spring and the cap can leave one he!! of a welt. I've fallen victim to an "Oh $h1t!" moment once or twice.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 12-28-2012, 08:06 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post

Lesson learned.
Been there, done that. Got the parts receipt to prove it. I did mine out on the patio so I wouldn't stink up the house with Hoppes. Unfortunately, I have a pool. Luckily the splash let me know where the parts had landed.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:12 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8868 Times on 3841 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

SPROING! Aw, CRAP!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 12-28-2012, 11:21 AM   #8

Liked 2180 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

At least you found it fast- Bet there are a few did that still looking

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 71 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Brownell's has a bushing wrench with an extension bump to contain the spring & cap while manipulating the bushing.

Old 12-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #10

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

LOL I disassemble AR's inside a dry-cleaning bag!