I have, too, shot autoloaders........
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > I have, too, shot autoloaders........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 262 Times on 162 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default I have, too, shot autoloaders........

Most folks hereabouts think of me as a crusty old sixgunner with no auto loader time. Nothing could be further from the truth. Here is my current auto loader:

Ruger, of course, 22/45. Nice, accurate little gun. Sort of a pain to keep refilling that magazine, but otherwise pleasant to shoot.

I've had considerable experience with autoloders. I shot both .22 and .45 on Army pistol teams during the mid 'Fifties. Owned a Colt Gold Cup for awhile. Used a borrowed .38 Special Gold Cup for awhile. My favorite pistol remains the .45 Government Model or Gold Cup.

Two things I didn't really like about autos, they are short range propositions, seventy five yards about their limit, and the peculiar recoil characteristics of autoloaders. And, well, really three things, they throw my brass everywhere, a pain to retrieve.

My Gold Cup .45 was a good gun out to about seventy five yards on crows. Never used one on groundhogs, but friend of mine used an AMT Hardballer to good effect out to fifty~seventy-five yards on the critters.

But the recoil! There are three distracting "impulses" to me: the recoil of firing, the slide hitting its stop, and the jolt of the slide closing chambering a new round. Then, on the last shot, the lack of the last two impulses. This, plus the bright blur of the ejected case, I find distracting.

And the Luger has that toggle link jumping up into your line of sight, often times silhouetted in the muzzle flash.

So, pardon me if I stick with my revolving cylinder pistols.

Bob Wright

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-05-2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3051 Times on 1755 Posts
Likes Given: 1305

Bob, I understand your position, but I have to counter....

I like the semi-auto over the revolver (though I do have some wheel guns). I have taken more than $1 on bets when using my 10mm at distances over 130 yard on the shooting range.
The brass kicking up and out is a good reason to exercise (the .38 Super shuffle). It is also nice when the wife picks up the brass (her bending over and such).

The recoil is kinda like a scotch whiskey (you "acquire" it).

Everyone has the right to their opinion, and I do respect yours.

But my wish is that everyone would try to find what works for them, and do it in a safe manner.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 11-05-2012, 08:38 PM   #3

Make no mistake, I'm not putting down anyone else's choice, just stating my own, after considerable experience.

Bob Wright

Old 11-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5916 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 415

Checkout a handy little thing called "ultimate clip loader" best invention for 22pistols EVER!!!

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6576 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I've shot both, and honestly I love both. I certainly understand having a preference though. I guess I'm just not a picky shooter.

Old 11-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #6

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I've shot both, and honestly I love both. I certainly understand having a preference though. I guess I'm just not a picky shooter.
I don't know what it is about me but if I get my hands on it I have to shoot it. I have shot everything but a damascus barrel shotgun. If I get my hands on a damascus barrel shotgun I will likely find a way to fire it. But when the chips are down and my life is on the line I want a big revolver that I can use as a hammer if I need too. That is nothing more than my two cents worth.

Shoot whatever you please in a manner that represents gun owners in a positive light. That is my advice for all my friends here.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

DocWard Likes This 
Old 11-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5916 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 415

here this is it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #8

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
Most folks hereabouts think of me as a crusty old sixgunner with no auto loader time. Nothing could be further from the truth. Here is my current auto loader:
Is the "crusty" part still in question?

Old 11-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #9

Quote:
The_Kid Is the "crusty" part still in question?
That depends upon whom you ask.

Bob Wright

Old 11-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #10

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright

Ruger, of course, 22/45. Nice, accurate little gun. Sort of a pain to keep refilling that magazine, but otherwise pleasant to shoot.

I've had considerable experience with autoloders. I shot both .22 and .45 on Army pistol teams during the mid 'Fifties. Owned a Colt Gold Cup for awhile. Used a borrowed .38 Special Gold Cup for awhile. My favorite pistol remains the .45 Government Model or Gold Cup.

Two things I didn't really like about autos, they are short range propositions, seventy five yards about their limit, and the peculiar recoil characteristics of autoloaders. And, well, really three things, they throw my brass everywhere, a pain to retrieve.

My Gold Cup .45 was a good gun out to about seventy five yards on crows. Never used one on groundhogs, but friend of mine used an AMT Hardballer to good effect out to fifty~seventy-five yards on the critters.

But the recoil! There are three distracting "impulses" to me: the recoil of firing, the slide hitting its stop, and the jolt of the slide closing chambering a new round. Then, on the last shot, the lack of the last two impulses. This, plus the bright blur of the ejected case, I find distracting.

And the Luger has that toggle link jumping up into your line of sight, often times silhouetted in the muzzle flash.

So, pardon me if I stick with my revolving cylinder pistols.

Bob Wright
You're an interesting sort of fella, Bob. I can only speak for myself here, but I hadn't, at all, assumed you this "crusty old revolver diehard". I actually figured you one to own several autoloaders as well as revolvers, perhaps, even, an equal amount of each.

I see your points though; very valid reasons. About the brass spitting, its very true, my semis throw them like crazy and each gun, of course, does so in a different direction and distance. I use a large tarp and stand to the left front side of it, then just pickup the edges, when done, and they all fall to the middle. The ocassional stray will miss, but overall I find it a very efficient way of handling the situation.

I still find it so interesting what will affect one but not another, in anything. I have no issues with anticipation of the slide blowback or racking. I'd guess it has something to do with what you started with or grew up using and seeing being used. I can't blame one for being uneasy with the idea of some large hunk of metal flying back toward their face at alarming speed. The thought never even crosses my mind.

Great gun you've got there, Bob. I've thought seriously about picking up a 22/45 several times, may still yet, someday.

Anyway, happy hunting/shooting
BTB