Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   I have, too, shot autoloaders........ (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/i-have-too-shot-autoloaders-75693/)

Bob Wright 11-05-2012 02:17 PM

I have, too, shot autoloaders........

Most folks hereabouts think of me as a crusty old sixgunner with no auto loader time. Nothing could be further from the truth. Here is my current auto loader:

http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2.../000_87401.jpg

Ruger, of course, 22/45. Nice, accurate little gun. Sort of a pain to keep refilling that magazine, but otherwise pleasant to shoot.

I've had considerable experience with autoloders. I shot both .22 and .45 on Army pistol teams during the mid 'Fifties. Owned a Colt Gold Cup for awhile. Used a borrowed .38 Special Gold Cup for awhile. My favorite pistol remains the .45 Government Model or Gold Cup.

Two things I didn't really like about autos, they are short range propositions, seventy five yards about their limit, and the peculiar recoil characteristics of autoloaders. And, well, really three things, they throw my brass everywhere, a pain to retrieve.

My Gold Cup .45 was a good gun out to about seventy five yards on crows. Never used one on groundhogs, but friend of mine used an AMT Hardballer to good effect out to fifty~seventy-five yards on the critters.

But the recoil! There are three distracting "impulses" to me: the recoil of firing, the slide hitting its stop, and the jolt of the slide closing chambering a new round. Then, on the last shot, the lack of the last two impulses. This, plus the bright blur of the ejected case, I find distracting.

And the Luger has that toggle link jumping up into your line of sight, often times silhouetted in the muzzle flash.

So, pardon me if I stick with my revolving cylinder pistols.

Bob Wright

danf_fl 11-05-2012 06:44 PM

Bob, I understand your position, but I have to counter....

I like the semi-auto over the revolver (though I do have some wheel guns). I have taken more than $1 on bets when using my 10mm at distances over 130 yard on the shooting range.
The brass kicking up and out is a good reason to exercise (the .38 Super shuffle). It is also nice when the wife picks up the brass (her bending over and such).

The recoil is kinda like a scotch whiskey (you "acquire" it).

Everyone has the right to their opinion, and I do respect yours.

But my wish is that everyone would try to find what works for them, and do it in a safe manner.

Bob Wright 11-05-2012 07:38 PM

Make no mistake, I'm not putting down anyone else's choice, just stating my own, after considerable experience.

Bob Wright

JonM 11-05-2012 07:48 PM

Checkout a handy little thing called "ultimate clip loader" best invention for 22pistols EVER!!!

texaswoodworker 11-05-2012 08:05 PM

I've shot both, and honestly I love both. I certainly understand having a preference though. I guess I'm just not a picky shooter. :D

Old_Crow 11-05-2012 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 1003048)
I've shot both, and honestly I love both. I certainly understand having a preference though. I guess I'm just not a picky shooter. :D

I don't know what it is about me but if I get my hands on it I have to shoot it. I have shot everything but a damascus barrel shotgun. If I get my hands on a damascus barrel shotgun I will likely find a way to fire it. But when the chips are down and my life is on the line I want a big revolver that I can use as a hammer if I need too. That is nothing more than my two cents worth.

Shoot whatever you please in a manner that represents gun owners in a positive light. That is my advice for all my friends here. :)

JonM 11-05-2012 10:29 PM

here this is it

The_Kid 11-06-2012 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Wright (Post 1002709)
Most folks hereabouts think of me as a crusty old sixgunner with no auto loader time. Nothing could be further from the truth. Here is my current auto loader:

Is the "crusty" part still in question? ;)

Bob Wright 11-06-2012 05:46 PM

Quote:

The_Kid Is the "crusty" part still in question?
That depends upon whom you ask.

Bob Wright

BeyondTheBox 11-06-2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Wright

Ruger, of course, 22/45. Nice, accurate little gun. Sort of a pain to keep refilling that magazine, but otherwise pleasant to shoot.

I've had considerable experience with autoloders. I shot both .22 and .45 on Army pistol teams during the mid 'Fifties. Owned a Colt Gold Cup for awhile. Used a borrowed .38 Special Gold Cup for awhile. My favorite pistol remains the .45 Government Model or Gold Cup.

Two things I didn't really like about autos, they are short range propositions, seventy five yards about their limit, and the peculiar recoil characteristics of autoloaders. And, well, really three things, they throw my brass everywhere, a pain to retrieve.

My Gold Cup .45 was a good gun out to about seventy five yards on crows. Never used one on groundhogs, but friend of mine used an AMT Hardballer to good effect out to fifty~seventy-five yards on the critters.

But the recoil! There are three distracting "impulses" to me: the recoil of firing, the slide hitting its stop, and the jolt of the slide closing chambering a new round. Then, on the last shot, the lack of the last two impulses. This, plus the bright blur of the ejected case, I find distracting.

And the Luger has that toggle link jumping up into your line of sight, often times silhouetted in the muzzle flash.

So, pardon me if I stick with my revolving cylinder pistols.

Bob Wright

You're an interesting sort of fella, Bob. I can only speak for myself here, but I hadn't, at all, assumed you this "crusty old revolver diehard". I actually figured you one to own several autoloaders as well as revolvers, perhaps, even, an equal amount of each.

I see your points though; very valid reasons. About the brass spitting, its very true, my semis throw them like crazy and each gun, of course, does so in a different direction and distance. I use a large tarp and stand to the left front side of it, then just pickup the edges, when done, and they all fall to the middle. The ocassional stray will miss, but overall I find it a very efficient way of handling the situation.

I still find it so interesting what will affect one but not another, in anything. I have no issues with anticipation of the slide blowback or racking. I'd guess it has something to do with what you started with or grew up using and seeing being used. I can't blame one for being uneasy with the idea of some large hunk of metal flying back toward their face at alarming speed. The thought never even crosses my mind.

Great gun you've got there, Bob. I've thought seriously about picking up a 22/45 several times, may still yet, someday.

Anyway, happy hunting/shooting
BTB